Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

'Transracial' man born white feels like he is Filipino...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    I agree.
    Then it isn't useful if you get to shift back and forth at will.

How do you know if a trans person doesn't have a genetic abnormality?
    They don't have Turner's or Klinefelter's Syndrome or any of the other sex chromosome anomalies. That's the key.

I meant make you a woman as in make your body have the primary and secondary sexual characteristics of a woman. I should have been more clear.
    The primary sexual characteristic of a female is an XX chromosome set.

I'm focusing on my argument. Scientifically, you and Elba are of the one race, the human race. Society has decided that people belong in different groups depending upon their skin color and place of origin.
    But, again, you can't change either of them. Labels can change, but skin color and national origin are static. Just as sex /gender is.

How society classifies you IS race. They are one and the same. There is no other basis for race outside of society. It is not a scientific concept.
    Yes it is. It is a classification of physical anthropology.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Do you even know what reproductive organs are? or primary sexual characteristics? The reproductive organs of a woman are her ovaries and uterus. That is what makes her a woman compared to a man who has testes.

And no I am not talking about a woman not being a woman if he has her ovaries removed. You can't remove someone's sex/gender by removing their reproductive organs.
      What I'm getting at is that sex is determined by many genes responsible for many parts of our biology all working normally. If you want to make some authoritative statements about what sex people are and what the proper treatment for transpeople is, you need to be prepared for cases in which at least one gene acts abnormally. You need to be prepared for these "special cases".

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Then it isn't useful if you get to shift back and forth at will.
        For as long as I've been posting on this forum I've tried to stick to the academic definitions.

They don't have Turner's or Klinefelter's Syndrome or any of the other sex chromosome anomalies. That's the key.
        They may have some other genetic abnormality.

The primary sexual characteristic of a female is an XX chromosome set.
        Alright, let me be clearer. Genitals and breasts.

But, again, you can't change either of them. Labels can change, but skin color and national origin are static. Just as sex /gender is.
        Aren't you agreeing with me about race? What race you are is the label.

Yes it is. It is a classification of physical anthropology.
        It was a century ago. Race no longer exists as a scientific concept outside of its phenomena as a social construct.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
          For as long as I've been posting on this forum I've tried to stick to the academic definitions.
          But, again, the academic definition is unreliable because, as you admitted above, it isn't at all clear.

They may have some other genetic abnormality.
          But it isn't the sex chromosomes

Alright, let me be clearer. Genitals and breasts.
          Merely physical expressions of the proper chromosome set. And lacking them does not make you no longer female. Mastectomies and full hysterectomies do not make someone no longer a woman.

Aren't you agreeing with me about race? What race you are is the label.
          Not really. Race labels can change, but I will never be a black man, no matter what label they call it this year. I will never have ancestors from Vietnam. I will not be able to check Eskimo on my census form.

It was a century ago. Race no longer exists as a scientific concept outside of its phenomena as a social construct.
          Not true. Many scientific studies still use race/national origin as a divider. One example is the prevalence of sickle cell among blacks.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            But, again, the academic definition is unreliable because, as you admitted above, it isn't at all clear.
            Just when it comes to gender, and that hardly ever comes up.

But it isn't the sex chromosomes
            Chromosomes don't actually do anything on their own. They only matter because of the genes they're made up of. So I'm asking how you can define sex by genetics without knowing the genetics of any given person who may or may not identify as a sex different from the one on their birth certificate.

Merely physical expressions of the proper chromosome set. And lacking them does not make you no longer female. Mastectomies and full hysterectomies do not make someone no longer a woman.
            Okay, folding this into the talk bout chromosomes/genetics.

Not really. Race labels can change, but I will never be a black man, no matter what label they call it this year. I will never have ancestors from Vietnam. I will not be able to check Eskimo on my census form.
            Sure, because those are distinct physical and geographic differences. Go back and time though, and you may no longer be white but instead Irish or Italian. The dividing lines are arbitrary.

Not true. Many scientific studies still use race/national origin as a divider. One example is the prevalence of sickle cell among blacks.
            Like I said, races are still used when referring to the social construct. Your source says that, among other groups not considered black, sickle cell anemia affects people with sub-Saharan African ancestors. If I'm a black American, that's not very useful information for me. Saying it affects black people is useful because it allows the better informing of social groups and policy. There is no scientific basis for the idea of race.

Comment