Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

anti virus software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anti virus software

so now having a new laptop the next question is what antivirus?
    Nortons...No it slows computers down
    Mcaffee.... No again slows computers down
    Trend?
    AVG? I have a license for AVG on my other laptop so could install it.

basiclly whats good? someone said I dont need any virus protection as microsfts built into windows 10 a good antivirus...opinions please

Avg
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Avira Antivir

Lightweight in my experience.

Comment

I second what Bill said, go with AVG if you already have a license for it. It's a perfectly fine antivirus AFAIK.

---

Personally, I use Malwarebytes Premium + Windows Defender. I also use Ghostery (although I disable all of the "sharing..." stuff under "Support Ghostery" in the "General Options" tab) and uBlock Origin for Chrome.

I used to pay for a subscription for BitDefender Total Security, although I stopped paying for it. Not because it wasn't any good, it worked fine as far as I could tell, it's just that I started to suspect I could manage fine using just Malwarebytes and Windows Defender (+some common sense).

Comment

I just use Windows Defender
          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Do NOT use Kaspersky.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I just use the one that comes with windows 10. And will run a scan with a program like MalwareBytes every once in a while to clean up the crap that websites put on your computer. I had Avast, McAfee and AVG in the past (the free versions) and they have all been disappointments. Not only are they full of ads and crap, some of them seem to actually slow down your machine. I refuse to even put Norton on any PC I own. We used it at a previous company I worked at and it was the worst of all. really slowed down your PC and we found it let stuff through that it shouldn't

I am also very careful in opening attachments or clicking links in emails. Basically unless someone tells me personally that they are sending me something I will not open it or click any links no matter who it says it is from. I also keep multiple backups just in case. I have never had a virus infect my computer in 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I am also very careful in opening attachments or clicking links in emails. Basically unless someone tells me personally that they are sending me something I will not open it or click any links no matter who it says it is from. I also keep multiple backups just in case. I have never had a virus infect my computer in 30 years.
                Last virus I had came through in an ad on that voice chat app Tweb used to use.

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                  Last virus I had came through in an ad on that voice chat app Tweb used to use.

I blame Jaltus.

Comment

I also use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. I not had an issue so far.

Ironically, we use Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) at work. We have it at the Enterprise level. (Decision on that WAY above my pay grade)
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Norton used to be good. It used to be one of the first things I would put on a PC when doing repairs for family/friends. After they were bought by Symantec it took a couple of years until it was the first thing I would remove from a PC.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

I hate Norton and McAfee. I had a subscription to McAfee at one point. They made updates and the program became worse than some viruses, it absolutely killed my PC's performance. I couldn't believe they wanted to charge me some obscene price to make my compute run like crap. Worst part was, it was even difficult to throttle back. I tried to disable all the background stuff it would do and only use it to manually perform scans - didn't work so well. Finally had to completely uninstall it.

I'm a fan of Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, and one or two others. Basically if you're careful with emails and don't frequent shady websites, your risk of getting a virus is pretty low to begin with.
                        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment