Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Flynn pleads guilty to lying to the FBI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Fox News has been told by a former senior intelligence officer with knowledge of Trump transition activities that then-President-Elect Trump directed Flynn during that period to contact the Russians -- while also directing him and his team to contact 12 other countries."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...sia-probe.html
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Possible nothing-burger?

----------

(National Review) ... as I explained in connection with George Papadopoulos (who also pled guilty in Mueller’s investigation for lying to the FBI), when a prosecutor has a cooperator who was an accomplice in a major criminal scheme, the cooperator is made to plead guilty to the scheme. This is critical because it proves the existence of the scheme. In his guilty-plea allocution (the part of a plea proceeding in which the defendant admits what he did that makes him guilty), the accomplice explains the scheme and the actions taken by himself and his co-conspirators to carry it out. This goes a long way toward proving the case against all of the subjects of the investigation.

That is not happening in Flynn’s situation. Instead, like Papadopoulos, he is being permitted to plead guilty to a mere process crime. A breaking report from ABC News indicates that Flynn is prepared to testify that Trump directed him to make contact with the Russians — initially to lay the groundwork for mutual efforts against ISIS in Syria. That, however, is exactly the sort of thing the incoming national-security adviser is supposed to do in a transition phase between administrations. If it were part of the basis for a “collusion” case arising out of Russia’s election meddling, then Flynn would not be pleading guilty to a process crime — he’d be pleading guilty to an espionage conspiracy.

Understand: If Flynn’s conversations with the Russian ambassador had evinced the existence of a quid pro quo collusion arrangement — that the Trump administration would ease or eliminate sanctions on Russia as a payback for Russia’s cyber-espionage against the Hillary Clinton campaign and the Democratic party — it would have been completely appropriate, even urgently necessary, for the Obama Justice Department to investigate Flynn. But if that had happened, Mueller would not be permitting Flynn to settle the case with a single count of lying to FBI agents. Instead, we would be looking at a major conspiracy indictment, and Flynn would be made to plead to far more serious offenses if he wanted a deal — cooperation in exchange for sentencing leniency.

To the contrary, for all the furor, we have a small-potatoes plea...

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...-investigation
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        "Fox News has been told by a former senior intelligence officer with knowledge of Trump transition activities that then-President-Elect Trump directed Flynn during that period to contact the Russians -- while also directing him and his team to contact 12 other countries."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...sia-probe.html
        That would be AFTER Trump won the election so how does that show that anyone did anything wrong to influence the election?

I think the trouble Flint is in is just because he lied. Not what he actually did. If he had told the truth then this would have never been a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
          Your denial of how deadly serious this is getting for the WH is just delicious beyond words.

I hope the president does have to resign just to see you flip out.
          I'm going to guess you haven't been paying attention. I would much prefer President Pence to President Trump. As long as Trump manages to hold on for another year and a half-ish so Pence can serve two full terms, I'm good.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            . . . so Pence can serve two full terms, I'm good.
            I wish.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

pence is only good because he's a yes man, without Trump he'd turn into another establishment noodle and bring America closer to the likely inevitable civil war.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                pence is only good because he's a yes man, without Trump he'd turn into another establishment noodle and bring America closer to the likely inevitable civil war.
                Sheesh Darth, it would take Vlad the Impaler to make you happy...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  I wish.
                  Keep wishing on the stars.

It's all ya' got.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Sheesh Darth, it would take Vlad the Impaler to make you happy...
                    Trump makes me happy and he's still far from my ideal leader. I think you guys just have very, very low expectations.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Keep wishing on the stars.

It's all ya' got.
                      CEPG0BtWoAAlovd.jpg
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        I'm skeptical that's all there is; if it was something as innocuous as that, why lie to the FBI multiple times?
                        You can say the same thing about Bill Clinton, though. He decided to repeatedly lie and commit outright perjury over something that would be, at worst, a bit embarrassing to get out in the public.

Comment

Special counsels usually go after people full throttle for obstruction of justice and perjury. Watergate, Iran-Contra, Plame, Whitewater, they all got people for the cover-up of the misdeeds and crimes, not the crimes themselves. Mueller seems to be following the path, which is not good news for Sessions, Kushner, Page, Don Jr and Trump himself.

I know some of you don't want to believe it, but this is the beginning of the end for the Trump WH.
                          With the Plame affair Patrick Fitzgerald knew full well that there was no White House "leak" that outed Valerie Plame as a CIA operative so he set up a perjury trap to catch somebody doing something -- anything -- in order to justify all the time and money wasted. Investor's Business Daily nailed it when they wrote "From top to bottom, this has been one of the most disgraceful abuses of prosecutorial power in this country's history... The Plame case proves [Fitzgerald] can bend the truth with the proficiency of the slickest of pols."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]25172[/ATTACH]

Comment

You seem to have confused me with a Trump supporter. Go sit in the corner with JimL.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                With the Plame affair Patrick Fitzgerald knew full well that there was no White House "leak" that outed Valerie Plame as a CIA operative so he set up a perjury trap to catch somebody doing something -- anything -- in order to justify all the time and money wasted. Investor's Business Daily nailed it when they wrote "From top to bottom, this has been one of the most disgraceful abuses of prosecutorial power in this country's history... The Plame case proves [Fitzgerald] can bend the truth with the proficiency of the slickest of pols."
                                Kinda like how conservatives unleashed Starr to look into Whitewater, and after he found nothing after four years he started looking at semen stains on dresses? Spare me.

Comment