Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gun Rights and Gun Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Rights and Gun Control

I listen to podcasts extensively, across the political spectrum. This one just came up in my feed (yeah, I'm behind) and I found it fascinating. I have to admit I have not had time to verify all claims, but I randomly chose four claims (random by using Excel's random function and using the number it generated as an index into the timeline and researching whatever claim was at that point or the first following - just to make sure I wasn't imposing my bias on my selections) and they all checked out - so I am fairly confident they did their homework.

I'd be interested in the response. It would be helpful, if you object to a point, or if you find a claim to be false, if you could provide the sources that would help me verify that.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/1...er-gun-control
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Argument by weblink.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Argument by weblink.
      Umm... I didn't make an argument. I just offered a resource for those interested in listening to it.

Did I inadvertently violate a term of use?
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        Argument by weblink.
        it's allowed in an OP.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          Umm... I didn't make an argument. I just offered a resource for those interested in listening to it.

Did I inadvertently violate a term of use?
          You are OK. If you just respond to someone with a link it is against the rules. We expect at least a summary of the argument in your own words with the link as a backup. Otherwise we end up with threads that are just people throwing links around and nothing is being actually debated. But for an opening post a link is OK. but if it is something long to read or listen to, it helps if you summarize the parts you are interested in discussing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            You are OK. If you just respond to someone with a link it is against the rules. We expect at least a summary of the argument in your own words with the link as a backup. Otherwise we end up with threads that are just people throwing links around and nothing is being actually debated. But for an opening post a link is OK. but if it is something long to read or listen to, it helps if you summarize the parts you are interested in discussing.
            It breaks down the history of gun control in the U.S. since the revolutionary war, citing all of the Gun Control the founding fathers implemented to keep guns from minorities, those not deemed qualified, and the extensive tracking they did of guns in the first decades of the republic, to follow through on their notion that a standing army was not in the best interests of the country, and a well-armed militia was the way to go. If then traces gun control initiatives after the civil war to keep the newly freed slave population from securing arms. It concludes with the history of the NRA and it's major shift in the 1970s from a group predominantly focused on promoting gun safety and outdoor activities to a major lobbying force to fight gun control.

All in all, it's very thorough, and added some eye-opening information to my understanding of the history and some of the legislative and judicial actions since the 1970s.

Comment

I have no idea why, but I initially read the thread title as "Animal Rights and Gun Control".

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                I have no idea why, but I initially read the thread title as "Animal Rights and Gun Control".

Now THAT would be an odd discussion...

I inSIST that hunting is not a sport until you arm the deer!

Comment

Now THAT would be an odd discussion...

I inSIST that hunting is not a sport until you arm the deer!
                  Does the hunter get antlers?

Comment

Now THAT woukld be fun!

Comment

Now THAT woukld be fun!
                      I would go for a cage match.

Remember this?

Comment

Remember this?
                        Oops, somebody got his butt kicked... I came face to face (I mean 10 feet) with a young buck in early fall. The thing is he didn't run, just kept staring at me. I just spoke to him in low tones as I slipped by...
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Remember this?

Amazing to me that the thing did NOT use its antlers....

Comment

Amazing to me that the thing did NOT use its antlers....
                            I think it was trying to have sex with him. Didn't he spray doe urine on himself or something? and it was rutting season?

Comment

Yes, but only if he wears them as a helmet.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment