Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Need advice from Christians well-versed in both philosophy and theology!

tWebber
    Faith
    Soft agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Remonstrant View Post
    It is good that you understand the inadequacy of ‘easy believism’. Intellectual assent to basic theological propositions concerning the person and work of Jesus Christ does not constitute saving faith. That said, whilst following Christ does indeed entail repentance (or turning) from sin, you must understand that the very things you desire to do that you know are forbidden by the law of God will inevitably lead to your permanent destruction. Your very desires are corrupt and need to be changed.

The good news is that salvation entails not only the forgiveness of one’s sins (justification), but the impartation of a new nature as well (regeneration). The natural state of all who have sinned is to do their own will; there is no genuine desire to serve God. It is only the one who is united to Christ by faith that is no longer under the penalty or power of sin.

I highly encourage you to attentively read through Paul’s epistle to the Romans – especially chapters 1–8 – again and again. Much more could be said. The gospel is ultimately not about you or me: it is about what God has accomplished (and will accomplish) through his Son to redeem fallen creation. It is to him you must look. If you are looking for the good news, it is certainly to be found in Romans.
    I really appreciate your response, scripture recommendation, and good information! :)

tWebber
    Faith
    Soft agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    oh I am not saying you will magically be turned into a pure holy man who never lusts or wanting to do the wrong thing. I am saying you will more an more realize that you need to do the right thing. To choose the right thing. Everyone has a "good you" inside of them that knows what that right thing to do is. You know good from bad. Yet a lot of time we ignore that and do the bad anyway because of our desires. It's more fun, it gives us pleasure for a moment. But it is wrong and deep down we know it. Well when you make Christ your Lord, you will be more aware of this "good you" and you will want to please God and to do that you need to choose to do the right thing instead of the wrong thing. You let the "good you" win more often and find that it feels good to do the right thing. and that feeling lasts a lot longer than the temporary pleasure you might get by doing the wrong thing followed by guilt and regret later.
    That all makes good sense! And I agree about Christian movies being somewhat cheesy. Only a few have good acting.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian Believer
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A
    Have no fear on Hell as it is to be destroyed by God thus no one will be in it:-
    Rev. 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This ["the lake of fire"] is the second death [or oblivion].

Get to Know God via John 17:3 and 1 Tim 3:16-17 and Rom 1:20 and Pray and ask for His Truth to be reviled to you and keep looking:-
    Matt. 7:7-8.
    BU