Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Call for Consistency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    In October, Moore was interviewed by Garrette Haake and was asked if he stood by his position. He referred Haake to his 2006 article and stood by his position - so it has not changed.

But if we give the right the benefit of the doubt - do you believe Moore's position is inappropriate and inconsistent with Aritcle VI?
    Broadly speaking, if a potential jurist, legislator, etc., has overtly advocated for theocracy or theonomy, whether Islamic, "Christian," or whatever, that should *at least* be held against the candidate, if not directly precluding him or her from holding office.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

There is no way the court can move and not sacrifice a basic human right guaranteed in the Constitution
      Don't be idiot. You know laws to make parents take care of children of theirs is not slavery.

"But the libs assume unborn are not children, so they think it's slavery!!!!"

Who cares. You know it's not!
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        Broadly speaking, if a potential jurist, legislator, etc., has overtly advocated for theocracy or theonomy... if not directly precluding him or her from holding office.
        Sounds like going against free exercise of religion of his. Sad!!!

Comment

I'm not sure any response to this is helpful, so, opinion duly noted.
          Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          Broadly speaking, if a potential jurist, legislator, etc., has overtly advocated for theocracy or theonomy, whether Islamic, "Christian," or whatever, that should *at least* be held against the candidate, if not directly precluding him or her from holding office.
          What the electorate chooses is what the electorate chooses. The issue at hand is whether a religious test can be applied to seat an elected representative. Article VI is clear on this - it is not ambiguous in the least - the answer is "no."
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• carpedm:

Let's try this slowly, and no, no running away this time!

1) Do you believe unborn is human life from conception? Yes you do!

2) Do you believe mother has duty to bring unborn child to birth? Now, no 'but leftists think she doesn't!!!' distraction. What do you believe?

3) So if mother has duty, is government enforcing duty of hers slavery? Again, no distraction, also running away!

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
              carpedm:

Let's try this slowly, and no, no running away this time!
              We've been through this, but I'm willing to clarify if that will help. As for running away, well... we'll see...

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
              1) Do you believe unborn is human life from conception? Yes you do!
              From the moment of conception in an environment where it can develop to life. I do not consider a fertized ovum in a petrie dish a human life, nor do I consider a fertized ovum in a fallopian tube (i.e., ectopic pregancy) a human life because it is not in an environment where it can become human.

2) Do you believe mother has duty to bring unborn child to birth? Now, no 'but leftists think she doesn't!!!' distraction. What do you believe?
              I do believe that a life, in a context where it can grow to life, should be permitted to grow to life.

3) So if mother has duty, is government enforcing duty of hers slavery? Again, no distraction, also running away!
              Pregnancy is two interlinked lives - the child, and the woman. They cannot be unlinked until the child is capable of surviving outside the womb. This creates a complex dynamic. If you permit the woman to terminate the pregnancy, you are killing a child. If you force the woman to carry the child to term when she does not wish to, you are essentially denying the woman sovereignty over their own body - which is essentially the definition of slavery. The scenario pits two moral evils (and two things not permitted by the Constitution) against one another.

There is only one solution to such a quandary: you are familiar with it if you ever saw the old movie "war games." When the machine realizes the futility of tic-tac-toe, which cannot be won once both players know the rules, it observes that the only way to win is not to play. That is the case here: the only way to avoid BOTH moral evils is to create an environment where unwanted pregnancies are rare, and women have viable, attractive alternatives to early termination. That will not eliminate all abortions - but then neither will a law. Enact a law and rich women will travel to foreign countries to get their abortions and poor women will tap the black market of such practices that will inevitably result.

My preference is to reduce the death - by the best means possible. Clearly the ongoing war between the two sides has not achieved that - and the right is losing that war. So why not try a different approach and see if it can improve the situation?
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

What the electorate chooses is what the electorate chooses. The issue at hand is whether a religious test can be applied to seat an elected representative. Article VI is clear on this - it is not ambiguous in the least - the answer is "no."
                It may be time for further amendments.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

As for running away, well... we'll see...
                  Sounds like a 'yes!!!!'

I do believe that a life, in a context where it can grow to life, should be permitted to grow to life.
                  What about duty? Does mother has duty?

Pregnancy is two interlinked lives - the child, and the woman. They cannot be unlinked until the child is capable of surviving outside the womb. This creates a complex dynamic. If you permit the woman to terminate the pregnancy, you are killing a child. If you force the woman to carry the child to term when she does not wish to, you are essentially denying the woman sovereignty over their own body - which is essentially the definition of slavery.
                  Is child support law slavery?
                  Is law that parents cannot abandon young children slavery?

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                    It may be time for further amendments.
                    "Theocracy, also theonomy, is bad because it would limit religious freedom!!!!

To stop that we need to limit religious freedom of theocrats, also theonomists!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      I have no pitchforks. But how do you compromise on abortions?
                      Magic.

Comment

That much I know (that you object to these - not that you are a bigot ). For two of those positions, I am obviously glad of the way things have turned out and believe the courts acted in a perfectly appropriate (and overdue) manner. The third, abortion, is a tangled knot. There is no way the court can move and not sacrifice a basic human right guaranteed in the Constitution. That is why I think it is so important we look for other solutions than legal ones. Roe vs. Wade is a trajedy - but reversing Roe vs. Wade is (to me) likewise a tragedy.

Perhaps, someday, people will put down their pitchforks and work to a solution together, one that values both the right to life and the right to sovereignty over self. Until then, I fear the carnage will simply continue, as I have noted in another discussion.
                        The underlined is false, and because it equates pregnancy with slavery*. A woman who willingly has sex knows of the consequences greater than 90% of the time. Not only that, but the actions of an individual can lead to their rights being revoked. Crimes revoke their right to liberty, and/or property. As well as potentially revoking their right to life if the crime is severe enough, like murder.

In the case of rape, it's a simple matter of two wrongs don't make a right. If they really can't take care of the child past childbirth, then the option of adoption is there.

*Which is itself an insane notion. Comparing the view that abortion is murder, to the idea that making it so a mother has to carry her child to term is slavery is absurd to the highest degree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          Compromise itself is not a problem the problem is what is being compromised.

First when the mothers life is in serious danger: Most doctors will tell you that this is a virtually non problem. Such cases are all but non existent.
                          Are you a doctor? If not, have you asked one?

Nearly 1000 US women die each year as a result of complications during pregnancy or childbirth. This is not "all but non existent".
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            Are you a doctor? If not, have you asked one?

Nearly 1000 US women die each year as a result of complications during pregnancy or childbirth. This is not "all but non existent".
                            Statistically speaking it is. There are roughly 4,000,000 children born a year, meaning that the 1000 women who die represent (assuming I did my math right) about 0.025% of the total number of births.
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 11-27-2017, 08:57 AM.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man, quoting the federalist papers
                              In a renowned letter to Alexander Pope, Lord Bolingbroke wrote the following words which were to become the basis for Jefferson’s opening paragraph of the Declaration of Independence:

“You will find that it is the modest, not the presumptuous enquirer, who makes a real, and safe progress in the discovery of divine truths. One follows nature, and nature’s God; that is, he follows God in his works, and in his word.”
                              Originally posted by Mountain man, last week
                              Why did you quote me and then put a period where I had a comma?
                              How appropriate for this thread that you apply different rules for those on your team than you do for others.
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                How appropriate for this thread that you apply different rules for those on your team than you do for others.

Here's the post you're referring to:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...005#post493005

I copied and pasted directly from the source without altering anything. Here's the original source for comparison:

http://thefederalistpapers.org/curre...of-natures-god

So I have no idea what you're talking about.
                                Last edited by Mountain Man; 11-27-2017, 09:24 AM.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment