Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Lord of the Rings TV series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Wizards and hobbits are mostly bit players in the History of Middle-Earth, though.
    Well what if it took place in upper-middle-earth? where all of the wizards hang out playing pinball?

Comment

News came out today that Christopher Tolkien resigned as the director of the Estate.

*reaches for paper bag*

Comment

Originally posted by Rayado View Post
        News came out today that Christopher Tolkien resigned as the director of the Estate.

*reaches for paper bag*
        Boo! Site won't let me read the article without whitelisting them.

CT's getting up there. Did it say why he resigned?
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The original (way way longer) source: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2017...olkien-estate/

Didn't really say why.

Comment

Originally posted by Rayado View Post
            The original (way way longer) source: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2017...olkien-estate/

Didn't really say why.
            From the article:
            what will be produced is essentially fan fiction
            Pass me the paper bag, will you?
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

OBP, on that first link you don't actually have to whitelist it, just click on the button, "I have whitelisted" and the prompt goes away.

Comment

Saw the first third, didn't bother with the rest.
                I'm currently making my way through one of the four hour fanedits of the series, and it's actually so much better. Cuts out a lot of nonsense and sticks pretty closely to the books so far. I'm looking forward to how they edit the whole dwarf/elf love triangle thing out.

Comment

From the article:

Pass me the paper bag, will you?
                  Yeah, I had a feeling this was going to be the case. There's been heavy resistance to digging into the Silmarillion from the estate. The video game Shadow of Mordor was fun (never finished it though), but it bugged me that it was mostly invented storyline with all sorts of invented characters. Tolkien was sooo careful about every detail of his world, and how it applied to his personal interests (English folklore/mythology, Christianity, WWI, etc.), that it does feel like a slap in the face to his legacy. This series will be more of the same.

That said, it's struck me for awhile that Christopher Tolkien has acted as a bit of a gatekeeper, never appreciating any of the filmic adaptations, if I remember correctly, which is a shame because the Lord of the Rings films were, in my opinion, definitely worthy adaptations. They're not perfect, but they could have been so much worse, and for what they are, they're pretty great. They kept his father's work alive in people's memories, and introduced these characters to several entirely new generations.

Sad truth though is that I'm probably going to watch a new Middle Earth series regardless. Just sort of wondering about the inevitable PC twists they'll add. I think it'd definitely be interesting if they add some sort of Easterlings or Southrons, which I seem to remember as vaguely African or Middle Eastern in description, but less interesting will be the inevitable token (not Tolkien) gay romance they're sure to shoehorn in there someplace. Guess they already got the incest covered, what with Aragorn and Arwen being cousins and whatnot, and if they ever decide to show a bearded female dwarf, they'll have the cross-gender thing taken care of too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    OBP, on that first link you don't actually have to whitelist it, just click on the button, "I have whitelisted" and the prompt goes away.
                    Except I haven't whitelisted, and don't plan to.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      Yeah, I had a feeling this was going to be the case. There's been heavy resistance to digging into the Silmarillion from the estate. The video game Shadow of Mordor was fun (never finished it though), but it bugged me that it was mostly invented storyline with all sorts of invented characters. Tolkien was sooo careful about every detail of his world, and how it applied to his personal interests (English folklore/mythology, Christianity, WWI, etc.), that it does feel like a slap in the face to his legacy. This series will be more of the same.

That said, it's struck me for awhile that Christopher Tolkien has acted as a bit of a gatekeeper, never appreciating any of the filmic adaptations, if I remember correctly, which is a shame because the Lord of the Rings films were, in my opinion, definitely worthy adaptations. They're not perfect, but they could have been so much worse, and for what they are, they're pretty great. They kept his father's work alive in people's memories, and introduced these characters to several entirely new generations.

Sad truth though is that I'm probably going to watch a new Middle Earth series regardless. Just sort of wondering about the inevitable PC twists they'll add. I think it'd definitely be interesting if they add some sort of Easterlings or Southrons, which I seem to remember as vaguely African or Middle Eastern in description, but less interesting will be the inevitable token (not Tolkien) gay romance they're sure to shoehorn in there someplace. Guess they already got the incest covered, what with Aragorn and Arwen being cousins and whatnot, and if they ever decide to show a bearded female dwarf, they'll have the cross-gender thing taken care of too.
                      It was really fun, but definitely felt like a fan fiction. The end was rather interesting, and the DLC added way more to the story. If you get a chance you should go back and finish it. Shadow of War looks fantastic, but they are shoehorning loot boxes into it.

Another decent game is Lord of the Rings War in the North. It's basically what happened to some more basic characters during the period, and the battles and wars they had to fight in order to keep as much of Middle Earth safe as possible until the One Ring was destroyed.

Most likely scenario is the one you propose, but if we are insanely lucky, we might get someone who knows the literature, and wants to try and keep things as much as possible with in Tolkien's idea of Middle Earth.

Comment

index.jpg

Comment