Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anti virus software

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Question anti virus software

so now having a new laptop the next question is what antivirus?
    Nortons...No it slows computers down
    Mcaffee.... No again slows computers down
    Trend?
    AVG? I have a license for AVG on my other laptop so could install it.

basiclly whats good? someone said I dont need any virus protection as microsfts built into windows 10 a good antivirus...opinions please

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Avg

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Avira Antivir

Lightweight in my experience.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I second what Bill said, go with AVG if you already have a license for it. It's a perfectly fine antivirus AFAIK.

---

Personally, I use Malwarebytes Premium + Windows Defender. I also use Ghostery (although I disable all of the "sharing..." stuff under "Support Ghostery" in the "General Options" tab) and uBlock Origin for Chrome.

I used to pay for a subscription for BitDefender Total Security, although I stopped paying for it. Not because it wasn't any good, it worked fine as far as I could tell, it's just that I started to suspect I could manage fine using just Malwarebytes and Windows Defender (+some common sense).

5. Amen tabibito amen'd this post.
    Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I just use Windows Defender
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

7. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Do NOT use Kaspersky.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

9. Amen Luv1another amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I just use the one that comes with windows 10. And will run a scan with a program like MalwareBytes every once in a while to clean up the crap that websites put on your computer. I had Avast, McAfee and AVG in the past (the free versions) and they have all been disappointments. Not only are they full of ads and crap, some of them seem to actually slow down your machine. I refuse to even put Norton on any PC I own. We used it at a previous company I worked at and it was the worst of all. really slowed down your PC and we found it let stuff through that it shouldn't

I am also very careful in opening attachments or clicking links in emails. Basically unless someone tells me personally that they are sending me something I will not open it or click any links no matter who it says it is from. I also keep multiple backups just in case. I have never had a virus infect my computer in 30 years.

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I am also very careful in opening attachments or clicking links in emails. Basically unless someone tells me personally that they are sending me something I will not open it or click any links no matter who it says it is from. I also keep multiple backups just in case. I have never had a virus infect my computer in 30 years.
    Last virus I had came through in an ad on that voice chat app Tweb used to use.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    Last virus I had came through in an ad on that voice chat app Tweb used to use.

I blame Jaltus.

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I also use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. I not had an issue so far.

Ironically, we use Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) at work. We have it at the Enterprise level. (Decision on that WAY above my pay grade)
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen