Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Washington Post fact-checks Pence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
    Key points:

Pence is technically correct. There are more people working than ever before.

That is because there are more people in the country than ever before.
    That is an old political trick used by Administrations for decades right on up to Obama's (which could not make that claim). What is interesting is that while this has been accepted for years and years (because, as you note, it is technically correct) the fact checkers at WaPo decided to hand out three Pinocchios for it (in spite of it being true).

Almost like they have an agenda when it comes to "fact checking"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      That is an old political trick used by Administrations for decades right on up to Obama's (which could not make that claim). What is interesting is that while this has been accepted for years and years (because, as you note, it is technically correct) the fact checkers at WaPo decided to hand out three Pinocchios for it (in spite of it being true).

I'm shocked. Shocked, I say!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Seems reasonable. They probably do have an agenda. I haven't read any of their other fact checking articles to know if they fact checked Obama or not.
        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
        Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I'm shocked. Shocked, I say!
          [*Mandatory response*]

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
            Seems reasonable. They probably do have an agenda. I haven't read any of their other fact checking articles to know if they fact checked Obama or not.
            I do know that he did get four Pinocchios for claiming that he called the attack on Benghazi an act of "terrorism." But that one was unquestionable and there was no way to avoid it.

Comment

Not the first time the Washington Post has pulled the "He's right, but we're still going to call him a liar" routine.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Source: OP Article

Since 2009, the economy has been recovering from the effects of the Great Recession, but that doesn’t stop the Trump administration from taking credit for a few modest economic gains since taking office.

© Copyright Original Source

I give this statement 6 Pinocchios.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25100[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25100[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25099[/ATTACH]
                Stock exchanges do not necessarily reflect economic growth, or anything else for that matter except what goes up often falls back down.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  Stock exchanges do not necessarily reflect economic growth, or anything else for that matter except what goes up often falls back down.
                  They are a pretty good indicator. Companies are selling more products and hiring more people, so unemployment is down, the GDP is up, people have more money because they have jobs, and that means they have more money to spend which increased the profits of other companies who hire more people and the stock goes up.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    How about three straight quarters of +3% GDP[1] after liberals have been telling us over and over during the Obama Administration how such economic growth was no longer a realistic expectation in today's world market (and the day after Trump was elected as liberal economic guru Paul Krugman called his victory "the mother of all adverse effects," predicting "a global recession, with no end in sight" as a result)?

1. And the New York Federal Reserve Bank is predicting that next quarter the GDP will be at 3.8% -- far outstripping the anemic average-annual GDP growth rate of 1.5% during Obama’s term as president.

Comment

How about three straight quarters of +3% GDP[1] after liberals have been telling us over and over during the Obama Administration how such economic growth was no longer a realistic expectation in today's world market (and the day after Trump was elected as liberal economic guru Paul Krugman called his victory "the mother of all adverse effects," predicting "a global recession, with no end in sight" as a result)?

1. And the New York Federal Reserve Bank is predicting that next quarter the GDP will be at 3.8% -- far outstripping the anemic average-annual GDP growth rate of 1.5% during Obama’s term as president.
                      The economic upturn was all due to Obama. He blessed the economy just as he was leaving office, making the world an economic paradise!

Comment

The economic upturn was all due to Obama. He blessed the economy just as he was leaving office, making the world an economic paradise!
                        Praise be to Obama!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Such a swell gentleman, leaving his successor to get all the credit.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Such a swell gentleman, leaving his successor to get all the credit.
                            He probably felt bad for all those years of blaming Bush.

Comment