Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

To Catholics - what is the purpose of the sacraments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Catholics - what is the purpose of the sacraments?

I've been listening to some lectures on the sacraments on the Thomistic Institute podcast but I'm still not entirely sure what the purpose of them as a class is. I get they're a means of grace but how do they differ from wise council or teaching? I get the impression it is something to do with the relationship between faith and works but i'm not exactly sure how. Any responses would be much appreciated.

If I may offer an Orthodox point of view....

The sacraments (not limited to 7) are where heaven and earth intersect. They are grace acting on humanity. I'm not sure what they have to do with wise counsel or teaching other than the wise counsel or teaching being Spirit-led.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Physiocrat View Post
      I've been listening to some lectures on the sacraments on the Thomistic Institute podcast but I'm still not entirely sure what the purpose of them as a class is. I get they're a means of grace but how do they differ from wise council or teaching? I get the impression it is something to do with the relationship between faith and works but i'm not exactly sure how. Any responses would be much appreciated.
      As you point out, a means of grace. Christianity is an incarnational faith, the "spiritual" was made manifest through the material. So it follows that the Lord uses the material things, we can learn of the Lord and the faith directly from the Lord, but the usual way is to learn of faith through other persons, and grow in the faith through interacting with a community (church, Christian discussion, or Christian internet boards). It is the natural world being used by our Lord.

I think your question here ultimately focuses on grace itself, more so than sacraments. Grace is available to all, but we are not all equally prepared to receive. Both faith and works interact to help us be prepared to receive grace, being receptive is not automatic, but is something we must strive for.

The whole of life is ordered around sacraments (and sacramentals). We are born, get sick, and die; we enter the married secular vocation or religious vocation; we sin and need to repent and be healed.

The sacramental view was probably the biggest difference for me in outlook between the Protestant and the Catholic outlook. But it was one which ultimately made sense to me. It is not "magic", any more than the whole of the faith is magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Physiocrat View Post
        1. They are primarily Actions of Christ, for the sanctification of His Church. “Primarily”, because they include human activity: they are a special application of the everyday circumstance that God makes use of human beings to further His purpose. As when God, the Author of all of the Bible, made use of human beings to compose all its parts, so that the Bible is entirely from God, and entirely from men, “moved by the Spirit of God”. The Sacraments are like that: God, through the Holy Spirit, uses human beings and human things to produce Divine effects, for the salvation of souls, the increase and sanctification of the Church, and the Glory of God.

2. The Church in union with the Pope of Rome recognises 7 of them:
        Baptism
        Confirmation
        The Holy Eucharist
        Ordination
        Holy Matrimony
        Penance
        Anointing of the Sick/Extreme Unction

The Holy Eucharist has the place of honour among them, since it is the Sacrament of the Body and Blood of Christ, the Source of all Grace in His Church.

They are the principal means of grace for the Church. From the Church’s POV, all material reality is, in some sense, sacramental. That is, it is a sign, pointing beyond itself, of the God by Whom it was created. A sacrament might be defined as an outward material sign and cause of an inward invisible grace. So, for instance, the material and visible water of Baptism stands for the inward cleansing which the Holy Spirit brings about in the souls of those being baptised. The water is both the sign of the cleansing produced, and its instrumental cause.

Hope that helps. Quite how much info you’d like is not clear; I hope that’s not too alien. For a lot more info, the Catechism of the Catholic Church should help: see sections 1113 to 1666. http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_cs...m/p2s1c1a2.htm

Comment

@Rushing Jaws and Simplicio-

Thanks for the explanations.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X