Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Al Franken Resign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    I'm confused as to how you think your statement is amusing.

Of course I'm serious. Republicans elected Trump and seem to be about to elect Moore. Whereas Democrats are condemning those accused of sexual assault by multiple people.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Dimbulb View Post

Yeah, apart from the dozens of accusers and witnesses of Trump's misdeeds, it's not like Trump admitted to sexual assault on tape... oh wait, he did.
      The picture of Franken is largely irrelevant in the charges against him.
      Conyers I haven't been following.
      With Moore, he seems to be proven more guilty by the day. The number of witnesses and accusers keeps growing and keep being corroborated. And the ongoing sad attempts by your Breitbart colleagues to exonerate him and those by the idiots at Project Veritas, have not managed to salvage it, other than prove you guys are utterly morally depraved and will deceive and smear in order to try to defend a man guilty of multiple sexual assaults and sexual activity with underage girls, just because he's on your "side". How do you live with yourself?
      Trump never admitted assault, dumbass. He was generally describing a consensual act and not any specific incident. Yes, he had lots of accusers, but not a single one of their stories were corroborated, and many of the stories included false details,

For Moore, there are only two accusations that matter, and both those are full of so many holes and discrepancies that they're almost certainly false. The rest of his so-called "accusers" say that he took them on dates and behaved like a gentleman. Furthermore, other claims promoted by the media, like Moore being banned from a local mall, or that local police were told to keep an eye on him at highschool events, have been proven false.

The picture of Franken groping a sleeping woman is irrelevant to the charges that he has sexually assaulted women? Yeah, OK.

Conyers took advantage of a Congressional slush fund to pay off his victims with tax payer money and slap them with a gag order so they couldn't go public with their stories. Let's put it this way: he didn't resign because he was innocent.
      Last edited by Mountain Man; 12-07-2017, 06:27 AM.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        There's no way he'd be a viable candidate in today's environment due to precisely this issue.
        That is crap, just last year many of these very Dems condemning Franken were side by side with old Bill helping Hillary. Not only that - Hillary attacked Bill's accusers time and time again - the Dems had no problem supporting her. For instance:

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Furthermore, other claims promoted by the media, like Moore being banned from a local mall, or that local police were told to keep an eye on him at highschool events, have been proven false.
          Exactly how has that been proven false? It may be not proven true; it may be lacking evidence; it may be based on unreliable testimony; it might be considered false; it might be full of so many holes and discrepancies that it is almost certainly false; there may even be evidence that suggests that it is false. But I cannot think of a way in which it might be proven false.

You are overstating the case.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
            Exactly how has that been proven false? It may be not proven true; it may be lacking evidence; it may be based on unreliable testimony; it might be considered false; it might be full of so many holes and discrepancies that it is almost certainly false; there may even be evidence that suggests that it is false. But I cannot think of a way in which it might be proven false.

The mall claim was proven false when the former mall manager said it was false.

The claim that local police were instructed to keep an eye on Moore at local high school games was proven false when the police officer who made the claim admitted that she couldn't substantiate a word of it.

It's ridiculous to try and split hairs between "false" and "not proven true" in this instance. But then, you do have a well-deserved reputation for nitpicking.
            Last edited by Mountain Man; 12-07-2017, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
              You think the Republicans are pure, undiluted evil and the Democrats are perfect angels? Dude, come on. It's not that black and white, either way.
              Starlight only prefers Democrats because they're slightly to the left of Republicans. Most of them are far too right-wing for his taste.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                Bill.Clinton.
                It is interesting to watch the democrats try to convince that, given this same 'national attitude', Clinton would have been impeached and gone.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  It is interesting to watch the democrats try to convince that, given this same 'national attitude', Clinton would have been impeached and gone.
                  and also not surprising that Starlight falls for it all.

Comment

• So some-one saying that Moore was not banned is, for you, enough to prove that Moore was not banned.

But some-one saying that Moore was banned is not enough to prove that Moore was banned.

Thanks for confirming that when you say something is a "proven" fact it means absolutely nothing.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

So some-one saying that Moore was not banned is, for you, enough to prove that Moore was not banned.

But some-one saying that Moore was banned is not enough to prove that Moore was banned.

Thanks for confirming that when you say something is a "proven" fact it means absolutely nothing.
                      When the some-one who denies the banning would be the person most in the position to know, that's about as close as you're going to get to proving a negative.

Thanks for confirming that you're willing to appear incapable of weighing the merits of the people on either side of the allegation in order to score cheap debate points.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

So some-one saying that Moore was not banned is, for you, enough to prove that Moore was not banned.
                        It's not just "someone", you idiot, it's the former manager of the place Moore was supposedly banned from -- in other words, a witness you would expect to be conversant with the facts -- saying that Moore was, in fact, not banned. That carries a lot more weight than the idle rumors and "a friend of friend" stories used to promote this false narrative.

Comment

While technically true, I think this is really picking of nit. If I claim that the manager of the local Burger King threw you out because you exposed yourself, and the local manager, when confronted with that allegation, says "I don't remember any such incident", it is, for all intents and purposes, 'proven false'. My claim could reasonably be rejected. For me to sustain my claim, I'd have to find more evidence, like a police report or eye witnesses, etc.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            It's not just "someone", you idiot, it's the former manager of the place Moore was supposedly banned from -- in other words, a witness you would expect to be conversant with the facts -- saying that Moore was, in fact, not banned. That carries a lot more weight than the idle rumors and "a friend of friend" stories used to promote this false narrative.
                            Unless, of course, that former manager voted for Trump, then he's a lying sack of beetle poop and can't be trusted, and is part of the grand conspiracy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Unless, of course, that former manager voted for Trump, then he's a lying sack of beetle poop and can't be trusted, and is part of the grand conspiracy.
                              Or unless the former mall manager is a Moore supporter...
                              Or unless Brietbart is simply regurgitating a local news story...
                              Or ...

(https://www.snopes.com/2017/11/17/ro...ng-teen-girls/)

There is enough smoke thrown up over this whole thing that I cannot say I have any idea WHAT to believe about whom anymore - and I am VERY careful these days about letting my political bias color my conclusions. Even Snopes won't come down on one side or the other.

We have a lot of he said/she said, and people seem to be picking the he/she that aligns with what they want to be true, IMO.
                              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                Or unless the former mall manager is a Moore supporter...
                                Or unless Brietbart is simply regurgitating a local news story...
                                Or ...

(https://www.snopes.com/2017/11/17/ro...ng-teen-girls/)

There is enough smoke thrown up over this whole thing that I cannot say I have any idea WHAT to believe about whom anymore - and I am VERY careful these days about letting my political bias color my conclusions. Even Snopes won't come down on one side or the other.

We have a lot of he said/she said, and people seem to be picking the he/she that aligns with what they want to be true, IMO.
                                Snopes is notoriously pro-Democrat. If Snopes is hedging, then odds are decent that there is indeed sufficient evidence to exonerate Moore on this charge, and they just can't bring themselves to admit it.
                                sigpic

Comment