Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apologetics of Confrontation and Anger

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    My experience has been different. I will agree that most people in most Western countries dislike the aggressive approach, but certainly not all. I know that I have personally rethought some things when given a harsh answer, although admittedly not always. It really depends on the person, the situation, and other stuff.

The "moral fabric" seems to be increasingly different between the left and right as time goes on. While there is some common ground, it is a lot less than it used to be. As people move further and further from that common basis, which in the USA, and many other Western countries used to be grounded in Christianity, politics gets more and more polarized. I see it continuing down this path for a long time to come barring a miracle.
    I have to disagree. The common fabric we share is extensive. I doubt many people living in the U.S. would argue with any of the following:

1) People should not randomly kill one another
    2) People should have the right to personal property
    3) Everyone has the right to feel safe
    4) We should not turn our back on someone who needs our help
    5) No one has the right to enslave another person
    6) Our government should represent the will of the people
    7) Children should be protected from harm and nurtured

I could keep going, and the list would be long. Our differences are not really about our core values - they are about how those values are expressed in everyday life. So we all believe we have the right to feel safe, but some feel that safety would be enhanced by more guns, and some think the problem is too many guns of the wrong type. Then there are the cases where the situation pits one value against another. Abortion, for example, pits 1) against 5), creating a deep divide: if you come down on the side of 1), you are approving 5). If you come down on the side of 5), you are approving 1).

These are the places where our differences come to the fore - but instead of working to find common ground and solving the problem, we live in an age where each side entrenches, polarizes, and insists it has to be "their way."

And I have to say that, while this country has a very high percentage of Christians, our government was formed specifically on the principle of religious freedom - that each person should have the freedom to worship (or not) as they saw fit. Our nation's demographics are shifting. Christianity is shrinking. Atheism, Judaism, Islam, and other worldviews are on the rise. It is inevitable that they are going to want the world to encompass their faiths as well. As that shift occurs, it is natural that some Christians will feel they are "losing something," because they are. The world they once dominated is shifting to a different world. It is natural to want to preserve things "the way they were." The familiar is comfortable - the unknown is scary.

But the change is going to happen. Just as globalism is going to happen. Our retreat into nationalism is inevitably temporary. With the ability to travel across the planet in a matter of hours, an Internet and phone system that span the globe, an economic world that increasingly binds countries to one another, and the ability to know what is happening on the other side of the planet in a matter of seconds or minutes, it is inevitable that borders will become more permeable, businesses and finances will flow with increasing freedom, and people will bring with them their cultures, beliefs, and ideas. Fighting against it is merely an exercise in fighting the tide. If a country truly becomes successful in closing itself off in the spirit of "nationalism," what will happen is what happened to North Korea when it made that decision. Today, North Korea is a developing country - while South Korea is a booming economy. Look at a photograph from space taken at night: South Korea is lit up like a Christmas Tree, and North Korea is largely dark. North Korea's people are hungry and brainwashed by their government. South Korea is thriving. THERE is an object lesson on nationalism versus globalism.

Anyway - that was a bit of a tangent. Change happens. Adjusting to change is difficult. The question for all of us, I think, is how do we live in the new reality, and preserve who we each are?
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 11-22-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    But if the goal of apologetics is to explain the faith, and convey the message of Christ risen, does a confrontational and angry apologetic EVER successfully convey the spirit of Christ?
    A major factor is the potential receptiveness of the person being apologeticalized.

When an atheist (of the variety we see here on T-web) comes to this Christian owned and operated website, they're generally not coming for fellowship, or to learn about Jesus. They are often in full on attack mode, here to do battle.

When I encounter one like you, with whom discourse is actually possible, I enjoy the interaction.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

3. Amen Cerebrum123, 37818 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    There is a button on the bottom of pist that says amen.
    Of course, when one is pist, they're not likely to amen.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A major factor is the potential receptiveness of the person being apologeticalized.

When an atheist (of the variety we see here on T-web) comes to this Christian owned and operated website, they're generally not coming for fellowship, or to learn about Jesus. They are often in full on attack mode, here to do battle.

When I encounter one like you, with whom discourse is actually possible, I enjoy the interaction.
    Compliment received - and appreciated. I used to be an atheist [bad word], but I found something interesting about [bad word] - they tend to smell really, really, bad.

(I sincerely hope I did not just violate any terms of service...)
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-22-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Compliment received - and appreciated. I used to be an atheist [hiney bo], but I found something interesting about [hiney bos] - they tend to smell really, really, bad.

(I sincerely hope I did not just violate any terms of service...)
    Veiled profanity is, indeed, a violation of the ToS. If you can't edit that out, I'll be happy to do it for you.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-22-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Veiled profanity is, indeed, a violation of the ToS. If you can't edit that out, I'll be happy to do it for you.
    Sorry about that. Yes - please edit and replace the "veil" with whatever you deem appropriate. Perhaps "atheist backside?"

Also don't forget you'll need to edit the same phrase in your reply...

9. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

They report the pist instead. Right?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

11. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Sorry about that. Yes - please edit and replace the "veil" with whatever you deem appropriate. Perhaps "atheist backside?"

Also don't forget you'll need to edit the same phrase in your reply...
    I got really creative in the reply.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    They report the pist instead. Right?

Yeah, but all seriousness aside, I never did like that word.