Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Al Franken Resign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    hmmm
    Why? What were you thinking they thought?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      I was wondering if they believed Moore actually "had sex" with minors, or if he was just sexually harassing them. As far as I know, there aren't actually allegations of sex.

(And I was just listening to that allegation about him locking the passenger door so the girl could not get out, and that just rings so hollow - I don't know of any cars back then where the front seat passenger door could be locked "so one could not get out".)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Nobody has accused Moore of having sex with them, minor or not.

And reading the article, the Al Franken thing is more than just about a photo done in bad taste. He actually schemed to kiss her by trying to write it into a script and then wanted to "practice" and tried to french her during the "practice"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

And reading the article, the Al Franken thing is more than just about a photo done in bad taste. He actually schemed to kiss her by trying to write it into a script and then wanted to "practice" and tried to french her during the "practice"
          Yup, as in....

Obviously, you were too lazy to read the article, oh great champion of women's rights.

On the day of the show Franken and I were alone backstage going over our lines one last time. He said to me, “We need to rehearse the kiss.” I laughed and ignored him. Then he said it again. I said something like, ‘Relax Al, this isn’t SNL…we don’t need to rehearse the kiss.’

He continued to insist, and I was beginning to get uncomfortable.

He repeated that actors really need to rehearse everything and that we must practice the kiss. I said ‘OK’ so he would stop badgering me. We did the line leading up to the kiss and then he came at me, put his hand on the back of my head, mashed his lips against mine and aggressively stuck his tongue in my mouth.

Are ya there, yet?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I was wondering if they believed Moore actually "had sex" with minors, or if he was just sexually harassing them. As far as I know, there aren't actually allegations of sex.
            Ah, I might have that wrong then. Here's a direct quote from someone in the r/politics sub,
            "The picture doesn't show him groping her, just making a poor taste visual gag. The kissing part we'll have to see, but I think comparing this with molesting children is a bit extreme."

Another poster (likely liberal, because most of the website leans that way) in r/television puts the subject this way,
            "Should probably stop with the "Yeah but Moore" damage control. If you are truly about showing equality and respect to women, you should be disgusted by both issues regardless of the degree of severity.
            We're choosing teams now and pretty much rooting for someone on the other team to do something worse to their victim, and it's gross."

Comment

There may be another woman coming out accusing Franken of "stalking" her - what ever that means.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Yup, as in....
                Not sure if he is even actually touching her breasts in the photo or just holding his hands out in front. Plus she is wearing an armor vest it looks like. So yeah the photo is mostly bad taste, but it does support her story about the kissing and inappropriate behavior and the photo itself is a form of sexual harassment and bullying.

Comment

Yeah, I think I got that wrong, sorry.

Correct. As far as I can see they're addressing both points.

Comment

... liberals in r/politics on Reddit ... "The good thing about liberals is that we stand by our morals, and want to see this sort of thing brought forward, while conservatives only pay lip service to morality."
                    So you found the parody section?
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      There may be another woman coming out accusing Franken of "stalking" her - what ever that means.
                      Claims are so easy to make and so hard to prove... unless you have a proverbial smoking gun, like a picture of the accused literally caught in the act. Even if everything else Leeann Tweeden said is false, that picture alone is enough to convict Franken.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        reddit is full of omega males, I can believe these guys are honest dupes
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I don't know. I guess so. I don't usually read r/politics because it makes me nauseous, but the whole website leans pretty far left (certain quarters more than others). The only subreddit that doesn't lean left is one called r/The_Donald ,and that is usually so far to the other side that it's hard to take seriously as well. I kinda hate Reddit, but it's a nice time waster if I focus on areas of interest like film or hobbies. I checked out Voat for a minute, which was supposed to be an alternative to Reddit's far left self, but it was so ridiculously racist and pro neo-Nazi that I had to leave. So, oddly enough, since I tune out most news programs, I see what's new in the world from the left on Reddit, and on the right here at TWeb. I figure the truth is maybe someplace in the middle, or middle-left/middle-right depending on the topic.

Comment

I don't know. I guess so. I don't usually read r/politics because it makes me nauseous, but the whole website leans pretty far left (certain quarters more than others). The only subreddit that doesn't lean left is one called r/The_Donald ,and that is usually so far to the other side that it's hard to take seriously as well. I kinda hate Reddit, but it's a nice time waster if I focus on areas of interest like film or hobbies. I checked out Voat for a minute, which was supposed to be an alternative to Reddit's far left self, but it was so ridiculously racist and pro neo-Nazi that I had to leave. So, oddly enough, since I tune out most news programs, I see what's new in the world from the left on Reddit, and on the right here at TWeb. I figure the truth is maybe someplace in the middle, or middle-left/middle-right depending on the topic.
                            I've been saying for a while that it's impossible to tell the difference between satire, and liberal delusion.

Comment

I've been saying for a while that it's impossible to tell the difference between satire, and liberal delusion.
                              Eh, I think it can go both ways. I've seen people on the right who hold just as tightly to some extremely ridiculous ideas. Politics tends to bring out the worst in people. It paints people into an us vs. them mentality that sees no compromise, and allows for little charity. Granted there are issues that shouldn't see compromise, but for some people every issue is a left/right issue. Both liberals and conservatives are people, and I've seen all sorts from both sides, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Comment

And now for a little irony... Franken posted this to Facebook a little over one month ago:

Source: Al Franken, Facebook

The women who have shared their stories about Harvey Weinstein over the last few days are incredibly brave. It takes a lot of courage to come forward, and we owe them our thanks.

And as we hear more and more about Mr. Weinstein, it’s important to remember that while his behavior was appalling, it’s far too common.

That’s what Gretchen Carlson addresses in a New York Times op-ed she authored. In it, she says, “When I filed my sexual harassment lawsuit against Fox News’s chairman and chief executive, Roger Ailes, in July 2016, I felt alone. But after I told my story, thousands of women — police officers, teachers, oil-rig operators, sports executives, military officers, engineers, waitresses, lawyers, secretaries — told me theirs.

As I’ve listened to their experiences, I’ve realized that the disappointing responses women often face when they go public both embolden harassers and encourage victims to stay silent.”

We must do something to address this all-too-common problem. And one thing we can do—which Gretchen has become a bold advocate for—is reforming arbitration laws, which prevent people who experience workplace harassment from going to court. Instead, they are forced into arbitration, a process that heavily favors the employer, often denying them justice after they’ve been harassed at work. That’s why I’ve been working to pass the Arbitration Fairness Act—so that people in the workplace wouldn’t have to sign away their rights to have their day in court when they take a job.

This is only one part of the solution, and it’s unclear what, if any, role arbitration clauses played in Mr. Weinstein’s case. But it’s critical that we address this issue. Gretchen Carlson ends her piece with this: “I’m hopeful that the Weinstein story will represent the start of a sea change in our society’s treatment of sexually harassed workers. By ending arbitration clauses, blacklisting and workplace cultures where abuse thrives, we can ensure that victims of harassment speak out. I encourage victims to stand up and tell their stories, which I know requires immense bravery. And I’m hopeful that we’ll see changes in our laws and our culture that will allow them to do so without being victimized yet again.” I couldn’t agree more.

https://www.facebook.com/senatoralfr...17209188364958

© Copyright Original Source

I wonder how long it will take him to delete it? I saved a screenshot of the page just in case.

Comment