Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How do you pronounce Yeshua?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you pronounce Yeshua?

Thank you.

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post

Thank you.
    Yes like the word 'yes' - 'hua' like 'wha' in what.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I've always heard it more like "yeah" "shoe" "uh", even in Israel.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I've always heard it more like "yeah" "shoe" "uh", even in Israel.
        I have always pronounced it yea shoe' ah. or yea' shoe ah.

I'm not sure the accent is on the first or second syllable.

Comment

I have always pronounced it yea shoe' ah. or yea' shoe ah.

I'm not sure the accent is on the first or second syllable.
          Generally, the accent would be on the first syllable, though I tend to say it with the accent on the middle - don't know why.

YEAH shoe uh
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Y'hoshua says the emphasis is supposed to be on the middle syllable ('shoe').

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

https://forvo.com/word/he/%D7%99%D6%...7%A2%D6%B7/#he thewriteranon has it, so 'twould seem. click the side on arrow next to "Pronunciation by Naomika"
              Last edited by tabibito; 11-26-2017, 10:53 AM.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                https://forvo.com/word/he/%D7%99%D6%...7%A2%D6%B7/#he thewriteranon has it, so 'twould seem. click the side on arrow next to "Pronunciation by Naomika"
                You're mistaken, "Y'hoshua" and "Yeshua" are two, related, but different names (the later being a shortened version of the former, but a name in it's own right), but if you want to hear how it's pronounced for yourselves, listen to the NT in modern Hebrew here: http://listen.bible.is/HBRHMT/Matt/1/D

It should open directly to Matthew chapter 1, the first line you will hear is transliterated as follows: "Sefer hayuchasin shel Yeshua HaMashiach Ben-David Ben-Avraham" ("The book of the genealogy of Yeshua the Messiah son of David son of Avraham")

The correct pronunciation of "Yeshua" is with the emphasis on the middle syllable, "yeSHUa"
                אָמַר לוֹ יֵשׁוּעַ: אֲנִי הַדֶּרֶךְ וְהָאֱמֶת וְהַחַיִּים. אֵין אִישׁ בָּא אֶל הָאָב אֶלָּא דַּרְכִּי
                "Yeshua said, 'I AM the Way — and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except through me'" - Yochanan 14:6
                כֻּלָּ֨נוּ֙ כַּצֹּ֣אן תָּעִ֔ינוּ אִ֥ישׁ לְדַרְכֹּ֖ו פָּנִ֑ינוּ וַֽיהוָה֙ הִפְגִּ֣יעַ בֹּ֔ו אֵ֖ת עֲוֹ֥ן כֻּלָּֽנוּ
                "We all, like sheep, went astray; we turned, each one, to his own way; yet HASHEM laid on him the guilt of all of us" - Yesha'yahu 53:6

Comment

Yehoshua, you are correct - the "ho" is absent in that reading: Y'shua it is. (with a suppressed but still present "yi")
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Y'hoshua View Post
                    The correct pronunciation of "Yeshua" is with the emphasis on the middle syllable, "yeSHUa"
                    So, I'm mispronouncing it correctly accidentally on purpose!

Comment

So, I'm mispronouncing it correctly accidentally on purpose!
                      I have a friend to teaches Hebrew at the graduate level.

He said Yeshua should be pronounced:

Yeh-SHOO-ah

and that Yeshua (Joshua) is short for Yehoshua (Joshua) in the same way that Yoshia (Josiah) is short for Yehoshia (Josiah) and Yoav (Joab) is short for Yehoav (Jehoab).

Comment

Yeh-SHOO-ah

and that Yeshua (Joshua) is short for Yehoshua (Joshua) in the same way that Yoshia (Josiah) is short for Yehoshia (Josiah) and Yoav (Joab) is short for Yehoav (Jehoab).
                        I don't know about all that, but I've always pronounced it 'ya SHOO uh', then I Googled around a bit, and found that it's often said (maybe mostly said, in my samples) as "YESH oo uh"

I'll stay with "Ya SHOO uh".

Comment

Yeh-SHOO-ah

Not sure where you got your information on the name Josiah, but that's not accurate. For Josiah it would be redundant to have the divine name twice in the theophoric name. The proper transliteration of "Josiah" in Hebrew is "Yoshiyahu" יֹאשִׁיָהוּ, there are no shorter and longer forms of the name nor do names such as "Yoshia" and "Yehoshia" exist in Hebrew. There are occurrences of "Yeho'av" in inscriptions, but all the literary (Biblical) occurrences are "Yo'av" יוֹאָב
                          אָמַר לוֹ יֵשׁוּעַ: אֲנִי הַדֶּרֶךְ וְהָאֱמֶת וְהַחַיִּים. אֵין אִישׁ בָּא אֶל הָאָב אֶלָּא דַּרְכִּי
                          "Yeshua said, 'I AM the Way — and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except through me'" - Yochanan 14:6
                          כֻּלָּ֨נוּ֙ כַּצֹּ֣אן תָּעִ֔ינוּ אִ֥ישׁ לְדַרְכֹּ֖ו פָּנִ֑ינוּ וַֽיהוָה֙ הִפְגִּ֣יעַ בֹּ֔ו אֵ֖ת עֲוֹ֥ן כֻּלָּֽנוּ
                          "We all, like sheep, went astray; we turned, each one, to his own way; yet HASHEM laid on him the guilt of all of us" - Yesha'yahu 53:6

Comment

I don't know about all that, but I've always pronounced it 'ya SHOO uh', then I Googled around a bit, and found that it's often said (maybe mostly said, in my samples) as "YESH oo uh"

I'll stay with "Ya SHOO uh".
                            In my experience, most people who pronounce it with the emphasis on the first syllable don't actually know Hebrew or haven't heard native Hebrew speakers say it. They usually pronounce it by reading it with the syllabic emphasis that English gives the name "Joshua". If you actually listen to native Hebrew speakers say it for any given amount of time, you'll all hear them pronounce it with the emphasis on the middle syllable

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X