Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

FBI has not verified Trump dossier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI has not verified Trump dossier

FBI has not verified Trump dossier

FBI and Justice Department officials have told congressional investigators in recent days that they have not been able to verify or corroborate the substantive allegations of collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign outlined in the Trump dossier.

The FBI received the first installment of the dossier in July 2016. It received later installments as they were written at the height of the presidential campaign, which means the bureau has had more than a year to investigate the allegations in the document. The dossier was financed by the Hillary Clinton campaign and compiled by former British spy Christopher Steele.

An August 24, 2017 subpoena from the House Intelligence Committee to the FBI and Justice Department asked for information on the bureau's efforts to validate the dossier. Specifically, the subpoena demanded "any documents, if they exist, that memorialize DOJ and/or FBI efforts to corroborate, validate, or evaluate information provided by Mr. Steele and/or sub-sources and/or contained in the 'Trump Dossier.'"

According to sources familiar with the matter, neither the FBI nor the Justice Department has provided documents in response to that part of the committee's subpoena. But in face-to-face briefings with congressional staff, according to those sources, FBI and DOJ officials have said they cannot verify the dossier's charges of a conspiracy between the Russian government and the Trump campaign.

The news appears to contradict recent statements from some top Democrats. "A lot of it has turned out to be true," Rep. Adam Schiff, ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence panel, told the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday.
    This is going to be very disappointing to some of our TrumpHaters
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

But we've known this since it was first released. I recall officials saying at the time that they only showed it to Trump as an example of what an unverified document looks like.

"The news appears to contradict recent statements from some top Democrats."

You don't say.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

how would a politician even know what "true" even means?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        how would a politician even know what "true" even means?
        Well first off they need to determine what the meaning of "is" is.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          But we've known this since it was first released. I recall officials saying at the time that they only showed it to Trump as an example of what an unverified document looks like.

"The news appears to contradict recent statements from some top Democrats."

You don't say.
          As well as some really low Tweb Democrats.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You have to be a complete ideological stooge to think there was any weight to the Trump-Russia allegations.
            My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

I love how our resident liberals have avoided this thread like the plague.

Comment

Yup, but JimL has been absent - he'll probably show up eventually and set us all straight.

Comment

And it continues....

Some of the journalists covering the alleged Russian connection were prostituting journalism....
                  Fusion GPS paid journalists, court papers confirm

Newly filed court documents confirm that Fusion GPS, the company mostly responsible for the controversial “Trump dossier” on presidential candidate Donald Trump, made payments to three journalists between June 2016 until February 2017.

The revelation could be a breakthrough for House Republicans, who are exploring whether Fusion GPS used the dossier, which was later criticized for having inaccurate information on Trump, to feed anti-Trump stories to the press during and after the presidential campaign. The three journalists who were paid by Fusion GPS are known to have reported on "Russia issues relevant to [the committee's] investigation," the House Intelligence Committee said in a court filing.

Comment

Talk about colluding with Russia...

Comment

Didn't you think our local liberals would be here to explain this all to us?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        It is a conspiracy?
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          It is a conspiracy?
                          Well, there's no evidence of one, so ... must be!

Comment

Yeah, nothing in the dossier is true except this little nugget.

Carter Page's testimony is filled with bombshells — and supports key portions of the Steele dossier

http://www.businessinsider.com/carte...ossier-2017-11

The House Intelligence Committee on Monday released the full transcript of the former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page's testimony before the panel last week, portions of which support details in an explosive collection of memos outlining alleged collusion between the campaign and Moscow before the 2016 US election.

Page revealed during his testimony that he met with members of Russia's presidential administration and the head of investor relations at the Russian state-owned oil giant Rosneft during his trip to Moscow in July 2016.

He also congratulated members of the Trump campaign's foreign-policy team on July 14 for their "excellent work" on the "Ukraine amendment" — a reference to the Trump campaign's decision to "intervene," a representative previously told Business Insider, to water down a proposed amendment to the GOP's Ukraine platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              The Trump campaign met with Russian nationals on thirty separate occasions, discussed hacked material the latter had on Trumps political opponents, and held negotiations on foreign policy they denied on federal documents.

But they totally never conspired in any way whatsoever, and have nothing to hide.

Comment