Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Church of Sweden to Neuter God?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    being Catholic, I wouldn't accept anything other than "In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit." (or equi. translations), its not that they've forbidden the traditional forms. Nor is there any directive to avoid such language in place.
    It says for the introduction to worship, not the formula for baptism. I wouldn't object to "in the name of the triune God" for baptism, but it would cause ecumenical problems. So I'd stick with the usual formula. We don't have any evidence they're changing baptism.

Comment

Originally posted by hedrick View Post
      It says for the introduction to worship, not the formula for baptism. I wouldn't object to "in the name of the triune God" for baptism, but it would cause ecumenical problems. So I'd stick with the usual formula. We don't have any evidence they're changing baptism.
      You are correct.

Comment

*** sneaks into TheologyWeb ***

This is sorta fake news. What they did was add a third version of the baptismal prayer. While personally, and being Catholic, I wouldn't accept anything other than "In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit." (or equi. translations), its not that they've forbidden the traditional forms. Nor is there any directive to avoid such language in place.

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/svenska...p-book-2298124

*** sneaks out again ***
        What progs do is inch by inch.

"We just want equal rights!" -> "Civil union!!" -> "Marriage!!!" -> "Bake my cake bigots!!!!!!"

Same ol', same ol'. Of course, at all points "why do you say there is slippery slope!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!"

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Another great story ruined by an eyewitness!
        Warning sign of things to come!!
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwimac View Post
          God is a Spirit, a spirit does not have gender. The Bible refers to God as Father, being like an expectant mother, an eagle with out-stretched wings. Jesus had gender as he was human but God, the parent of us all is not human and thus has no gender.
          I thought you liberals believe that sex and gender are different and that gender is what you want to be. It's in your mind. So if God refers to himself as "he" and "father" then he has a gender, correct?

Comment

This is sorta fake news. What they did was add a third version of the baptismal prayer. While personally, and being Catholic, I wouldn't accept anything other than "In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit." (or equi. translations), its not that they've forbidden the traditional forms. Nor is there any directive to avoid such language in place.

*** sneaks out again ***
            Get back here!

We miss you....
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

*** sneaks out again ***
              *** trips Leonhard as he tries to leave ***
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Get back here!
                We miss you....
                Nah.

I miss you guys. But I don't miss this forum. I miss what it used to mean to me, but not what it's become post Trump.

The dialogue has become a bit one-sided, and I'm tired of having to re-apply my custom javascript filters that remove posts from trolls and cranks. Once Shunya, seer, Mountain Man and Darth Ex have been muted, there's hardly anyone talking here.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  *** trips Leonhard as he tries to leave ***
                  Nice try.

Comment

Nah.

I miss you guys. But I don't miss this forum. I miss what it used to mean to me, but not what it's become post Trump.

The dialogue has become a bit one-sided, and I'm tired of having to re-apply my custom javascript filters that remove posts from trolls and cranks. Once Shunya, seer, Mountain Man and Darth Ex have been muted, there's hardly anyone talking here.
                    Cause you muted me long ago, right?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Cause you muted me long ago, right?
                      I'd never mute you. As much of a hot head as I was during the discussions about police shootings, I respect you. :D

And way to use pity to get me to reply. I won't participate in other threads, or any discussion of sorts though. I might start one thread in the prayer sub-forum about a particular thing though.

Another explanation for my absence is more simple. God has graced me with a full-time job. When I come home I'm tired. :)
                      Last edited by Leonhard; 11-30-2017, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Nah.

I was wondering where you went. Too bad, I generally thought your posts were good.

Comment

Church of Sweden to stop clergy calling God 'he' or 'the Lord' in bid to crack down on gendered language

he Church of Sweden is urging its clergy to use gender-neutral language when referring to the supreme deity, refraining from using terms like "Lord" and "He" in favor of the less specific "God."

The move is one of several taken by the national Evangelical Lutheran church in updating a 31-year-old handbook setting out how services should be conducted in terms of language, liturgy, hymns and other aspects.
                          Crafting a god more appropriate for the times(?).
                          For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
                            I hear he comes with Blu-ray and a built in lounge chair....

Maybe we should wait to build God until after we can build something simpler - like the universe.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              I hear he comes with Blu-ray and a built in lounge chair....

Maybe we should wait to build God until after we can build something simpler - like the universe.
                              True.

However, one of man's favorite hobbies is to build a god in the image that man wants him to have.

There is nothing new under the sun.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Church of Sweden to stop clergy calling God 'he' or 'the Lord' in bid to crack down on gendered language

he Church of Sweden is urging its clergy to use gender-neutral language when referring to the supreme deity, refraining from using terms like "Lord" and "He" in favor of the less specific "God."

The move is one of several taken by the national Evangelical Lutheran church in updating a 31-year-old handbook setting out how services should be conducted in terms of language, liturgy, hymns and other aspects.
                                Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
                                Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                                True.

However, one of man's favorite hobbies is to build a god in the image that man wants him to have.

There is nothing new under the sun.
                                One common example is conceiving of a love-only god, which very easily leads to the acceptance of universalism: the view that all persons will (or must) eventually be reconciled to God. (Typically this is conceived as being accomplished via some kind of post-mortem repentance.)
                                For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment