Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Students and parents upset over gender neutral bathrooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Students and parents upset over gender neutral bathrooms

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...erta-1.4406077

When 16-year-old Evan Gabbey arrived for his first day of Grade 11 this year at Sturgeon Composite High School in Namao, he was shocked at some changes to the washroom facilities.

"A lot of students were not happy. There was a lot of unrest. It was the talk of the school for the first few days," said Gabbey.

While the initial anger was over the fact that students weren't consulted, concerns soon turned to logistical issues for those who prefer to use the few available gender-specific washrooms located at the very front of the school and out of the way from many classrooms.

Lineups for those washrooms can get long, Gabbey said.

Another issue is that the multi-stalled gender neutral toilets are in stalls where the dividers don't extend to the floor or the ceiling.

"You can peek both over and under so that's a privacy issue right there," Gabbey said.

While students are using the gender-neutral washrooms, those who don't feel comfortable aren't being properly accommodated, Gabbey suggested.

"We're not against the gender-neutral washrooms," he said. "What we're against is the fact that, based on population, the number of people who need gender-neutral washrooms, who require and prefer those accommodations, is very, very small.

"Yet we've gone way above that line and made almost all of the washrooms gender-neutral."

He took his concerns and suggestions to Baldassarre. (the principal)

"He didn't indicate any changes are coming — that it was just going to stay the way it is," said Gabbey, who then decided to start a petition.

Out of a student body of about 680 students, 330 have signed the petition, which calls for additional separate female and male washrooms.
    Please read the entire article.

Not mentioned in it is the response of the Education Minister, whose government insisted that school accommodate gender-neutral individuals.

"Hopefully they will sort it out soon," he said.

So helpful.

I don't really want arguing about this. But this article highlights some of the problems with the whole concept of gender neutral bathrooms, especially when the school or organization takes it to an extreme such as this, where the majority of people are unaccommodated for the sake of political correctness.
    Last edited by mossrose; 11-17-2017, 06:54 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Another issue is that the multi-stalled gender neutral toilets are in stalls where the dividers don't extend to the floor or the ceiling.
    That's good if it's the only issue (and i can see why they wouldn't extend to the floor since it makes the stall a lot easier to clean, and if someone is dumb enough to look you can just kick them in the head). At my school you can see through the gap between the door and the frame in most stalls. They're as close to being designed for perverts as they can be without making the doors out of see-through glass. It's why i prefer using handicapped bathrooms/stalls.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

and I bet a lot of students are reluctant to use a gender neutral bathroom out of fear it might make other students think they are gay or transgender when they are not

Comment