Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Papyrus found Jesus married

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently the Carbon-14 dating is all over the place. Of the three tests, two produced results that would place the papyrus' composition several hundred years BEFORE Jesus was even born and the last more than half a millennia AFTER:

As for the scientific tests, those on the ink produced results consistent with the item being old, not modern. The two radio-carbon tests, however, are both a bit puzzling and interesting. The proposed dates of the two tests are out from each other by several hundred years. The one report (by Hodgins) notes the curious date-result (405-350 BCE and/or 307-209 BCE), about a thousand years earlier than the date from the other carbon-dating test (659-969 CE), and Hodgins suggests some kind of contamination of the sample. But I’d assume that a contamination would come from something later than the ancient setting, and so skew the date later, not earlier. I’ll need some help with this!
    http://larryhurtado.wordpress.com/20...tial-thoughts/

Comment

Just a side note here - so what if Jesus was married? Marriage can be holy and good.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Just a side note here - so what if Jesus was married? Marriage can be holy and good.
        He's married to the church.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          That's not the same. A bride isn't the same as a wife. Or is the church Jesus' wife?

Comment

So if He has a human wife while on earth that would be adultery?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

To marry someone knowing you're going to be hanged later would be cruel.

Comment

So if He has a human wife while on earth that would be adultery?
                No, but it would be less perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                  To marry someone knowing you're going to be hanged later would be cruel.
                  Reminds me that St Peter was martyred along with his wife.

Comment

Reminds me that St Peter was martyred along with his wife.
                    Oh? I don't recall seeing any information beyond that he was married.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Oh? I don't recall seeing any information beyond that he was married.
                      Its not in the Bible, but Clement of Alexandrea wrote a book titled 'Stromata' (means 'miscellaneous') which was basically a collection of miscellaneous facts at the time.

"They say, accordingly, that the blessed Peter, on seeing his wife led to death, rejoiced on account of her call and conveyance home, and called very encouragingly and comfortingly, addressing her by name, Remember the Lord. Such was the marriage of the blessed and their perfect disposition towards those dearest to them." Stromata Book VII Ch III

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        It is very misleading to affirmatively state for sure in a subject line that, yes, Jesus was for sure married... based on a line in a fourth century document.
                        Yeah, that's almost as ridiculous as someone basing an entire religion on second and third century documents ... Wait?

NORM
                        When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
                          Yeah, that's almost as ridiculous as someone basing an entire religion on second and third century documents ... Wait?

NORM
                          Why were early christians forging and interpolating to begin with? The Coptics weren't the first.

Comment

Its not in the Bible, but Clement of Alexandrea wrote a book titled 'Stromata' (means 'miscellaneous') which was basically a collection of miscellaneous facts at the time.

"They say, accordingly, that the blessed Peter, on seeing his wife led to death, rejoiced on account of her call and conveyance home, and called very encouragingly and comfortingly, addressing her by name, Remember the Lord. Such was the marriage of the blessed and their perfect disposition towards those dearest to them." Stromata Book VII Ch III
                            Thanks. That's found in Book VII Ch. XI, though - and that in no way implies that they were martyred together (though it's possible).
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

NORM
                              What religion would that be? You're certainly not describing Christianity.

sigpic

Comment

Talmudic Judaism?

Comment