Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Xbox one vs PS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox one vs PS4

So what are fors and againsts for both PS4 and Xbox? Was thinking of using one or the other for gaming instead of my laptop... I like Dragon age, mass effect, basicly 1 person RPG type games. I know this is like asking about iPhone and Samsung lol. Why would you buy a PS or Xbox against the other?

Out of the two options I would go with the PS4, mostly due to the exclusives. Lots of RPG style games, since those are popular in Japan. Xbox has only a handful of exclusives, and none are RPG's. You might be better off just building a desktop PC if you don't care about Sony's exclusive RPG's, since you can often get games on PC cheaper than on consoles through Steam, Humble Bundle, GoG, and similar sites.

You might look into a Nintendo Switch though. It's almost as powerful as the options you listed, is gaining awesome games constantly, and is portable*. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 just came out, and it might be the kind of game you would really like. Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, and Skyrim are on the Switch, the Zelda game is pretty awesome, and Skyrim has always been pretty popular as an RPG.

*Isn't that one of the reasons you wanted a gaming laptop? Moving from docked mode to portable is extremely easy. Literally pick up and play. If you do end up with some multiplayer stuff, you start off with two joycons, which is enough for many Switch games to play with two people. Snipperclips, Mario Kart, ARMS, Super Mario Odyssey, and many other titles have it set up where you can use a single joycon per player.

Comment

well I got an lenovo ideapad after hubby and sales guy talked me into it as a laptop... I dont play games a LOT anymore (used to play everyday when I wasnt sleeping) as I have other things to do now but was thinking it would be nice to just have my laptop to do other things and not bog it down. the other laptop ended up running so slow and I think it was because I did play a lot and filled it up with games.
      so your saying switch is a better platform? I do want something that will last for many years and possibly play DVD's if our dvd player broke down. I hadnt heard of switch before does it have dragon age and mass effect?

Comment

Originally posted by Luv1another View Post
        well I got an lenovo ideapad after hubby and sales guy talked me into it as a laptop... I dont play games a LOT anymore (used to play everyday when I wasnt sleeping) as I have other things to do now but was thinking it would be nice to just have my laptop to do other things and not bog it down. the other laptop ended up running so slow and I think it was because I did play a lot and filled it up with games.
        so your saying switch is a better platform? I do want something that will last for many years and possibly play DVD's if our dvd player broke down. I hadnt heard of switch before does it have dragon age and mass effect?
        It does not have Dragon Age or Mass Effect on there, yet, and does not play DVD's*. It does have lots of RPG games like Skyrim, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, and many more. Square Enix has stated that they will be "aggressively pursuing the Switch". The full library just keeps growing. It's not as powerful as some of the other systems, but it trades that for portability. The Nintendo Switch just came out this year, so it will be supported for many years to come. Especially given how successful it has been.

Many laptops have DVD functionality. If yours doesn't, then it's really easy to find a cheap blu ray. They are $60 at the low end, cheaper if you go refurbished. DVD is even cheaper if you don't want a blu ray player. Some as cheap as $15 that are new.

Xbox One is the cheapest out of the bunch at $200. It has blu ray functionality, and has a large library. PS4 is at $300, has blu ray, and has the largest library. Especially out of games like RPG's. Specifically JRPG's. The Switch is $300, has a smaller library, and no blu ray. However library is growing extremely fast, and is a newer system. So it will more than likely be supported with new games for a longer period of time than the other two since they've already been out a while. Also, it is portable, which the other two systems just can't do.

It really depends on what you want out of your system. If you want it cheaper, with most big name games Xbox One will do the job, and with a blu ray player built in. Since Xbox is owned by Microsoft, they don't really do exclusives since they want their games to come to the PC as well. If you want some of those exclusives then you want the PS4 since it has tons of RPG games. Both systems should be supported for a while to come. If you want portability your only option is the Switch. The library is smaller, but growing fast. Also, unlike the Xbox One, it has a good amount of exclusive games.

*Wouldn't have been feasible to use discs for how they wanted it to work, so they use cartridges. Supposedly they are working on getting various video services on there. This would potentially mean you can use those digital video codes that often come with DVD's today to watch movies on your Switch. Depending on the model of laptop, you can use it as a DVD player.

Comment

Switch has more nintendo style games I think, you know, like Mario Bro, Zelda, and family style games. It is the next generation machine after the Wii and Wii-U. But Cerebrum knows more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Switch has more nintendo style games I think, you know, like Mario Bro, Zelda, and family style games. It is the next generation machine after the Wii and Wii-U. But Cerebrum knows more.
            Yeah, they are the newest Nintendo console, and have a large amount of family friendly games, like Snipperclips:Cut it out Together. However, unlike past Nintendo consoles they seem to be going out of their way to get a lot of third party games like Doom, Wolfenstein, Skyrim, and some others. This time without the censorship they employed in the past.

Comment

thankyou Cerebrum :) your very clued in and helpful ....much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                It does not have Dragon Age or Mass Effect on there, yet, and does not play DVD's*. It does have lots of RPG games like Skyrim, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, and many more. Square Enix has stated that they will be "aggressively pursuing the Switch". The full library just keeps growing. It's not as powerful as some of the other systems, but it trades that for portability. The Nintendo Switch just came out this year, so it will be supported for many years to come. Especially given how successful it has been.

Capcom also announced that they're going to port all the old Megaman X(X-X8) games to the Switch, and they've also announced that Megaman 11 is coming in late 2018 as well (although that won't be a Switch exclusive).

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                Many laptops have DVD functionality. If yours doesn't, then it's really easy to find a cheap blu ray. They are $60 at the low end, cheaper if you go refurbished. DVD is even cheaper if you don't want a blu ray player. Some as cheap as $15 that are new.
                I think "many" is kind of understating it. It's probably more like >99% of all laptops that have DVD functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                  Capcom also announced that they're going to port all the old Megaman X(X-X8) games to the Switch, and they've also announced that Megaman 11 is coming in late 2018 as well (although that won't be a Switch exclusive).

About time they made a new Mega Man game. I still hope they actually make Mega Man Legends 3. I mean, they had it far enough along on the 3DS to complete a demo, and then they cancelled it the day they were supposed to let us play it.

They are also bringing both parts of the Mega Man Legacy Collection to the Switch. Hopefully they will port the Disney Afternoon Collection over there as well.

I think "many" is kind of understating it. It's probably more like >99% of all laptops that have DVD functionality.
                  Pretty much yeah.

Comment

thankyou Cerebrum :) your very clued in and helpful ....much appreciated
                    You are welcome. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Comment

I'd just like to add that Bloodborne is a PS4 exclusive.
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment