Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christmas and Advent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cow Poke, may I ask which denomination (if any) you presently identify or associate with?
    For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
      Cow Poke, may I ask which denomination (if any) you presently identify or associate with?
      Southern Baptist. And I'm learning that a number of my colleagues have been having Advent services in their Baptist churches!

Actually have done a lot of research on this of late, and it's interesting - the history of Advent.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I started to answer, "yes, you may".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I started to answer, "yes, you may".
          The closest Baptist denomination to my present beliefs (but not close enough) would likely be the Free Will Baptists. Thank you for your response.
          For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

The closest Baptist denomination to my present beliefs (but not close enough) would likely be the Free Will Baptists. Thank you for your response.
            Since the SBC is not officially Reformed, there are Free Will Southern Baptists (I was one, before I bolted for Orthodoxy).
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Hi Cow Poke,

Thanks for starting this thread. I appreciate how it got me thinking more about the season.

On a deeper level, I appreciate how important having God incarnate as a man really is. Yes, God gave His Son to the world. Its a more intimate gift. Having Him in the world, having Him incarnate opens up a more the possibility of a more personal relationship with God. Before the Incarnation, there is this distance between God and man that could never be bridged. Certainly, man could not reach up to God. God came down and dwelt with us. We should never lose the wonder and gratitude for this. This year, I really appreciate how Advent & Christmas moved the restoration so far along to, of course, complete in the Crucifixion event.

Christmas is not about gifts. Christmas is about relationship. First between man and God and then when that relationship is restored, between men.

Merry Christmas, everyone! ✝
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment