Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Scorpion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's kinda like in the monster movies --- no matter how slow the monster drags while chasing you, you will fall or trip and he WILL get you.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I probably told this story before, but I was dispatched to a neighborhood one night where there was a report of a rabid dog lurking around. I pulled up under a big tree hanging out over the road, turned off my car, killed my lights, and turned the police radio way down. It was a cold crisp night, and I knew that sound travels far, so I was just going to sit there and listen for barking or other noises.

All of a sudden KUJO is at my car window trying to get in, and I grab my Ruter .357 Magnum, but the seat belt keeps me from drawing it immediately. The dog is growling, throwing foam all over the place, trying to climb in the window, and I finally get my .357 clear and fire 3 shots into his chest and head, killing him dead. After I caught my breath, I radioed in that I had dispatched the dog, but they didn't answer. I tried again - no answer. Then I realized I had turned my radio way down, so I turned it up to normal volume. No answer. And it hit me -- I hear this loud ringing, and everything else is dead - I turn my radio up full volume, and can't hear it at all.

Other officers arrive, and the next thing I know, they're telling me "STOP YELLING AT US, WE CAN HEAR YOU!"

Yeah, I was pretty deaf for about a day and a half!
      But that's nowhere NEAR as fun as our big Hungarian cop named Joe who was a real neatnik, and always complained if somebody left the radio car not pristine. (Joe was the only cop on the planet who knew everything about police work, the rest of us were all dummies)

One night, he went out to the sally port, did his walk-around of the patrol unit for physical damage, got inside and started his radio log, entering the vehicle's mileage, then things went bad.

Our shotguns were stored butt-down in the vehicle, barrel-up - with an electronic release that held them to the dashboard in that position. Joe happened to notice a speck of dust on the trigger, which he felt obligated to remove.

INSIDE the police muster room, we heard a loud BOOM in the garage, and we all grabbed our weapons and headed out there, only to see a little trail of smoke coming from a hole in the top of the police vehicle, and buckshot spatter on the roof of the garage.

Joe was stone deaf for about 3 days, and VERY difficult to get along with. Especially when we posted our shooting range qualifying scores on the board, and his had "even qualified in-car in the garage".

(yeah, somebody obviously pumped a round into the chamber, and forgot to clear it before securing the shotgun in the mount)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But that's nowhere NEAR as fun as our big Hungarian cop named Joe who was a real neatnik, and always complained if somebody left the radio car not pristine. (Joe was the only cop on the planet who knew everything about police work, the rest of us were all dummies)

One night, he went out to the sally port, did his walk-around of the patrol unit for physical damage, got inside and started his radio log, entering the vehicle's mileage, then things went bad.

Our shotguns were stored butt-down in the vehicle, barrel-up - with an electronic release that held them to the dashboard in that position. Joe happened to notice a speck of dust on the trigger, which he felt obligated to remove.

INSIDE the police muster room, we heard a loud BOOM in the garage, and we all grabbed our weapons and headed out there, only to see a little trail of smoke coming from a hole in the top of the police vehicle, and buckshot spatter on the roof of the garage.

Joe was stone deaf for about 3 days, and VERY difficult to get along with. Especially when we posted our shooting range qualifying scores on the board, and his had "even qualified in-car in the garage".

(yeah, somebody obviously pumped a round into the chamber, and forgot to clear it before securing the shotgun in the mount)
        And this, boys and girls, is why we have gun control laws. There's always at least one moron - or in this case, two.

Guns are ALWAYS loaded. Triggers are ALWAYS hair triggers.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          And this, boys and girls, is why we have gun control laws. There's always at least one moron - or in this case, two.

Um, it's possible there was only one moron -- Joe didn't seem too particularly interested in who left the shotgun uncleared. We suspect it might have been him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Almost any kind of computer role on TV is like that. They can zoom in on any image and "clean it up" - they never ever use a mouse but just type away furiously on a keyboard while random windows pop up and display information. NCIS always has some slide show available on their monitor that they just click through and have all the relevant information available to show to Gibbs.
            I'm not sure of the veracity, but I read somewhere on Reddit once that show runners for TV shows like NCIS and the like make the scenes involving computers and hacking ridiculous on purpose, just to try and one-up each other, and see how much nonsense they can get away with.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Here are some other helpful hints.
              To go with #70 ("When my guards split up to search for intruders, they will always travel in groups of at least two. They will be trained so that if one of them disappears mysteriously while on patrol, the other will immediately initiate an alert and call for backup, instead of quizzically peering around a corner") have you ever noticed that when the hero sneaks into the villain's stronghold all the guards they encounter always fight them in silence -- never screaming out for assistance or sounding the alarm?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah, and the cops roll into a warehouse where all the bad guys have Uzis or Mac10s or other handheld machine guns, 1,000 rounds are fired in every direction, and none of the good guys gets shot.
                The A-Team specialized in that. Shoot outs that start out where both sides are lined up barely 10' apart and yet none of them got hit.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That the firearm is loaded -- even if you just reassembled it after cleaning it -- is one lesson my father hammered into my brother and I.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    To go with #70 ("When my guards split up to search for intruders, they will always travel in groups of at least two. They will be trained so that if one of them disappears mysteriously while on patrol, the other will immediately initiate an alert and call for backup, instead of quizzically peering around a corner") have you ever noticed that when the hero sneaks into the villain's stronghold all the guards they encounter always fight them in silence -- never screaming out for assistance or sounding the alarm?
                    obviously the guards had their tongues cut out and throats cut during disciplinary actions in the past. They work for maniacal super villains after all.

Comment

That the firearm is loaded -- even if you just reassembled it after cleaning it -- is one lesson my father hammered into my brother and I.
                      And he used a real hammer.

Comment

Um, it's possible there was only one moron -- Joe didn't seem too particularly interested in who left the shotgun uncleared. We suspect it might have been him.
                        That really doesn't help.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

If you were stupid enough to let the hero get the drop on you, would you want your buddies to know?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

And he used a real hammer.
                            I like your dad.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

If you were stupid enough to let the hero get the drop on you, would you want your buddies to know?
                              In one case, in the James Bond movie For Your Eyes Only the final battle takes place at an abandoned Greek Orthodox monastery set at the top of a rocky precipice.

Meteora_Agios_Triadas_IMG_7632.jpg
                              Monastery of the Holy Trinity, Meteora in central
                              Greece served as the setting for "St. Cyril's"

After scaling the cliff Bond runs along the outside edge flinging henchman after henchman over the edge and even then not a single one let's out a scream or any other sound.

Comment

In one case, in the James Bond movie For Your Eyes Only the final battle takes place at an abandoned Greek Orthodox monastery set at the top of a rocky precipice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24982[/ATTACH]
                                Monastery of the Holy Trinity, Meteora in central
                                Greece served as the setting for "St. Cyril's"

After scaling the cliff Bond runs along the outside edge flinging henchman after henchman over the edge and even then not a single one let's out a scream or any other sound.
                                This would be why evil overlords shouldn't drug their henchmen to maintain their loyalty.

Also, you're getting a little apostrophe happy...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment