Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Al Franken Resign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
    Milo is racist?

Got any quotes (with context) to support that?

You do know that he's in a relationship with a black man, right? I think the 'Milo is racist' accusation is an attempt by some on the left to disqualify anything he might say without actually addressing it. Which is what you say you reject.
    A few sources:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5238d8aa4dad

https://www.adl.org/education/resour...things-to-know

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/milo-...ts-global-war/

There are more...but you get the drift. IMO, the man is vile. I have little patience for people who make their money and fame saying intentionally provocative and outrageous things. It is why I have no patience for Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Steve Bannon, or Bill O'Reilly. They are the right wing voices of divisiveness and rabble rousing. The left have a few of their own (frankly, that used to be my opinion of Franken - based on his book about "lying liars"), but they have nowhere near the platform of these, AFAICT.
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 12-13-2017, 07:38 PM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Blue - Moderator - grunt
      Green - Assistant Admin - sergeant
      Orange - Administrator - Lieutenant
      Red - Owner - Large and in charge.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        I'm pretty sure you've gone off on this PC tangent a few times recently. That's pretty much what struck my initial interest. Why is it such a major issue for me? I suppose it comes down to my love of truth. But I suppose I could ask you the same, why is it such a major issue for you that it's merited so much exchange?
        You were asking questions I thought merited answers. I confess to being on the wordy side (like I actually needed to tell anyone that).

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        I gave you my reason, "In my opinion, your recounted experiences strain credibility. They don't mirror reality as I'm familiar with it, and I don't think I'm alone in that (though I could be wrong). For the record, I too am well traveled. Never in all my years have I heard people say the things you're claiming they say with some regularity."
        So you doubt I'm telling you the truth about responses when calling on people not to swear using religious terms? Or the entire discussion about gender-specific language on my Facebook page? Or the common public defense of Trump as being "not PC?" Or morning breakfast discussions in hotels, on my journeys, that took a political turn and the issue of political correctness came up and the widely varying lists I heard of what the people I was talking to consider PC and not PC?

What on earth would be my motivation for making this stuff up?

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        You realize you could have done the same at any point, right?
        Absolutely. And when a discussion is clearly going nowhere and I find myself just repeating the same thing over and over, I usually disconnect (though it sometimes takes me a while ). I tend to make the assumption that someone is asking questions out of an honest intent to know - but if my explanations aren't getting us anywhere, I'll eventually jump off.

I guess, at this point, since you don't seem to think I'm being honest in my responses, there isn't much point in continuing. So I'll jump off here and leave the final observation to you - if you so choose.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Blue - Moderator - grunt
          Love it!

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            So you doubt I'm telling you the truth about responses when calling on people not to swear using religious terms?
            Yes, and I think I've stated as much a couple times now.

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            Or the entire discussion about gender-specific language on my Facebook page? Or the common public defense of Trump as being "not PC?" Or morning breakfast discussions in hotels, on my journeys, that took a political turn and the issue of political correctness came up and the widely varying lists I heard of what the people I was talking to consider PC and not PC?
            Pretty much the first one, unless I've stated otherwise in this conversation.

What on earth would be my motivation for making this stuff up?
            I think probably you were intending to make a point, and you were scraping for an example you thought was roughly comparable to the left being called PC that you thought Christians could sympathize with. I don't think you were expecting to be called on it.

Absolutely. And when a discussion is clearly going nowhere and I find myself just repeating the same thing over and over, I usually disconnect (though it sometimes takes me a while ). I tend to make the assumption that someone is asking questions out of an honest intent to know - but if my explanations aren't getting us anywhere, I'll eventually jump off.

I guess, at this point, since you don't seem to think I'm being honest in my responses, there isn't much point in continuing. So I'll jump off here and leave the final observation to you - if you so choose.
            Ok. Here's hoping our next conversation goes a bit better.

Comment

Blue - Moderator - grunt
              Aren't there some non-mods as well. What is it, white for tech guys? Then there's another color for emeritus members?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                Aren't there some non-mods as well. What is it, white for tech guys? Then there's another color for emeritus members?
                Gray for tech, used to be purple for former Members of the Month.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Until the reboot, when the techies wore purple.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

A few sources:

There are more...but you get the drift. IMO, the man is vile. I have little patience for people who make their money and fame saying intentionally provocative and outrageous things. It is why I have no patience for Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Steve Bannon, or Bill O'Reilly. They are the right wing voices of divisiveness and rabble rousing. The left have a few of their own (frankly, that used to be my opinion of Franken - based on his book about "lying liars"), but they have nowhere near the platform of these, AFAICT.
                    So basically he was rude to Leslie Jones on Twitter (not racist) and it's 'alleged' he had passwords that contained words that may be associated with Nazism. Oh, and people who are claimed to be racist like Milo.

Not exactly evidence of being racist. I get that he's very provocative, and you don't like his style, or his politics. What I don't get is that you can see how 'racist' is used by some on the left to smear people and shut their voices down, but can't see that that is what is happening here too.
                    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Until the reboot, when the techies wore purple.
                      And weren't some of the former staff a baby blue?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A few sources:

Noooo. Not at all

They just control the networks, nearly all the newspapers, and Hollywood. Other than that, just a tiny platform.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          And somebody was gray or silver.

ETA:

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Yeah, like that. Or something.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Blue - Moderator - grunt "Professor"
                            Green - Assistant Admin - sergeant "Department Head"
                            Orange - Administrator - Lieutenant "Dean"
                            Red - Owner - Large and in charge. "Chancellor"
                            The ones I added to your post are the "official" names of the various ranks.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Emeritus Professor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                                The ones I added to your post are the "official" names of the various ranks.
                                And some of them, like Sparko and Rogue, were kind of a poopiehead brown, no?
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment