Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Intolerance of the Left.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Intolerance of the Left.

The intolerant bigotry of the left is shown here in this recording.

warning comment section may have some language that is against campus decorum.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YdFlKaJv4g

This is the full recording of the meeting of the teachers assistant who got called in just because she showed her students a video with someone who had a different view then the university was trying to program into their students.

Mossrose i'm afraid the university is in Canada using the Candian law against this young teachers assistant. apparently in Canada you do not have the right to face your accusers either.

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
    The intolerant bigotry of the left is shown here in this recording.

warning comment section may have some language that is against campus decorum.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YdFlKaJv4g

This is the full recording of the meeting of the teachers assistant who got called in just because she showed her students a video with someone who had a different view then the university was trying to program into their students.

Mossrose i'm afraid the university is in Canada using the Candian law against this young teachers assistant. apparently in Canada you do not have the right to face your accusers either.
    This is no surprise to me, Michele. Canada is a bastion of liberal thought and no dissenting views are allowed in a great many places.

A recent case in point was a Catholic school in Alberta that got into trouble because of a presentation comparing abortion to the holocaust.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3369064/a...-to-holocaust/
    Last edited by mossrose; 11-21-2017, 06:09 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      This is no surprise to me, Michele. Canada is a bastion of liberal thought and no dissenting views are allowed in a great many places.

A recent case in point was a Catholic school in Alberta that got into trouble because of a presentation comparing abortion to the holocaust.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3369064/a...-to-holocaust/
      the TA in this case has been told she will have to submit her lesson's plans to the administration and that someone will sit in on her classes to make sure she does not go against the orthodox view.

I have only heard parts of this recorded meeting before but now that i've heard the whole thing this girl is not going to let them put her in the wrong when they are.

Also the newspeak they are using is showing that they think universities are not about letting studnest see all views bu tot indoctronate the students into holding one view only.
      Last edited by RumTumTugger; 11-22-2017, 10:53 AM.

Comment

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10186

From what I can see, this is a case of poor communication.

We live in a time where the "alt-right" and some pretty deplorable positions are coming to the fore. For schools to seek to make sure that these positions are contextualized seems reasonable to me. That they sometimes err in that process, and overcompensate, is (to me) understandable.

And I'd like to point out that an example is not a trend. In my opinion, we live in an age of extreme polarization. The right shuts down the left in multiple ways - and the left shuts down the right in just as many ways. Listening, and seeking common ground has become a lost art, and even a dirty word.

This very thread is part of that dynamic. It identifies an entire group ("the left") identifies them as "other," then paints all of them with a broad brush on the basis of one conversation and one situation. If you think representatives of the left are any more intolerant than representatives of the right, then perhaps a bias is showing...?

So perhaps many members of BOTH the right and left are being intolerant these days...and should look inward to see what they could change to begin the process of ending this dynamic.

My $.02
        Last edited by carpedm9587; 11-21-2017, 09:29 PM.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10186

From what I can see, this is a case of poor communication.

We live in a time where the "alt-right" and some pretty deplorable positions are coming to the fore. For schools to seek to make sure that these positions are contextualized seems reasonable to me. That they sometimes err in that process, and overcompensate, is (to me) understandable.

And I'd like to point out that an example is not a trend. In my opinion, we live in an age of extreme polarization. The right shuts down the left in multiple ways - and the left shuts down the right in just as many ways. Listening, and seeking common ground has become a lost art, and even a dirty word.

This very thread is part of that dynamic. It identifies an entire group ("the left") identifies them as "other," then paints all of them with a broad brush on the basis of one conversation and one situation. If you think representatives of the left are any more intolerant than representatives of the right, then perhaps a bias is showing...?

So perhaps many members of BOTH the right and left are being intolerant these days...and should look inward to see what they could change to begin the process of ending this dynamic.

My $.02
          not in this case Carpe what came accross was that you either teach the kids that only one view is valid or esle. although it looks like the professor who was her supervisor did some rethinking about how he handled it. https://www.wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2...-shepherd.html

Or he is just doing damage control now that someone let the light shine on something they hoped would remain hidden that there is no freedom of thought in the universities now. If you do not tow the line and indoctrinate the students into the view they want the students to hold you are a heretic. You decide.

P.S. ask yourself this if this TA had not made a recording of it and published that recording what do you think would have happened? The Light was shown in what they thought would remain in darkness.
          Last edited by RumTumTugger; 11-22-2017, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
            not in this case Carpe what came accross was that you either teach the kids that only one view is valid or esle. although it looks like the professor who was her supervisor did some rethinking about how he handled it. https://www.wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2...-shepherd.html

Or he is just doing damage control now that someone let the light shine on something they hoped would remain hidden that there is no freedom of thought in the universities now. If you do not tow the line and indoctrinate the students into the view they want the students to hold you are a heretic. You decide.

P.S. ask yourself this if this TA had not made a recording of it and published that recording what do you think would have happened? The Light was shown in what they thought would remain in darkness.
            I do not waste my time speculating on what "might have happened" when there is no way to know that. People on the right look at this and say, "no way would they have come forward without being exposed." People on the left will say, "given the chance, they would have done the right thing and apologized." No one can substantiate either claim, both sides will claim "they are right," so it's a pointless discussion. Not worth my time.

I know the "there is no freedom of thought on universities" is a popular meme right now, and there IS a kind of polarization happening on university campuses that reflects the polarization in the larger world. Right leaning universities tend to bring right-leaning speakers; left leaning universities tend to bring left-leaning speakers. Students are polarized and protesting speakers they don't agree with - because (I believe) - that is what they are seeing their elders do!

The fact is there are more left-leaning colleges than right-leaning colleges, so the effect is more clearly felt by the right. The fact is also that the speakers feeling limited are speakers like Ann Coulter, Milo Yiannopoulos, and others of their ilk who espouse unbelievably hateful things, so students come out and protest, and much of it is inappropriate creating a security issue, and the schools then need to deal with it. The speakers own responsibility for the vile things they spew. The students own responsibility for over-the-top protests. There are also multiple instances of these speakers intentionally screwing up visitation plans and, when those plans fall apart, screaming "bias."

But I have NEVER heard of speakers like Colin Powell, Dick Cheney, Matt Drudge, John McCain, and many others being denied access to a college campus. Yes, they have been protested - but these are also respectful, and respected, members of the right.

Personally, I think the protests are taking the wrong form. What many of these ultra-right wing pundits want is attention - so they thrive on the discord and thrive on the security issues. If I were a college student, I would organize my peers to buy up all of the tickets to the speaker - and then simply not show up, leaving them with an empty theater. Or show up with my iPhone and earbuds and spend the session occupying the chair and listening to my favorite podcasts, denying them the attention they thrive on. People like Coulter, Yiannopolous, Beck, Limbaugh, and Jones are not contributing to the national discourse - they are polarizing agents who thrive on driving us apart. The left have their own list (Franken used to be on that last for me), but they are nowhere near as vociferous as these voices.

Intolerance has become the norm on BOTH sides of the political spectrum - and our children are learning it from us. If they do not unlearn it, I shudder to think what our world will be like when they become the leaders.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

can you summarize it? it's 42 minutes long.

Comment

I think this is the Reader's Digest version.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5zjckTqh730

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  can you summarize it? it's 42 minutes long.
                  this is a recording done in a tribunal type meeting a TA was forced to go through after she showed a clip from a video debate between Jordan Peterson and someone else about a law Canada put in place to force people to use the pronouns that folks want to be called to her class. Just because she did not tell her students what to think but was trying to teach them how to think.(which comes out in the video numouse times.) if you look at time mark 6:20 of the video Mossrose linked you will find her supervisor saying just that it was like she ran a video of a Hitler speech.

This whole incident proved Peterson right the Canadian law would be used to stifle free speech and discussions.

Comment