Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Papyrus found Jesus married

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    Talmudic Judaism?
    Most Jews are no longer tethered to ANY one book - including the Talmud. We value human experience and wisdom as well as sage, old advice.

NORM
    When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
      Most Jews are no longer tethered to ANY one book - including the Talmud. We value human experience and wisdom as well as sage, old advice.

NORM
      Are you speaking of those who do not worship in synagogues where the Tanakh is read and expounded as a central part of the service? Or those who attend synagogues were this is not the case? Or those who do not even go to synagogue? Or all or some combination of the above. As for Christians, I will not speak for most, but certainly my tradition (Roman Catholicism) puts a very high value on human experience and wisdom and sage, old advice. Without being untethered from the Jewish and Christian scriptures.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        Are you speaking of those who do not worship in synagogues where the Tanakh is read and expounded as a central part of the service? Or those who attend synagogues were this is not the case? Or those who do not even go to synagogue? Or all or some combination of the above. As for Christians, I will not speak for most, but certainly my tradition (Roman Catholicism) puts a very high value on human experience and wisdom and sage, old advice. Without being untethered from the Jewish and Christian scriptures.
        The focus of life within the Jewish community is not centered around the Shabbat service. Yes, we read from the Tanakh each week, and normally the Rabbi or Cantor will expound on some topical subject that may or may not relate to the reading. BTW, the scriptures are normally sung. It's quite beautiful.

I can't speak for the Orthodox or Conservative communities, but we often use popular novels or works of non-fiction as subject matter for our Minyan sessions.

But, the main thing is that we realize the limitations of ancient documents as to informing our community on issues of the day.

It is my hope that the other faith expressions "of the Book" evolve to this place.

NORM
        When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

The focus of life within the Jewish community is not centered around the Shabbat service. Yes, we read from the Tanakh each week, and normally the Rabbi or Cantor will expound on some topical subject that may or may not relate to the reading. BTW, the scriptures are normally sung. It's quite beautiful.

I can't speak for the Orthodox or Conservative communities, but we often use popular novels or works of non-fiction as subject matter for our Minyan sessions.

But, the main thing is that we realize the limitations of ancient documents as to informing our community on issues of the day.

It is my hope that the other faith expressions "of the Book" evolve to this place.

NORM
          I think this is also true of many Christians and Muslims. Not fundamentalists, to be sure, but I refuse to let them define the nature and character of Christianity.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            I think this is also true of many Christians and Muslims. Not fundamentalists, to be sure, but I refuse to let them define the nature and character of Christianity.
            NormATive doesn't actually believe in God and I'm betting most of his co-coreligionists don't either. Thank you for further exemplifying the maxim that there's no real difference between liberal Christians and atheists.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              NormATive doesn't actually believe in God and I'm betting most of his co-coreligionists don't either. Thank you for further exemplifying the maxim that there's no real difference between liberal Christians and atheists.
              True in the sense that both require reasonable evidence to justify their beliefs (or non-beliefs), but surely this is a good thing, not something that warrants scorn.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

You welcome!

יברכך יהוה וישמרך׃ יאר יהוה פניו אליך ויחנך׃ ישא יהוה פניו אליך וישם לך שלום׃

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  True in the sense that both require reasonable evidence to justify their beliefs (or non-beliefs)
                  True in the sense that they both follow whatever their base instincts desire and then justify them post-facto (probably subconsciously) by claiming they arrived at those positions rationally.

but surely this is a good thing, not something that warrants scorn.
                  Even if your over-inflated views of what you actually do was true, you're wrong. Blindly following skepticism is not inherently better than blindly following tradition. In fact it's probably worse in general given the thousands of years of natural selection that has gone into producing the latter. Manboons just aren't built to be machines.
                  Last edited by Darth Executor; 04-13-2014, 10:03 AM.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

About the Carbon 14 dating,

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                    Apparently the Carbon-14 dating is all over the place. Of the three tests, two produced results that would place the papyrus' composition several hundred years BEFORE Jesus was even born and the last more than half a millennia AFTER:

http://larryhurtado.wordpress.com/20...tial-thoughts/
                    Yeah, I was very confused by that dating. C-14 is very accurate within 3,000 years. These dates were way off. How could they even publish these results. I never seen C-14 results this bad before.

Comment

About documents

Yeah, that's almost as ridiculous as someone basing an entire religion on second and third century documents ... Wait?

NORM
                      What documents are you referring to. Please be specific.

Comment

Originally posted by HevenScent View Post
                        What documents are you referring to. Please be specific.
                        The Christian Testament. However, if you include Paul's letters; first century CE as well.

NORM

Comment

Yeah, that's almost as ridiculous as someone basing an entire religion on second and third century documents ... Wait?

NORM
                          The Christian Testament. However, if you include Paul's letters; first century CE as well.

NORM
                          Way to shoot yourself in the foot, Norm. So much for basing our religion on books written far after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                            Way to shoot yourself in the foot, Norm. So much for basing our religion on books written far after the fact.
                            How is that shooting myself in the foot? I don't "base" anything on any book - I don't care if it was written yesterday.

NORM

Comment

Who on Earth is talking about you? You were talking about Christians basing their religion on creeds formed several centuries after its figurehead.

Comment

True in the sense that they both follow whatever their base instincts desire and then justify them post-facto (probably subconsciously) by claiming they arrived at those positions rationally.
                                The “post-facto” justifying of desired outcomes, is more likely among those whose beliefs are formed by “personal spiritual experiences”, as opposed to those whose beliefs are based on substantiated evidence. And why do you assume natural instincts are “base”? Instincts have evolved as a survival mechanism and are common to all living creatures, including us.

Even if your over-inflated views of what you actually do was true, you're wrong. Blindly following skepticism is not inherently better than blindly following tradition. In fact it's probably worse in general given the thousands of years of natural selection that has gone into producing the latter.
                                Beliefs based on credible evidence, as opposed to “blindly following” faith-based religious tradition, can hardly be regarded as “blindly following skepticism” – quite the reverse.

Manboons just aren't built to be machines.
                                Uh, “manboons”?
                                Last edited by Tassman; 04-14-2014, 05:10 AM.
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment