Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Al Franken Resign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    That's the point. He was claiming that he didn't know her and had never met her. The signed yearbook refutes that claim.
    IF, indeed, it's his signature. But even the famed Gloria Allred stops short of making that claim, and handwriting analysts say it's impossible to assess the yearbook without actually seeing it, and she won't make it available.

IF, indeed, it's his signature, all it indicates at this point is that he lied (or, as politicians love to say, "misremembered") about having known her.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Latest from WaPo

Source: Al Franken still hasn�t denied grabbing women

If you're confused by what he's trying to say here, you're not the only one. Franken's attempt at clarifying what happened only raises more questions, the central ones being: Did he grab these women's buttocks or not? If he did, how, exactly, was it unintentional? Were the women mistaken?

Here's more of Franken's muddy attempt at a denial-apology, which he provided to the Pioneer Press and other local media outlets Thursday:

By contrast, his accusers left no nuance about what happened: Franken's hand clearly grabbed their buttocks, they say, when they were expecting a professional photo with a politician.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Story continues at link above.
      That Franken apparently can't simply say, "I would never do anything like that," speaks volumes.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        That Franken apparently can't simply say, "I would never do anything like that," speaks volumes.
        Yes - it speaks to multiple possibilities:

1) that he is guilty and dodging
        2) that he aware that what one intends is not always what another experiences, and is trying to find a way to disagree without calling the woman a liar publicly
        3) that he is hoping an investigation will clear his name without him having to call the woman a liar

and there are other possibilities.

For any of us to choose one of those can call it "the truth," is presumptive. I AM very concerned about the number of women who have stepped forward, but I still do not have an adequate basis for assuming guilt or innocence. I have been through the Breitbart articles (really? Breitbart?) and the other links posted here. I find them full of a lot of speculation and "what if's" and not a lot of concrete, relevant evidence.

My $.02 (which, together with $2.08 might get you a small coffee )
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

2) that he aware that what one intends is not always what another experiences, and is trying to find a way to disagree without calling the woman a liar publicly
          3) that he is hoping an investigation will clear his name without him having to call the woman a liar

For any of us to choose one of those can call it "the truth," is presumptive. I AM very concerned about the number of women who have stepped forward, but I still do not have an adequate basis for assuming guilt or innocence. I have been through the Breitbart articles (really? Breitbart?) and the other links posted here. I find them full of a lot of speculation and "what if's" and not a lot of concrete, relevant evidence.

Our local McDondald's still has the "senior coffee" for 50 cents! And it's WAY better than that burnt tasting stuff they sell for $5.00 at Stars&Bucks!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Our local McDondald's still has the "senior coffee" for 50 cents! And it's WAY better than that burnt tasting stuff they sell for $5.00 at Stars&Bucks!
            McDonalds? MCDONALDS??!!!

Do you have ANY idea what kind of sacrilege you have just uttered? :scowl: (OK - where is that deep red frowny face? It really messes with my groove when I cannot get the right emoji!)
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

In light of the evidence, I find the "Franken is innocent, but he won't deny the accusations because he's just such a nice guy and, gosh darn it, he could never bring himself to imply that a lady could be lying!" theory to be rather implausible.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

McDonalds? MCDONALDS??!!!

Do you have ANY idea what kind of sacrilege you have just uttered? :scowl: (OK - where is that deep red frowny face? It really messes with my groove when I cannot get the right emoji!)
                It's one of those situations where I can afford a $4.00 cup of coffee, but my oldest daughter can't, cause she's always in deep financial trouble. I buy the 50 cent cup of coffee, she goes for the $4.00 cup of coffee.

Comment

It's one of those situations where I can afford a $4.00 cup of coffee, but my oldest daughter can't, cause she's always in deep financial trouble. I buy the 50 cent cup of coffee, she goes for the $4.00 cup of coffee.
                  Hmmm... sounds familiar...

Are you familiar with the movie "failure to launch?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    In light of the evidence, I find the "Franken is innocent, but he won't deny the accusations because he's just such a nice guy and, gosh darn it, he could never bring himself to imply that a lady could be lying!" theory to be rather implausible.
                    Almost exactly what I said, MM...

Comment

Hmmm... sounds familiar...

Are you familiar with the movie "failure to launch?"
                      Vaguely - I saw parts of it, but I was busy doing something else.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Latest from WaPo

Source: Al Franken still hasn�t denied grabbing women

If you're confused by what he's trying to say here, you're not the only one. Franken's attempt at clarifying what happened only raises more questions, the central ones being: Did he grab these women's buttocks or not? If he did, how, exactly, was it unintentional? Were the women mistaken?

Here's more of Franken's muddy attempt at a denial-apology, which he provided to the Pioneer Press and other local media outlets Thursday:

By contrast, his accusers left no nuance about what happened: Franken's hand clearly grabbed their buttocks, they say, when they were expecting a professional photo with a politician.

Source

Story continues at link above.
                        And the New York Post is also calling Franken out for his apologies

Source: Al Franken�s unconvincing �apologies�

Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Vaguely - I saw parts of it, but I was busy doing something else.
                          At my age, I should be sheding children and moving to empty nest. Instead, I seem to be gaining them...

Comment

At my age, I should be sheding children and moving to empty nest. Instead, I seem to be gaining them...
                            The late great comedian Jerry Clowers of Yazoo City, Mississippi fame talked about this quite a bit - "they finally grow up and leave, but they come BACK, and they bring OTHERS with them!"

Comment

The late great comedian Jerry Clowers of Yazoo City, Mississippi fame talked about this quite a bit - "they finally grow up and leave, but they come BACK, and they bring OTHERS with them!"
                              Mine brought the others without ever actually leaving...

Comment

Mine brought the others without ever actually leaving...
                                We have a strict rule in our house - you leave with the same number of people you came with.

Comment