Announcement

Collapse

Memorial Garden Guidelines

This forum is to remember all friends and family who passed from this earth. We were lucky to know them, let us encourage one another with their memories.
This is not a debate area, nor a place to speak ill of the dead.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

December 7, Pearl Harbor and Dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 7, Pearl Harbor and Dad

A date that will live in infamy.

It brought my Dad into the service of our country, all across Europe, and almost to the South Pacific (he was loading up on a transport ship with his Army Air Corps unit when the surrender of Japan was announced).

Last year, at this time, my wife and I drove all through the night to Ohio to be with Dad, as he (at 94 years of age) was "going downhill fast". We got there in time to be with him for a little bit late evening, and he passed away the next morning.

He was buried December 7, one year ago.

A date that will live, for more reasons than one, in infamy.

I'll see you again, Sarge!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I might add that, as sad as it was (and is) to know that Dad is "gone", he was fairly healthy right to the end, albeit a few scary "this is going to be bad" moments along the way.

He is not languishing in a state of confusion in a nursing home, he is not suffering in pain, he is not in need of constant care -- he is walking the streets of Glory.

For that, I am truly grateful.

And, it's kinda cool [pun intended] to remember that his last conscious words on this planet were "I want ice cream".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I might add that, as sad as it was (and is) to know that Dad is "gone", he was fairly healthy right to the end, albeit a few scary "this is going to be bad" moments along the way.

He is not languishing in a state of confusion in a nursing home, he is not suffering in pain, he is not in need of constant care -- he is walking the streets of Glory.

For that, I am truly grateful.

And, it's kinda cool [pun intended] to remember that his last conscious words on this planet were "I want ice cream".

I imagine he is swapping stories with my folks.

If we only knew what they do..........

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          A date that will live in infamy.

It brought my Dad into the service of our country, all across Europe, and almost to the South Pacific (he was loading up on a transport ship with his Army Air Corps unit when the surrender of Japan was announced).

Last year, at this time, my wife and I drove all through the night to Ohio to be with Dad, as he (at 94 years of age) was "going downhill fast". We got there in time to be with him for a little bit late evening, and he passed away the next morning.

He was buried December 7, one year ago.

A date that will live, for more reasons than one, in infamy.

I'll see you again, Sarge!
          I know you were glad that you made it in time to see him before he passed on.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I know you were glad that you made it in time to see him before he passed on.
            Yeah, and I can't say I heard "a voice", but the day we left for Ohio, I had called my wife at work and asked her to come home early, cause were were leaving "that night". We packed, were on the road, and, yeah.... there was just something in me saying "go... NOW".

Comment

If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X