Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The blessings of climate change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The blessings of climate change

Source: Jeff Jacoby

In the church of climate alarmism, there may be no heresy more dangerous than the idea that the world will benefit from warming. Zealous preachers seek to scare their flock with forecasts of catastrophe, horror, and threats to civilization. Anyone who demurs is denounced as an apostate: an anti-science "denier."

But the truth - the inconvenient truth, to coin a phrase - is that while climate change brings negatives, it brings positives too. Polar melting may cause dislocation for those who live in low-lying coastal areas, but it will also lead to safe commercial shipping in formerly inhospitable northern seas, and to economic opportunity for high-latitude residents in places like Point Hope.

Shifts in climate are like shifts in the economy: They invariably spell good news for some and bad news for others. Falling interest rates are a blessing to homebuyers but a curse to savers; a strong dollar helps consumers buying imports but hinders exporters selling abroad. In the same way, changes in climate generate winners and losers. Some of global warming's effects will be disagreeable; others will be very welcome.

Worldwide, cold kills 20 times as many people as heat, so a warming planet will save lives. A plethora of data confirms the greater deadliness of cold weather, even in countries with very different climate patterns. One study of mortality rates, for example, found that deaths from cold outnumbered those from heat by a ratio of 33-to-2 in Australia, and 61-to-3 in Britain. Of 2,000 weather-related deaths in America tallied by the Centers for Disease Control, 63 percent were caused by excessive cold vs. 31 percent caused by excessive heat.

A warming planet will also be a greener planet. Is a greener planet. Rising levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere have already led to "persistent and widespread increase" in leaf cover - i.e., greening - across as much as half of the world's vegetated regions, according to a study published in Nature last year.

Read more at http://jewishworldreview.com/jeff/jacoby120717.php3

© Copyright Original Source

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

I've wondered about this exact possibility, in my ignorance. I'm interested to see what others have to say about it.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I'm still getting over the emotional trauma from when we were threatened as children with "the coming ice age". I get chills just thinking about it.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

People don't seem to realize that this earth goes through climate changes every now and again.

To blame it on human activity is the silly part.

We are currently enjoying an above average December, with hardly any snowfall since mid-November. But November was nasty, and October wasn't so great.

It's good.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Higher carbon dioxide percentage in the atmosphere will reduce damage from forest fires.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

So mossy and Jed actually geniuses for living in the Frozen North. Soon they will have beachfront property in a tropical resort location.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I'm still getting over the emotional trauma from when we were threatened as children with "the coming ice age". I get chills just thinking about it.
              Videos at my school depicted a kid needing a hazmat suit to simply go outside due to a combination of global warming, and destruction of the ozone layer. The prediction had it happening oh, about 5 years ago. So much for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                Videos at my school depicted a kid needing a hazmat suit to simply go outside due to a combination of global warming, and destruction of the ozone layer. The prediction had it happening oh, about 5 years ago. So much for that one.
                We had to worry about nookylur bombs you snowflake!

We wuz traumatized! I think we should get PTSD back pay.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  People don't seem to realize that this earth goes through climate changes every now and again.

To blame it on human activity is the silly part.

We are currently enjoying an above average December, with hardly any snowfall since mid-November. But November was nasty, and October wasn't so great.

It's good.
                  It's Jaltus' fault

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    We had to worry about nookylur bombs you snowflake!

We wuz traumatized! I think we should get PTSD back pay.
                    What, me worry?

alfred.jpg
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment