Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Scorpion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scorpion

pzv5j7l.jpg

I have to nominate this for the show with the worst science ever.

Macgyver is a close second.

But if you made a drinking game out of every time scorpion gets science wrong, you would be dead of alcohol poisoning before the first commercial.

This show is supposed to be "based on the real life and adventures of Walter O'Brien" who is supposed to be smarter than Einstein according to himself.

Well the real O'brien is just as phony as the show apparently.

The thing is, I actually enjoy watching the show!

But not for it's riviting plots, but just to pick apart the science. It is like watching a train wreck.

Yeah, I started watching it, but found it way too unbelievable.... It's like those cop shows where the "cops" do things real cops would never do. But worse.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yeah, I started watching it, but found it way too unbelievable.... It's like those cop shows where the "cops" do things real cops would never do. But worse.
      Yeah. You can't watch those kind of shows unless you watch them sarcastically just to pick out the flaws and have a good laugh.

Almost any kind of computer role on TV is like that. They can zoom in on any image and "clean it up" - they never ever use a mouse but just type away furiously on a keyboard while random windows pop up and display information. NCIS always has some slide show available on their monitor that they just click through and have all the relevant information available to show to Gibbs.

On the recent Scorpion a guy was shot in the STOMACH and then his heart stopped. Toby, the "doctor" character said "the bullet must have nicked his pericardium and it is filling with blood!" - uh the heart is not in the gut the last time I checked. But OK let's go with that. So they have to start his heart! Well apparently someone blew a transformer which somehow caused an EMP (!) that destroyed their phones and the CAPACITOR in the defibrillator. Well transformers don't create EMPs when they blow. And EMP's don't destroy capacitors, but delicate electronics like transistors and chips. Capacitors wouldn't be effected, especially in a machine that was turned off at the time. Now it might somehow imbue a charge onto the capacitor that would fry the rest of the board. But then Walter builds a capacitor out of a jar and some spare parts that is apparently powerful enough to charge the defibrillator and save the guys life.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Almost any kind of computer role on TV is like that. They can zoom in on any image and "clean it up" - they never ever use a mouse but just type away furiously on a keyboard while random windows pop up and display information. NCIS always has some slide show available on their monitor that they just click through and have all the relevant information available to show to Gibbs.
        Yes, and there is ALWAYS a cell phone ping, or they obtain the complete cell phone call record, or access a camera... that just HAPPENS to have recorded or substantiated their case... Or they even task a satellite, or obtain video from a passover that shows a license plate...
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes, and there is ALWAYS a cell phone ping, or they obtain the complete cell phone call record, or access a camera... that just HAPPENS to have recorded or substantiated their case... Or they even task a satellite, or obtain video from a passover that shows a license plate...
          Except when they need to find someone earlier than the final moments of the show, then it never works. "We lost the trace! He hung up before we could complete it!" or "We can't find them because they are bouncing their IP addresses all over the world!"

and on TV it is sooooo simple to just knock someone conveniently unconscious. And they recover in minutes with no lasting damage. In real life it is pretty hard to knock someone out and if you do, you probably gave him brain damage and he is going to be in rehab for a year.

Same with getting shot. In real life cops get shot and spend months in the hospital and rehab. On TV they get shot, put on a tourniquet and keep going to get the bad guy.

and you ever notice guns don't have any kickback/recoil on TV? they just shoot round after round without the gun moving a bit. Or making them deaf.
          Last edited by Sparko; 11-17-2017, 10:40 AM.

Comment

But then Walter builds a capacitor out of a jar and some spare parts that is apparently powerful enough to charge the defibrillator and save the guys life.
            How do they charge the capacitor without power?
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              Oh they fixed the transformer with some what looked like 16ga wire and making a core out of swords from the Renaissance festival they were at.
              Last edited by Sparko; 11-17-2017, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                It was unusually low humidity that day, so the static electricity in the air.....

Comment

It was unusually low humidity that day, so the static electricity in the air.....
                  Funny you said that. After their transformer fix broke, they had to recharge the defibrillator and they used a spinning wheel and some wool.

Comment

Yeah. You can't watch those kind of shows unless you watch them sarcastically just to pick out the flaws and have a good laugh.

On the recent Scorpion a guy was shot in the STOMACH and then his heart stopped. Toby, the "doctor" character said "the bullet must have nicked his pericardium and it is filling with blood!" - uh the heart is not in the gut the last time I checked. But OK let's go with that. So they have to start his heart! Well apparently someone blew a transformer which somehow caused an EMP (!) that destroyed their phones and the CAPACITOR in the defibrillator. Well transformers don't create EMPs when they blow. And EMP's don't destroy capacitors, but delicate electronics like transistors and chips. Capacitors wouldn't be effected, especially in a machine that was turned off at the time. Now it might somehow imbue a charge onto the capacitor that would fry the rest of the board. But then Walter builds a capacitor out of a jar and some spare parts that is apparently powerful enough to charge the defibrillator and save the guys life.
                    And the pericardium is a sac around the heart. If it was indeed nicked, it wouldn't fill with blood - any fluid build up would leak out reliving any pressure around the heart. There is a real condition called cardiac tampanode where the pericardium does fill with blood squeezing the heart so it can't beat forcefully. The treatment is to use a needle to pierce the chest cavity into the pericardium to drain the fluid, thus reliving the pressue.

Source? I'm an EMT.
                    We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Lol...you really must like something in this show...you discussed this in a previous thread somewhere...
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Funny you said that. After their transformer fix broke, they had to recharge the defibrillator and they used a spinning wheel and some wool.
                        At least SOME of the original MacGyver stuff was almost believable.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
                          And the pericardium is a sac around the heart. If it was indeed nicked, it wouldn't fill with blood - any fluid build up would leak out reliving any pressure around the heart. There is a real condition called cardiac tampanode where the pericardium does fill with blood squeezing the heart so it can't beat forcefully. The treatment is to use a needle to pierce the chest cavity into the pericardium to drain the fluid, thus reliving the pressue.

Source? I'm an EMT.
                          Yeah you are right! I didn't even catch that.

It is like whoever is writing this show is making every effort to get every single detail wrong. If they were doing it for comedic effect it would be one thing, but if you watch the show, even though it does have some light heartedness to it, it is obviously trying to be serious about the science. And failing miserably.

Comment

At least SOME of the original MacGyver stuff was almost believable.
                            Yeah it was pretty bad but not this bad. The new MacGyver is almost as bad as Scorpion. I think it is made by the same producer. Who also does the new Hawaii 5-O which has a lot of gaffs in it too. Alex Kurzman.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                              Lol...you really must like something in this show...you discussed this in a previous thread somewhere...
                              Yeah I was looking for my old thread and couldn't find it so I made it again.

Like I said I like to watch it for the goofs. A show I love to hate or hate to love.

Comment