Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you pronounce Yeshua?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, I'm mispronouncing it correctly accidentally on purpose!
    I have a friend to teaches Hebrew at the graduate level.

He said Yeshua should be pronounced:

Yeh-SHOO-ah

and that Yeshua (Joshua) is short for Yehoshua (Joshua) in the same way that Yoshia (Josiah) is short for Yehoshia (Josiah) and Yoav (Joab) is short for Yehoav (Jehoab).

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post

Yeh-SHOO-ah

and that Yeshua (Joshua) is short for Yehoshua (Joshua) in the same way that Yoshia (Josiah) is short for Yehoshia (Josiah) and Yoav (Joab) is short for Yehoav (Jehoab).
    I don't know about all that, but I've always pronounced it 'ya SHOO uh', then I Googled around a bit, and found that it's often said (maybe mostly said, in my samples) as "YESH oo uh"

I'll stay with "Ya SHOO uh".

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post

Yeh-SHOO-ah

Not sure where you got your information on the name Josiah, but that's not accurate. For Josiah it would be redundant to have the divine name twice in the theophoric name. The proper transliteration of "Josiah" in Hebrew is "Yoshiyahu" יֹאשִׁיָהוּ, there are no shorter and longer forms of the name nor do names such as "Yoshia" and "Yehoshia" exist in Hebrew. There are occurrences of "Yeho'av" in inscriptions, but all the literary (Biblical) occurrences are "Yo'av" יוֹאָב
    אָמַר לוֹ יֵשׁוּעַ: אֲנִי הַדֶּרֶךְ וְהָאֱמֶת וְהַחַיִּים. אֵין אִישׁ בָּא אֶל הָאָב אֶלָּא דַּרְכִּי
    "Yeshua said, 'I AM the Way and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except through me'" - Yochanan 14:6
    כֻּלָּ֨נוּ֙ כַּצֹּ֣אן תָּעִ֔ינוּ אִ֥ישׁ לְדַרְכֹּ֖ו פָּנִ֑ינוּ וַֽיהוָה֙ הִפְגִּ֣יעַ בֹּ֔ו אֵ֖ת עֲוֹ֥ן כֻּלָּֽנוּ
    "We all, like sheep, went astray; we turned, each one, to his own way; yet HASHEM laid on him the guilt of all of us" - Yesha'yahu 53:6

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I don't know about all that, but I've always pronounced it 'ya SHOO uh', then I Googled around a bit, and found that it's often said (maybe mostly said, in my samples) as "YESH oo uh"

I'll stay with "Ya SHOO uh".
    In my experience, most people who pronounce it with the emphasis on the first syllable don't actually know Hebrew or haven't heard native Hebrew speakers say it. They usually pronounce it by reading it with the syllabic emphasis that English gives the name "Joshua". If you actually listen to native Hebrew speakers say it for any given amount of time, you'll all hear them pronounce it with the emphasis on the middle syllable
    אָמַר לוֹ יֵשׁוּעַ: אֲנִי הַדֶּרֶךְ וְהָאֱמֶת וְהַחַיִּים. אֵין אִישׁ בָּא אֶל הָאָב אֶלָּא דַּרְכִּי
    "Yeshua said, 'I AM the Way and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except through me'" - Yochanan 14:6
    כֻּלָּ֨נוּ֙ כַּצֹּ֣אן תָּעִ֔ינוּ אִ֥ישׁ לְדַרְכֹּ֖ו פָּנִ֑ינוּ וַֽיהוָה֙ הִפְגִּ֣יעַ בֹּ֔ו אֵ֖ת עֲוֹ֥ן כֻּלָּֽנוּ
    "We all, like sheep, went astray; we turned, each one, to his own way; yet HASHEM laid on him the guilt of all of us" - Yesha'yahu 53:6