Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas and Advent

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Off topic but I always appreciate a church that does a strong Lenten preparation. Easter is the most important Christian holyday and should be "oh, by the way, next Sunday is Easter."
    Good point.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    We used to celebrate it in the Baptist church we were attending.

There are several different ways to do it. We had a round candle holder that held 4 candles, surrounded by greenery, and a separate candle in the centre. The first Sunday a family would come up and light one of the candles and give a reading on the meaning of that candle. The next Sunday another family would light the first candle and the second one, and so on for the 4 Sundays.

On Christmas Day or Christmas Eve, depending on when a service was held, the 4 candles were lit, as well as the centre candle, the Christ Child candle, to indicate that Christ had been born.

The candles are usually 3 purple and 1 pink one, and then the Christ Child candle is white. The candles represent different things, depending on the liturgy used, I guess.

There are reasons for the different colours that I can't remember.

There's lots of info online. Most of it very Catholic. Here's what the advent wreath looks like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent_wreath

We never minded the procedure, but it didn't mean that much to us.
    The church we attend now is Southern Baptist, and this is what we do for Advent. No other Baptist church I've attended has done anything for Advent.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Advent is, obviously, the opening act of the Incarnation. I think Christians tend to miss the significance and wonder of God coming close - so close that He incarnates as a man. One point I would emphasis is God coming close.

Of course, the Incarnation is necessary so the Crucifixion, Death, Burial, and Resurrection of Christ Jesus may occur. Reflecting on Advent should eventually led to thinking on Salvation and how much God has done for us.

My Advent Hymn is "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel." It summarizes the season for me.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

My time to be on TWeb is unpredictable. It may take a few days for me to see your post and respond.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Advent is, obviously, the opening act of the Incarnation.
    I dunno - that's arguably the Annunciation (though Orthodox hymnwriters have a tendency to see it even further back, in the conception of Mary).
    My Advent Hymn is "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel." It summarizes the season for me.
    I've always loved that one.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

5. Amen Thoughtful Monk amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Evangelical
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In my churches (I pastor two now!), we use the Advent candles - it's a good way to visualize, week by week, the progress toward the brightness of Christmas (and is especially fitting with a candlelight Christmas Eve service on top of it all).

In addition, I generally select hymns that are fitting to the season. In the past couple years, I was very strict on reserving Christmas hymns until after the conclusion of Advent, and sticking with Advent hymns ("Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus," "O Come, O Come Emmanuel," "Light of Those Whose Dreary Dwelling," etc.) and others fitting the material of the day. This year, because we're doing Advent a little differently, there'll be plenty Christmas music during the Advent season.

And, of course, each year we have a sermon series fitting Advent, to mark it off from the remainder of the church year. In 2014, I was preaching through Isaiah at the time and arranged it so that Advent covered Isaiah 8-12 (*, *, *). In 2015, I surveyed narratives of significant biblical nativities before Christ (Cain, Abel, Seth, Noah, Isaac, Moses, Samuel, John the Baptist) with an eye toward how they point forward to the Nativity of Christ. In 2016, I organized an Advent series around the biography of St. Nicholas of Myra (*, *, *, *) and the lessons he teaches us about how to appropriately serve Jesus. This year, I'm preparing a longer series that will cover Advent, Christmas, and most of Epiphanytide by focusing in on various figures in the Gospel nativity accounts (Mary, Joseph, angels, shepherds, prophets, wise men, and Herod). Next year... eh, I've got some ideas rattling around.
    "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

7. Amen Cow Poke, ke7ejx amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Cow Poke, may I ask which denomination (if any) you presently identify or associate with?
    ‘To say that God deliberately brings about a sinful human race so that he may [unconditionally] elect some to salvation, and then deliberately sends the nonelect to hell so that his saving gace may appear all the more glorious, is the opposite of grace.’
    —Jack W. Cottrell, ‘Responses to Robert L. Reymond’, in Chad Owen Brand (ed.), Perspectives on Election: Five Views (Nashville, TN: B&H Academic, 2006), p. 202, emphasis in original

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Remonstrant View Post
    Cow Poke, may I ask which denomination (if any) you presently identify or associate with?
    Southern Baptist. And I'm learning that a number of my colleagues have been having Advent services in their Baptist churches!

Actually have done a lot of research on this of late, and it's interesting - the history of Advent.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I started to answer, "yes, you may".

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I started to answer, "yes, you may".
    The closest Baptist denomination to my present beliefs (but not close enough) would likely be the Free Will Baptists. Thank you for your response.
    ‘To say that God deliberately brings about a sinful human race so that he may [unconditionally] elect some to salvation, and then deliberately sends the nonelect to hell so that his saving gace may appear all the more glorious, is the opposite of grace.’
    —Jack W. Cottrell, ‘Responses to Robert L. Reymond’, in Chad Owen Brand (ed.), Perspectives on Election: Five Views (Nashville, TN: B&H Academic, 2006), p. 202, emphasis in original

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The closest Baptist denomination to my present beliefs (but not close enough) would likely be the Free Will Baptists. Thank you for your response.
    Since the SBC is not officially Reformed, there are Free Will Southern Baptists (I was one, before I bolted for Orthodoxy).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist