Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mugabe falls. Zimbabwean military seizes power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mugabe falls. Zimbabwean military seizes power

In news that has many of my family and friends rejoicing, the Zimbabwean military has moved to place Robert and Grace Mugabe under house arrest.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/africa...tement-in-full
    Source: Stuff.co.nz

Following the address we made on November 13, 2017, which we believe our main broadcaster, the Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation and The Herald were directed not to publicise, the situation in our country has moved to another level. Firstly, we wish to assure the nation that His Excellency the President of the Republic of Zimbabwe, and commander-in-chief of Zimbabwe Defence Forces, Comrade RG Mugabe, and his family are safe and sound and their security is guaranteed.

We are only targeting criminals around him who are committing crimes that are causing social and economic suffering in the country in order to bring them to justice.

As soon as we have accomplished our mission, we expect that the situation will return to normalcy. To the civil servants, as you are aware, there is a plan by the same individuals to influence the current purging that is taking place in the political sphere to the civil service. We are against that act of injustice and we intend to protect every one of you against that.

To the judiciary, the measures underway are intended to assure that as an independent arm of the state you are able to exercise your independent authority without fear of being obstructed as has been the case with this group of individuals.

To our members of parliament, your legislative role is of paramount importance for peace and stability in this country and it is our desire that a dispensation is created that allows you to serve your respective political constituencies according to democratic tenets.

To the generality of the people of Zimbabwe we urge you to remain calm and limit unnecessary movement. However, we encourage those who are employed and those with essential business in the city to continue their normal activities usual. Our wish is that you enjoy your rights and freedoms and that we return our country to a dispensation that allows for investment, development and prosperity that we all fought for and for which many of our citizens paid the supreme sacrifice.

To political parties we urge you to discourage your members from engaging in violent behaviour.

To the youth we call upon you to realise that the future of this country is yours. Do not be enticed with dirty coins of silver. Be disciplined and remain committed to the ethos and values of this great nation.

To all churches and religious organisations in Zimbabwe we call upon you and your congregations to pray for our country and preach the gospel of love, peace, unity and development.

To both our people and the world beyond our borders, we wish to make it abundantly clear that this is not a military takeover of government. What the Zimbabwe Defence Forces is actually doing is to pacify a degenerating political, social and economic situation in our country, which if not addressed may result in a violent conflict.

We call upon all the war veterans to play positive in ensuring peace, stability and unity in the country.

To members of the defence forces, all leave is cancelled and you all to return to your barracks with immediate effect.

To our respected traditional leaders, you are our custodians of our culture, customs, traditions and heritage and we request you to provide leadership and direction to your communities for the sake of unity and development in our country.

To the other Security Services: We urge you to cooperate for the good of our country. Let it be clear that we intend to address the human security threats in our country. Therefore any provocation will be met with an appropriate response.

To the media; we urge you report fairly and responsibly.

© Copyright Original Source

More:
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/africa...st-in-one-week
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/africa...d-grace-mugabe
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Good...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The question is- removed him to be replaced by what?

Comment

Who is Mugabe? Is he a dictator?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          Who is Mugabe? Is he a dictator?
          Yes...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
            Given recent African history, the odds aren't great that it'll be much better. On the other hand, the Mugabe regime managed to bollox things so thoroughly that it's difficult to conceive of something much worse.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Why would a dictator claim to be a "president"? Why not just be honest and admit to being a dictator?
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Why would a dictator claim to be a "president"? Why not just be honest and admit to being a dictator?
                Politics is all about optics, CBW.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                  That was my question. Is having the country taken over by the military really an improvement?
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Because "president" sounds nicer than "dictator".
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Baby Doc (Jean-Claude Duvalier) proclaimed himself "President for Life" of Haiti in 1971. That's pretty brash for a 19-year-old, making him (at the time) the youngest president (dictator) in the world.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        That was my question. Is having the country taken over by the military really an improvement?
                        yes.

Long story short, too many African leaders hold Mugabe in such high esteem that he could do whatever he wanted, whoever succeeds him won't have that power.
                        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Well, he is technically president in that he was elected. Granted, he was elected through highly rigged elections, but still went through the nominal election process.

But as for the general reason? Probably the same reason so many countries with the name "Democratic" weren't even remotely Democratic (examples: Communist-controlled East Germany was the German Democratic Republic and the official name for North Korea is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea).

Actually, come to think of it, has there ever been a country with the name "Democratic" in their title that was actually democratic? Although a number of dictatorships have slapped the word Republic into their title, I can think of a number of countries with Republic in the title that were actual republics, but every country I can think of with the name "Democratic" was a dictatorship.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                            Well, he is technically president in that he was elected. Granted, he was elected through highly rigged elections, but still went through the nominal election process.

But as for the general reason? Probably the same reason so many countries with the name "Democratic" weren't even remotely Democratic (examples: Communist-controlled East Germany was the German Democratic Republic and the official name for North Korea is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea).

Actually, come to think of it, has there ever been a country with the name "Democratic" in their title that was actually democratic? Although a number of dictatorships have slapped the word Republic into their title, I can think of a number of countries with Republic in the title that were actual republics, but every country I can think of with the name "Democratic" was a dictatorship.
                            Well, communism is putatively democratic.

sigpic

Comment