Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Scorpion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Except when they need to find someone earlier than the final moments of the show, then it never works. "We lost the trace! He hung up before we could complete it!" or "We can't find them because they are bouncing their IP addresses all over the world!"

and on TV it is sooooo simple to just knock someone conveniently unconscious. And they recover in minutes with no lasting damage. In real life it is pretty hard to knock someone out and if you do, you probably gave him brain damage and he is going to be in rehab for a year.

Same with getting shot. In real life cops get shot and spend months in the hospital and rehab. On TV they get shot, put on a tourniquet and keep going to get the bad guy.
    That's Hollywood in general. If someone (especially the star) has the stew beat out of them a day later at most they have a tiny, usually photogenically placed bruise that disappears in short order. And remember the old Westerns where someone got shot in the shoulder with a .45 and only had to put their arm in a sling for a day or two before feeling right as rain and ready to go.

In the original Lethal Weapon Mel Gibson's character is brutally tortured has to fight his way to freedom and then runs a couple miles to stop the bad guy -- by fighting him hand to hand.

and you ever notice guns don't have any kickback/recoil on TV? they just shoot round after round without the gun moving a bit. Or making them deaf.
    Or never run out of bullets.

In one episode of the old show Starsky and Hutch they got ambushed along a stretch of highway. I counted (I'm the sort of person who does that) that between the two of them they fired well over a hundred rounds before they stopped and reloaded. Considering that this is what they carried that was quite the feat.

Of course rogue tech has been working on a solution for that

The other hand is, um, placed for balance. Yeah. That's it
    Last edited by rogue06; 11-17-2017, 11:08 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      At least SOME of the original MacGyver stuff was almost believable.
      MacGyver's producers said that they made a point to leave out stuff so that there wouldn't be copycats

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        MacGyver's producers said that they made a point to leave out stuff so that there wouldn't be copycats
        But they also did some obviously stupid things that broke science. Like exploding oxygen tanks. I think mythbusters used to have macgyver episodes where they busted the show pretty bad.

Comment

I remember a "film loop" where The Rifleman is walking down the street firing his rifle like 30 times, then he stops, takes a bullet out of his shirt pocket, loads it into his rifle, and continues another 30 rounds....
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In one episode of the old show Starsky and Hutch they got ambushed along a stretch of highway. I counted (I'm the sort of person who does that) that between the two of them they fired well over a hundred rounds before they stopped and reloaded.
            And, immediately following, they talk in normal voices with no hearing impairment whatsoever... a normal guy would be yelling "WHAT? What's THAT YOU SAY!?!?!"
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

AND, as I have stated earlier, I love it when the cops see the bad guy they're looking for - he's across the street, so instead of splitting up and quietly working their way to 'catch him in the middle', they just yell at him from across the street, leaving him a wide open path to play zoomzoom. (But then, there wouldn't be a foot chase, would there?)

Comment

And, immediately following, they talk in normal voices with no hearing impairment whatsoever... a normal guy would be yelling "WHAT? What's THAT YOU SAY!?!?!"
                that always cracks me up. Cops go around shooting inside houses with no ear protection and then just calmly go about their day. I was out shooting with a friend and we had ear muffs and were outside and it was still hella loud. I had my muffs around my neck with my back to my friend talking to his kid about 10 feet away when he decided to shoot without warning. I had ringing in my ear for 15 minutes. ow. And that was just one shot.

Comment

AND, as I have stated earlier, I love it when the cops see the bad guy they're looking for - he's across the street, so instead of splitting up and quietly working their way to 'catch him in the middle', they just yell at him from across the street, leaving him a wide open path to play zoomzoom. (But then, there wouldn't be a foot chase, would there?)
                  That irks me to death! They see a suspect they are looking for they just yell at him far enough away for him to bolt. arrgh. then they scream "stop! police!" - yeah.

Oh and if I ever turn into a criminal and a cop knocks on my door, I am going to shoot to the SIDE of the door instead of the door.

Comment

Can you imagine if the real world were like hollywood?

You could get gut shot 3 times and still fight back and take hours of torture and pain, but if someone taps you on the neck you do down like a rag doll.

Comment

That irks me to death! They see a suspect they are looking for they just yell at him far enough away for him to bolt. arrgh. then they scream "stop! police!" - yeah.

Oh and if I ever turn into a criminal and a cop knocks on my door, I am going to shoot to the SIDE of the door instead of the door.
                      Here are some other helpful hints.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

that always cracks me up. Cops go around shooting inside houses with no ear protection and then just calmly go about their day. I was out shooting with a friend and we had ear muffs and were outside and it was still hella loud. I had my muffs around my neck with my back to my friend talking to his kid about 10 feet away when he decided to shoot without warning. I had ringing in my ear for 15 minutes. ow. And that was just one shot.
                        I probably told this story before, but I was dispatched to a neighborhood one night where there was a report of a rabid dog lurking around. I pulled up under a big tree hanging out over the road, turned off my car, killed my lights, and turned the police radio way down. It was a cold crisp night, and I knew that sound travels far, so I was just going to sit there and listen for barking or other noises.

All of a sudden KUJO is at my car window trying to get in, and I grab my Ruter .357 Magnum, but the seat belt keeps me from drawing it immediately. The dog is growling, throwing foam all over the place, trying to climb in the window, and I finally get my .357 clear and fire 3 shots into his chest and head, killing him dead. After I caught my breath, I radioed in that I had dispatched the dog, but they didn't answer. I tried again - no answer. Then I realized I had turned my radio way down, so I turned it up to normal volume. No answer. And it hit me -- I hear this loud ringing, and everything else is dead - I turn my radio up full volume, and can't hear it at all.

Other officers arrive, and the next thing I know, they're telling me "STOP YELLING AT US, WE CAN HEAR YOU!"

Yeah, I was pretty deaf for about a day and a half!

Comment

Can you imagine if the real world were like hollywood?

You could get gut shot 3 times and still fight back and take hours of torture and pain, but if someone taps you on the neck you do down like a rag doll.
                          Yeah, and the cops roll into a warehouse where all the bad guys have Uzis or Mac10s or other handheld machine guns, 1,000 rounds are fired in every direction, and none of the good guys gets shot.

Comment

Yeah, and the cops roll into a warehouse where all the bad guys have Uzis or Mac10s or other handheld machine guns, 1,000 rounds are fired in every direction, and none of the good guys gets shot.
                            Bad guys have horrible aim in the dramatic shootout scenes, unless they need to wound or kill a leading character for emotional drama.

and never EVER be the President talking at a podium outside. The sniper will always wound or kill you so the hero can chase him for the next two hours.

Comment

That's Hollywood in general. If someone (especially the star) has the stew beat out of them a day later at most they have a tiny, usually photogenically placed bruise that disappears in short order. And remember the old Westerns where someone got shot in the shoulder with a .45 and only had to put their arm in a sling for a day or two before feeling right as rain and ready to go.

In the original Lethal Weapon Mel Gibson's character is brutally tortured has to fight his way to freedom and then runs a couple miles to stop the bad guy -- by fighting him hand to hand.

In one episode of the old show Starsky and Hutch they got ambushed along a stretch of highway. I counted (I'm the sort of person who does that) that between the two of them they fired well over a hundred rounds before they stopped and reloaded. Considering that this is what they carried that was quite the feat.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24963[/ATTACH]

Of course rogue tech has been working on a solution for that

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24964[/ATTACH]

The other hand is, um, placed for balance. Yeah. That's it
                              I see Cooper is out of the hospital and still stupid enough to work in your testing department.

Balance nothing - he's remembering that rocket assisted saddle from last month...
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Bad guys have horrible aim in the dramatic shootout scenes, unless they need to wound or kill a leading character for emotional drama.

and never EVER be the President talking at a podium outside. The sniper will always wound or kill you so the hero can chase him for the next two hours.
                                Have you seen White House Down?

The main character does count his rounds - once. No matter how many bullets are flying, or how much debris is launched, it all misses him. Also, all the guys with 'military training' keep shooting instead of finding cover and waiting for him to peek over his cover - even when he's trapped.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment