Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Professor under fire for telling students they have to work hard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    ...not allowing a balance, which apparently is an issue at Cambridge and potentially deadly.
    What?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      What?
      He's talking about people over working themselves, which can be really bad for you.

Comment

I gotta agree with DE on this one; the prof's advice seems over the top and ignores that some form of balance is good for your mental health. That doesn't mean students should be out partying on weekends or anything of course.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I gotta agree with DE on this one; the prof's advice seems over the top and ignores that some form of balance is good for your mental health. That doesn't mean students should be out partying on weekends or anything of course.
          Seems no different than the kind of advice you'd get from a coach in sports. "Give 110%", and other things they say that seem like they are saying that you are to do the training for sports, and only that while you are under their instruction. I'm pretty sure most realize it's just hyperbole.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            Seems no different than the kind of advice you'd get from a coach in sports. "Give 110%", and other things they say that seem like they are saying that you are to do the training for sports, and only that while you are under their instruction. I'm pretty sure most realize it's just hyperbole.
            I don't see a reason to think it is hyperbole. Based on the professor's last name, it appears he's probably not native to the UK, and he may be from a country with a different academic culture.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              He's talking about people over working themselves, which can be really bad for you.
              What some people call "over-working" is what other people call a typical day. I really don't think this present coddled generation is in any danger of working themselves to death.

Comment

What some people call "over-working" is what other people call a typical day. I really don't think this present coddled generation is in any danger of working themselves to death.
                Many of them I've worked with look at a 40 hour work week with horror. They want more money but when you offer them more than 25 to 30 hours a week they recoil from it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Many of them I've worked with look at a 40 hour work week with horror. They want more money but when you offer them more than 25 to 30 hours a week they recoil from it.
                  And then the people who do work hard and put in the time and get raises and promotions are dismissed as undeservedly "lucky". But as the saying goes, "People say that success is a matter of luck, but the funny thing is, the harder I work, the luckier I get."

Comment

True, it doesn't seem to be a big issue in our society. At least not from what I've seen. Based on what I've heard, it is a much bigger problems in places like Japan, and China.

Comment

It looks like the objections are coming from people who think the professor is not allowing a balance, which apparently is an issue at Cambridge and potentially deadly.
                      Deadly? You are going to drop dead if you don't party?

Comment

LOL at this. Presumably, the students have already taken and passed whatever physics or math prereqs are required for this. The astrophysics curricula seem rigorous:

http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergrad

Some select quotations with colorful words I don't fully understand:

The Physics of Astrophysics plays the dual role of introducing students to a range of exciting topics in contemporary astrophysics, while developing abilities in physical reasoning and order of magnitude estimates in an astronomical context. Statistical Physics (in Mathematics) and Astrophysical Fluids (at the IoA) continue the essential physics education and Stellar Dynamics and Astrophysics (at the IoA) adds a further course in applied astrophysics.

The style throughout requires minimal memorizing of descriptive terminology, and avoids the simple quoting and application of complicated formulae. Rather, lecturers will concentrate on the derivations of fundamentals from first principles, and the teaching of basic understanding..
                        Sounds like a cake-walk.

Here's the syllabus Astrophysics II. It's only 36 pages.

https://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/sites/defa...2003102016.pdf

My favorite line so far:

The IoA staff have coffee (and tea) in the Hoyle building foyer from about 11:00am. There is no charge for
                        coffee for Part II Astrophysics students.
                        Presumably they are cross they have to pay for tea.

fwiw,
                        guacamole
                        Last edited by guacamole; 11-13-2017, 08:56 AM.
                        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                        Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Deadly? You are going to drop dead if you don't party?
                          I'm speaking with the higher rate of depression and suicide among med school students in mind, which can be extrapolated to any high-stress academic environment.

Comment

I'm speaking with the higher rate of depression and suicide among med school students in mind, which can be extrapolated to any high-stress academic environment.
                            so you are saying that they would drop dead if they work hard and don't party.

Not drinking and partying is not the same thing as spending your entire time studying and worrying about school.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                              LOL at this. Presumably, the students have already taken and passed whatever physics or math prereqs are required for this. The astrophysics curricula seem rigorous:

http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergrad

Some select quotations with colorful words I don't fully understand:

Sounds like a cake-walk.

Here's the syllabus Astrophysics II. It's only 36 pages.

https://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/sites/defa...2003102016.pdf

My favorite line so far:

Presumably they are cross they have to pay for tea.

fwiw,
                              guacamole
                              Looks rather familiar. For tests, we were expected to extract useful information from a word problem, derive and solve the equations necessary to get an answer, all without notes or a calculator. We had a 50-minute class period to solve about 5 of these. Fun times.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Looks rather familiar. For tests, we were expected to extract useful information from a word problem, derive and solve the equations necessary to get an answer, all without notes or a calculator. We had a 50-minute class period to solve about 5 of these. Fun times.
                                My collegiate education in English was not quite as vigorous--for tests, we had to read drafts of poems and explain why the writer made certain choices. The ancient Greek was a touch harder, but not higher math by any stretch of the imagination.

I've always admired people who had the discipline to excel in higher math and science. I have no idea why anyone enrolling in astrophyics, at cambridge, would expect an easy time.
                                "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                                Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                                Save me, save me"

Comment