Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Washington Post fact-checks Pence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington Post fact-checks Pence

This is amusing.

From the article:

Source: Washington Post

We were tempted to say that Pence earns Four Pinocchios, but the numbers are technically correct.

© Copyright Original Source

So they give him 3 Pinocchios for a statement that they admit is correct. Nice, Washington Post.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

It's interesting that they post a graph indicating things were declining under Obama, and started to turn up recently under Trump.

participation1-e1511820076959.jpg

That should earn Pence at least 12 more Pinocchios!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      This is amusing.

From the article:

Source: Washington Post

We were tempted to say that Pence earns Four Pinocchios, but the numbers are technically correct.

So they give him 3 Pinocchios for a statement that they admit is correct. Nice, Washington Post.
      Key points:

Pence is technically correct. There are more people working than ever before.

That is because there are more people in the country than ever before.

It would probably be just as correct to say that there are more people unemployed than ever before.

By some standard ratios, peak employment as a total percentage of the population occurred in either 1997 or 2000.

Guacamole's gold-standard assessment: Everything any politician says should automatically be assumed to have a four Pinnochio rating unless proven otherwise. ECREE.

fwiw,
      me
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
        Key points:

It would probably be just as correct to say that there are more people unemployed than ever before.

By some standard ratios, peak employment as a total percentage of the population occurred in either 1997 or 2000.

Guacamole's gold-standard assessment: Everything any politician says should automatically be assumed to have a four Pinnochio rating unless proven otherwise. ECREE.

fwiw,
        me
        Yeah, I did some cherry picking of my own, so you're not alone.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Key points:

fwiw,
          me
          To say that's contextually meaningless and vacuous is not the same as saying that it's dishonest.

Edit: Maybe "contextually simplistic" or "trivially true" would be better than "contextually meaningless"
          Last edited by Zymologist; 11-29-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

To say that's contextually meaningless and vacuous is not the same as saying that it's dishonest.

Edit: Maybe "contextually simplistic" or "trivially true" would be better than "contextually meaningless"
            I think it's worse to say that it's vacuous than to say that it's dishonest.
            Save me, save me"

Comment

I think it's worse to say that it's vacuous than to say that it's dishonest.
              Really? Huh. The more I think about what Pence said, the more I think it was just dumb. But I say dumb things, and he is, after all, a politician.

If the "fact-checkers" treated all politicians equally and just called them all damn liars, I think I'd be ok with that. What bugs me is how the letter D gives people a free pass.

Comment

Meanwhile, U.S. Third-Quarter Growth Revised to Three-Year High of 3.3%.

Comment

What bugs me is how the letter D gives people a free pass.
                  And here is where people can rag on me for being vacuous and stating a trivial truth....

Comment

Source: OP Article

a few modest economic gains since taking office.

I give this statement 6 Pinocchios.

pinocchio_3.jpgpinocchio_3.jpg

chart.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25100[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25100[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25099[/ATTACH]
                      I note that your line can be extended back to Jan/Feb 2016 without much change in slope (and that the leftmost and rightmost points are actually above the data, making the comparison look better than it actually is).
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        I note that your line can be extended back to Jan/Feb 2016 without much change in slope (and that the leftmost and rightmost points are actually above the data, making the comparison look better than it actually is).
                        November 2016 is when the chart starts to actually climb higher than it has since 2014.

Comment

November 2016 is when the chart starts to actually climb higher than it has since 2014.
                          Sure - but you're using it to refute a statement going back to 2009.

And the stock market is not the only economic indicator.
                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Really? Huh. The more I think about what Pence said, the more I think it was just dumb. But I say dumb things, and he is, after all, a politician.

If the "fact-checkers" treated all politicians equally and just called them all damn liars, I think I'd be ok with that.
                            We all say dumb things. Even me. I know, hard to accept. However, I don't think he's dumb. He's saying what he's been given to say. I don't even think "they"--the whoever developed that spin-- think we are dumb. They just know that most people will accept a given statement if it seems truthy enough. It bothers me that it's vacuous as opposed to dishonest because of our collective impulse to accept truthy, vacuous statements.

What bugs me is how the letter D gives people a free pass.
                            LOL. As a teacher, I interpreted that in a much different way.

fwiw,
                            guacamole
                            Save me, save me"

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25100[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25100[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25099[/ATTACH]
                              I think we need a pinochio emote.
                              Save me, save me"

Comment