Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Analyses of Jesus' Wife Fragment Finally Published

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Also, there is the matter of the church being the bride of Christ
    I already mentioned that, but even so, that is a symbol. Unless you think Polygamy is a good thing since the church is all of the saints. Both sexes too. Taking that literally could lead to some very problematic theology.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      Sure. Those who think it is very possible that Jesus was married would not necessarily think that Jesus planned on getting crucified and do not see most of the gospels as having much of a biographical or historical focus, at least not in the modern sense of the term. But, even with those assumptions, I would still think that Jesus was probably celibate and a few of his teachings suggest this.
      Agreed.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I already mentioned that, but even so, that is a symbol. Unless you think Polygamy is a good thing since the church is all of the saints. Both sexes too. Taking that literally could lead to some very problematic theology.
        'Twas a joke
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

'Twas a joke
          I am reporting you to Mickiel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I am reporting you to Mickiel.
            Harumph! Peace to you on your journey.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Harumph! Peace to you on your journey.
              I don't like being Harumphed! I am leaving.

Comment

Papyrus Referring to Jesus’ Wife Is More Likely Ancient Than Fake, Scientists Say
                The test results do not prove that Jesus had a wife or disciples who were women, only that the fragment is more likely a snippet from an ancient manuscript than a fake, the scholars agree. Karen L. King, the historian at Harvard Divinity School who gave the papyrus its name and fame, has said all along that it should not be regarded as evidence that Jesus married, only that early Christians were actively discussing celibacy, sex, marriage and discipleship.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  I've been following this for a couple years. Here is a neat analysis of the evidence for the forgery of the fragment.
                  Here is Prof. Watson's response to the recent article. In sum, the new evidence largely doesn't address his reasons for finding it to be a forgery; the text seems to be dependent on a modern edition of the Gospel of Thomas (to the point of including typographical errors only attested in the modern edition).
                  Last edited by One Bad Pig; 04-11-2014, 09:55 AM.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Here is Prof. Watson's response to the recent article. In sum, the new evidence largely doesn't address his reasons for finding it to be a forgery; the text seems to be dependent on a modern edition of the Gospel of Thomas (to the point of including typographical errors only attested in the modern edition).
                    Would it be possible to forge the ink?

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                      Would it be possible to forge the ink?
                      Yep.

http://markgoodacre.org/Watson4.pdf
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        I've read the paper, but I was hoping for more confirmation that it could be so.

Comment

Shy of carbon dating how would you tell the difference between modern and ancient lamp black? It's an easy ink to make and reasonable care with the formula should keep all but radiocarbon dating from identifying it.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Shy of carbon dating how would you tell the difference between modern and ancient lamp black? It's an easy ink to make and reasonable care with the formula should keep all but radiocarbon dating from identifying it.

A really clever forger could even scrape ink off an ancient manuscript and reconstitute it.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Here is Prof. Watson's response to the recent article. In sum, the new evidence largely doesn't address his reasons for finding it to be a forgery.
                              Thanks, OBP.

My schedule is ... :shrieklichkeit: (<— we need that smiley, and yes, that's the way I want it spelled) at the mo', so I can't contribute at anything near a good standard.

But here are some initial reactions.

First, the Goodacre Blog you linked in your earlier post:

The Jesus' Wife Fragment: How the Forgery Was Done

What's this "How the forgery was done" business? Has that been concluded already? I haven't seen that conclusion anywhere else. It can't possibly be a consensus, or I'd be seeing it elsewhere.

My first reaction is that this guy does not follow the usual standards of academic objectivity. The eyebrow has been raised.

And in fact his evidence is at best circumstantial, and at worst, made up of little more than personal bias.
                              1. Gos. Jes. Wife borrows the framework for a simple dialogue between Jesus and his disciples from Gos. Thom. 12.

2. All decipherable words in Gos. Jes. Wife appear in Gos. Thom. with a single exception: TAHIME (“my wife.”)

3. The words of each line of text in Gos. Jes. Wife are found in close proximity to each other in Gos. Thom.

4. The forger has slightly redacted Gos. Thom. by making masculine pronouns feminine and (attempting to) transform affirmative/negative statements into their opposites.

5. More than half a dozen notable textual features in Gos. Jes. Wife can be attributed to a forger’s dependence on Grondin’s Interlinear.

Numbers 1 and 4 are circumstantial, but interesting in my view for another reason, apart from evidence of forgery, because they support GoThomas as a literary source for the author of GoJesuswife. Hey, GoJw's got to have been based on something, right?

Numbers 2 and 3, though, are just bad statistics. You can see the fragment in all of these articles. The available sample of words and contiguities isn't big enough for anything but garbage-out analyses. Number 2 is worse; it's bad logic.

Number 5 is beyond my ability to critique, but lays to rest any lingering doubts that Goodacre may be referring to a 4th-8th century forger, unless Grondin was an early church father. And that's where I stop taking Goodacre seriously, because the fragment's papyrus and inks are now dated with a terminus ante quem that removes Grondin from the picture entirely.
                              The papyrus fragment has now been analyzed by professors of electrical engineering, chemistry and biology at Columbia University, Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who reported that it resembles other ancient papyri from the fourth to the eighth centuries. (Scientists at the University of Arizona, who dated the fragment to centuries before the birth of Jesus, concluded that their results were unreliable.)

And no, critiques of the dating techniques do not constitute evidence of a modern forgery. They do no more than give us reasons to be hesitant when beginning analyses with an understanding that this is a fourth to eighth century fragment.

Your immediate link is to Professor Watson's response (PDF) which includes a quote from Leo Depuydt:
                              I am personally 100% certain that the Wife of Jesus Fragment is a forgery. I have otherwise never deemed ink or papyrus tests necessary or relevant in light of the evidence set forth below. I will make three brief observations, however. First, the ink tests show chemical composition, in this case carbon-based “lamp black,” not age. Carbon-based ink is exactly the type that I would have used if I had been the forger. Second, as for the papyrus, nothing is more common than for forged paintings to be painted on an old piece of wood. And third, in a letter of July 19, 2013, accompanying his report, the principal investigator of the radiocarbon dating test, Professor Greg Hodgins, states that certain stable isotope measurements “[cast] doubt upon the validity of the radiocarbon date.”

I don't see any reason to read that beyond the first sentence. But I did anyway. And I'm now officially blaming Goodacre for wasting my time.

The eyebrow is lowered, and replaced with an entirely justifiable sneer. Into the bucket with Holding you go, Goodacre.

Understand I take it for granted there are no surviving texts with reliable quotations from Jesus — sorry, I put most of the canonical gospels in that category, too — but that if he had a wife we'd know about it already, and that pseudepigrapha are more numerous in history than authentic texts. Paul's letters, by their pillorying of his own pseudigraphers — a pillorying ironically copied by his copiers for verisimilitude according to Ehrman — make it clear that that last was already an issue with Christian texts in the first century.

So it's reasonable to assume from the outset, at the very least, that a fragment from the fourth to eighth centuries can't be mined for biographical information on Jesus.

It can be mined for information on fourth to eighth century Christian splinter groups, though, and that's what I was trying to highlight with my earlier post.

As ever, Jesse
                              Last edited by Juvenal; 04-11-2014, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                                And that's where I stop taking Goodacre seriously, because the fragment's papyrus and inks are now dated with a terminus ante quem that removes Grondin from the picture entirely.
                                The papyrus was dated, but the ink wasn't.

Comment