Thread: Having conversations about Jesus

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Having conversations about Jesus

Suppose you ask a non-Christian about their church or religious background. If he or she says, "I'm not religious" or "I'm an atheist", how would you respond to that? What would be a good comment or question after that?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I would say, "Yeah, I used to be one too until..." and then tell him the story of how and why I became a Christian.

3. Amen LostSheep amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Suppose you ask a non-Christian about their church or religious background. If he or she says, "I'm not religious" or "I'm an atheist", how would you respond to that? What would be a good comment or question after that?
    There are so many variables here that I don't think a "stock answer" would cover it. But, as Sparko indicates, your own personal testimony is a great start. The biggest factor, in my opinion, is to allow the Holy Spirit to guide your discussion. Be prayed up, and be a friend.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    There are so many variables here that I don't think a "stock answer" would cover it. But, as Sparko indicates, your own personal testimony is a great start. The biggest factor, in my opinion, is to allow the Holy Spirit to guide your discussion. Be prayed up, and be a friend.
    yep. plus no one can really argue with your own personal testimony. It is what happened to you. You are not preaching to them. You are not arguing with them. You are just telling why YOU are a Christian. If they are interested then the conversation can continue. If not, you haven't driven them off and can bring it up later. And it gives them a chance to ask questions.

6. Amen LostSheep, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I would say, "Yeah, I used to be one too until..." and then tell him the story of how and why I became a Christian.
    Sharing one's testimony is good. It shows the impact that Jesus made in one's life.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's true. There are so many things that one could say in that kind of a situation. What do you think about asking someone, "Would you like to hear what the Bible says about God or Jesus?"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Perhaps consider allowing such conversations to unfold organically.
    [I]f what you have heard from the beginning remains in you, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. The one who has the Son has the life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. (1 Jn 2.24; 5.12, LEB)

<https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Farewell. (Sat., 24 Mar. 2018)