Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Hosptial Cafe Evangelism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosptial Cafe Evangelism

I was visiting one of my church members at the hospital, and the nurse informed me they were in the middle of a procedure, and asked if I could come back in 30 minutes.

The hospital was an hour from home, so I decided I'd go down to the hospital cafe for some quick lunch. They actually have a really good cheeseburger!

While sitting at a table in the cafe, a young African-American family (mom, dad and baby) was at a table across the isle. The baby - 10 months old - was being very fussy, crying and screaming. The couple was trying to eat, and "mom" was holding the baby. It appeared that dad might actually be a patient, as he had a surgical mask hanging around his neck, a "beanie cap" on his head, and a wrist-band.

Dad finally reached out to take the baby, and mom handed her over, but the baby just fussed even more.

I got up and walked over to their table, sat down next to dad, and asked, "can I help out? So you can eat?" Mom looked at me like I was some kind of pervert, Dad looked surprised, but the baby reached out for me and stopped crying. Mom looked stunned - but then nodded "yes", and dad very cautiously and slowly handed me the baby.

The baby cuddled up into my arms, put his little head between my chin and shoulder, and "dug in", falling asleep almost immediately.

Mom, still stunned, asked jokingly "are you an angel?" I said, "no, but I work for their boss!" She said, "you're a preacher?" I said, "yes, ma'am, and it just looked like you needed some help". She said, "you don't know the half of it". And she began to tell me that her boyfriend (the dad) was just diagnosed with a severe liver disorder, and the doctors were having a meeting to decide a course of action.

She told me that she was trying to explain to him that he needed to get his life in order, because she was afraid he might not live through surgery or something, and he didn't know Jesus as savior. I looked at him, and he was staring at the baby, still asleep in my arms. He asked "how did you do that? I asked "do what", and he said, "instantly get Derick to stop crying". I shrugged it off and said, "all kids and dogs love me - I don't know why".

He said, "no, there's something else, cause I feel all different, too". I said "God has been trying to get your attention, hasn't He?" (I was guessing that from some things mom had said) He said, "yeah, but I don't know what to do".

I began to take him down the "Romans Road", and he was hanging on every word. I looked over at mom, and she was praying. Head bowed, hands folded, lips moving. She was doing some serious praying.

Next thing I knew, Raymond was praying the sinner's prayer, asking God to forgive him of his sins, and come into his life, and be his Savior. While we were praying, I felt somebody's hand on my shoulder, and I knew it wasn't Raymond or Shondra. When we got done praying, I looked up, and it was the hospital chaplain. He said, "I could see what was going on, and I wanted to be a part". He sat down with us, and helped answer questions Raymond had, and encourage.

I told Andy, the chaplain, I needed to go check on my patient, and he smiled and said, "I got this". It turns out Raymond was, indeed, a patient, and Andy would be there every day to check on him and keep up with him. When I stood up, Shondra stood up to get Derick from me, and she hugged me really hard and just kept saying "thank you, thank you Jesus, thank you".... When I left, Andy was giving Raymond a New Testament and a discipleship book.

Upstairs, in Sid's room, I started to tell Sid what just happened. When I mentioned the chaplain, Sid said, "yeah, he was just in here, and he said he needed to stop by the cafeteria". Sid told me that Andy was a retired Baptist pastor who had volunteered at the hospital for a couple years, and they had just made him their official hospital chaplain.

So, I get to go to bed tonight knowing there's a new name written down in Glory, and he will be in good hands with a fellow pastor to disciple him and guide him into his new life, and be with him through whatever the doctors decide to do.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

You have the best experiences ever!

We rejoice with the angels and praise God for His use of you!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Isn't it amazing how God works through willing, yet flawed hands?
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Isn't it amazing how God works through willing, yet flawed hands?
        And the "divine appointments" - me being sent away from Sid's room, the family being there waiting, the chaplain 'just happening' to show up....

Yes, sir... God is good.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

wonderful.

Comment

I love those "divine appointments"! Way to be obedient to the Spirit CP! Hallelujah for a new name in Glory!
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X