Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Al Franken Resign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    What on earth is a "green" or "red?" And what color are you?
    I'm a blue mod: we're the rank-and-filers. Greens are above us, and reds are the owners.

And then there's one orange, but we don't talk about him.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      I'm a blue mod: we're the rank-and-filers. Greens are above us, and reds are the owners.

You know - I love the model. At some point, I am going to retire (hopefully sooner than later) and I am going to give some serious thought to starting a political site with this same model. May even want to talk to the ownership (Sparko?) about the platform and funding approach.

I would LOVE a place where people from all sides can debate vigorously, but keep it about the issues. Too much of modern politics has slipped into...well...a mess.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post

That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          You're the orange?

Hmmm... only here would that sentence even make sense...

(where IS that emoji with someone laughing so hard they're crying...?)
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            And somebody was gray or silver.

ETA:

Yeah, like that. Or something.
            Colors were never your strong suit.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              And some of them, like Sparko and Rogue, were kind of a poopiehead brown, no?
              We just told you that because to you all colors are just different shades of gray.

smiley whisper-secret.gifNow don't anybody go tell him that his name is in yellow

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You're the orange?
                Yup. My original member number was 106. Been here a country minute...
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                  The ones I added to your post are the "official" names of the various ranks.
                  Yeah, I knew they had been changed when we did one of the revisions but I wasn't sure of them off the top of my head and went with the old ones.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

So long as this "purge" does not tip over into becoming a witch hunt, it's an incredibly good thing. Perhaps, once all of those who believe their wealth, fame, or power give them the right to objectify others are gone, we will have a new culture in which this kind of behavior is simply not tolerated - and will quickly be the end of careers.
                    It's already a witch hunt - worse, witches at least got trials.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

You're the orange?

Hmmm... only here would that sentence even make sense...

(where IS that emoji with someone laughing so hard they're crying...?)
                      : lmbo:

: rofl:

: lol:

: smile:

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        It's already a witch hunt - worse, witches at least got trials.
                        How do you know that?

Comment

How do you know that?
                          Media, history.

These people are being ousted or forced to resign from careers without an actual conviction - just on the basis of accusations.

Conversely, witches weren't lynched - they had trials throughout the history of the Inquisition and through Salem. Interestingly, Salem was the reverse of the Inquisition - usually church trials had resulted in acquittal.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Media, history.

These people are being ousted or forced to resign from careers without an actual conviction - just on the basis of accusations.

Conversely, witches weren't lynched - they had trials throughout the history of the Inquisition and through Salem. Interestingly, Salem was the reverse of the Inquisition - usually church trials had resulted in acquittal.
                            do you ever wonder if all of this ridiculous nonsense going on today with these accusations, allegations of russian collusion in the election, Antifa riots, and so on will be in the history books one day and people will read it and be astounded by the idiocy of this generation like we are about the Salem Witch trials?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              do you ever wonder if all of this ridiculous nonsense going on today with these accusations, allegations of russian collusion in the election, Antifa riots, and so on will be in the history books one day and people will read it and be astounded by the idiocy of this generation like we are about the Salem Witch trials?

...and some historian or Internet archeologist will one day find a backup disc with Theologyweb on it, and find this thread and this very post (Hi there Internet Archeologist Guy!! ) and be so impressed that he awards me some posthumous nobel peace prize for my incredible foresight?

Comment

Media, history.

Your accounting of the Salem witch trials does not align with my understanding. While it is true that the number of actual deaths has been greatly overblown, there were, AFAIK, MANY convictions - for a crime that is simply ludicrous (i.e., being a witch). Where is your information about this coming from?

Meanwhile, I'm not sure that your description qualifies as a "witch hunt." The term has the connotation of accusing innocent people on spurious evidence. It is not clear that many (most?) of these people are or are not innocent - and it is not clear we could EVER have much more than he-said/she-said for many of them. I am concerned that this new "enlightenment" could be turned into a weapon for eliminating anyone we do not like - so I think we need to be vigilant. But I'm not seeing any clear signs that this is happening, at this point.

Comment