Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How Do We Know that God Exists?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Maybe this got said somewhere in the thread. It is worth noting that the Bible takes God's existence as a given. Looking at the evidence can help and there are plenty of stores like Josh McDowell and Lee Strobel that demonstrate that the evidence is there and can convince people. I find there is always a but and one can get lost searching the evidence without finding a satisfying answer. [par. 1, emphasis added]
    Yes; see messages #11 and #18 above.
    [I]f what you have heard from the beginning remains in you, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. … The one who has the Son has the life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. (1 Jn 2.24; 5.12, LEB)

<https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Farewell. (Sat., 24 Mar. 2018)

2. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Ultramontane Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawly View Post
    I'm not arguing that we as Christian's ought to attempt to prove God's existence. I am stating that we cannot prove the existence of God to anyone, including ourselves.
    STM to be a totally pointless exercise, and entirely the wrong kind of approach. I do however believe that God’s existence can be demonstrated by reason, apart from revelation.
    What separates us as Christian's from the unbelieving world is that unbeliever's reject the gospel and Christian's accept the gospel, based on faith, not proof. As Christian's, our interpretation of why we accept the gospel is partly due to the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit, another article of faith, not proof. Naturally, therefore, we will at times doubt (some frequently, others less so) the existence of God (or our presuppositions), elements of the gospel, parts of the bible, etc. because many of these things fall into the category of "belief" and not "proof" -- because we lack rational certainty -- but that doesn't mean we cannot have faith. Some of us do, by the grace of God, I believe.
    Well said I think people can have a true certainty of God, that is incommunicable, and that cannot be articulated, but that nonetheless has authority for those who receive it.

Faith
    Ultramontane Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Maybe this got said somewhere in the thread. It is worth noting that the Bible takes God's existence as a given. Looking at the evidence can help and there are plenty of stores like Josh McDowell and Lee Strobel that demonstrate that the evidence is there and can convince people. I find there is always a but and one can get lost searching the evidence without finding a satisfying answer.

"You must have often wondered why the Enemy does not make more use of His power to be sensibly present to human souls in any degree He chooses and at any moment. But you now see that the Irresistible and the Indisputable are the two weapons which the very nature of His scheme forbids Him to use. Merely to override a human will (as His felt presence in any but the faintest and most mitigated degree would certainly do) would be for Him useless. He cannot ravish. He can only woo." - His Abysmal Sublimity, Undersecretary Screwtape. (Letter #8).
    I often wish that the Gospels & Acts showed at least one encounter between an atheist and Christ or His Apostles. Acts 17 is the closest we are given, but there is no actual exchange of views between Apostles and atheists; only a very brief reference in Acts 17.18. Mentioning the Stoics & Epicureans is not the same as having an Epicurean try conclusions with St Paul.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by element771 View Post
    I guess my ultimate fear is the existential terror that comes with nihilism.
    Just a side note, all my years as an agnostic (until my late 30s) I never really feared death, why fear nothingness? Oblivion? I wouldn't know anything. But when I became a Christian, and came to believe in a literal heaven and hell - then I began to tremble. What if, in the end, Christ says to me - "depart I never knew you..."
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

6. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.