Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Apologetics of Confrontation and Anger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Ok - I just cannot resist. The teacher in me is exploding....

"Your" is the possessive form of "you." I believe you were looking for the contraction, "you're" - short for "you are."

Yes...

Yes...

He shoots - he scores... :swish:

We REALLY need a basketball emoji....
    nazi.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Only if you live in Texas!

I'm a state-by-state kinda guy
      You are being summoned.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...after-his-name
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        I think you are really Cow Poke's soulmate.

Grammar Nazis, both!
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

If you read the interactions between Jesus and the Pharisees, he was not nice to them at all. He routinely ripped them a new one.

Pit of vipers, white washed tombs, sons of the devil, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            If you read the interactions between Jesus and the Pharisees, he was not nice to them at all. He routinely ripped them a new one.

Yes, he did. One thing I share in common with Jesus of Nazareth is my teaching roots. Jesus is claimed to have been a rabbi, a claim which history seems to support. I find the approach described above to be at odds with being a teacher - and especially one teaching that the law of love is supreme, and to turn the other cheek when struck, and to forego casting the first stone unless you are blameless.

Hypocricy can be hauled out into the light, without further polarizing the situation by attacking the attacker. I simply disagree with Jesus of Nazareth on this one. The approach is self-defeating, further reducing the possibility (however slim) that the message will be heard.

From my personal philosophy, the response (paraphrasing): "Show me a coin. Who's face is this? Then give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to god what is God's" is powerful - masterful.

The response (again, paraphrasing): "Hypocrits! Show me a coin. Who's face is this? Then give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to god what is God's" is weaker, and it is almost certain that the only ones who will hear the message is those who are already open to it. Those who are attacking will have shut down before the second word is uttered.

That's me - based on many years of experience. Based on the degree to which our nation and the world is polarizing, it is clearly a minority view. But I have to wonder, especially here, how many recognize a grain of truth - somewhere - deep down...
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

As this is now a 'Grammar Nazis' tread, I'll point out that a "white washed tomb" and a "whitewashed tomb" are different things.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Yes, he did. One thing I share in common with Jesus of Nazareth is my teaching roots. Jesus is claimed to have been a rabbi, a claim which history seems to support. I find the approach described above to be at odds with being a teacher - and especially one teaching that the law of love is supreme, and to turn the other cheek when struck, and to forego casting the first stone unless you are blameless.

Hypocricy can be hauled out into the light, without further polarizing the situation by attacking the attacker. I simply disagree with Jesus of Nazareth on this one. The approach is self-defeating, further reducing the possibility (however slim) that the message will be heard.

From my personal philosophy, the response (paraphrasing): "Show me a coin. Who's face is this? Then give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to god what is God's" is powerful - masterful.

The response (again, paraphrasing): "Hypocrits! Show me a coin. Who's face is this? Then give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to god what is God's" is weaker, and it is almost certain that the only ones who will hear the message is those who are already open to it. Those who are attacking will have shut down before the second word is uttered.

That's me - based on many years of experience. Based on the degree to which our nation and the world is polarizing, it is clearly a minority view. But I have to wonder, especially here, how many recognize a grain of truth - somewhere - deep down...
                I think Jesus used insults against the Pharisees to shock them. They were the elite of society. They went around making pious sounding pronouncements and expected people to oooh and ahhh in response. Jesus told them that they were hypocrites who pretended to be pious but instead were subjecting people to their made up laws while they did what they wanted. They were the politicians of their time. The sleaseball congressmen who told people to respect women while they groped them in the elevator so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  As this is now a 'Grammar Nazis' tread, I'll point out that a "white washed tomb" and a "whitewashed tomb" are different things.
                  what about white-washed tombs?

Comment

Just don't "tread" on me!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As a teacher, surely you know that it's a waste of time trying to teach some-one who doesn't think they have anything to learn?

My understanding of the NT Pharisees is that they were akin to modern-day televangelists and YEC/ID advocates - interested only in fleecing the rubes and not caring a whit for truth or honesty. Jesus's approach wouldn't be aimed at them, or even at their die-hard brainwashed followers, but at those undecided people who might be salvageable.

I've always thought it a way to dodge the question.
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

As a teacher, surely you know that it's a waste of time trying to teach some-one who doesn't think they have anything to learn?
                        Often, the lesson is not for those who refuse to learn, but for those standing around.

My understanding of the NT Pharisees is that they were akin to modern-day televangelists and YEC/ID advocates - interested only in fleecing the rubes and not caring a whit for truth or honesty.
                        I think it's a little unfair to lump all YEC/ID advocates in with the televangelists. I think some of them sincerely believe in their message.

Jesus's approach wouldn't be aimed at them, or even at their die-hard brainwashed followers, but at those undecided people who might be salvageable.

I've always thought it a way to dodge the question.
                        When you know the question is an intended trap, why play along? Why not redirect?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think it's a little unfair to lump all YEC/ID advocates in with the televangelists. I think some of them sincerely believe in their message.
                          Agreed. Most YECs and ID supporters are decent, honest people.

Then there are folks like Ken Ham who even other YECs who have had dealings with have accused him of "deceptive conduct," "ungodly" behavior and changing AnswersinGenesis from a ministry into a fund-raising machine.

Oh. And I doubt that all televangelists are greedy scammers.
                          Last edited by rogue06; 11-23-2017, 08:23 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ok - I just cannot resist. The teacher in me is exploding....

"Your" is the possessive form of "you." I believe you were looking for the contraction, "you're" - short for "you are."

Yes...

Yes...

He shoots - he scores... :swish:

We REALLY need a basketball emoji....
                            I usually don't get that wrong teach...
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              I usually don't get that wrong teach...
                              This is true.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Agreed. Most YECs and ID supporters are decent, honest people.

Then there are folks like Ken Ham who even other YECs who have had dealings with have accused him of "deceptive conduct," "ungodly" behavior and changing AnswersinGenesis from a ministry into a fund-raising machine.

Oh. And I doubt that all televangelists are greedy scammers.
                                Yeah, that was a pretty broad brush.

Comment