Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Yes. Mythicism Is Still A Joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes. Mythicism Is Still A Joke

Should mythicism be treated seriously?

The link can be found here.

-----

Should Mythicism be treated as a serious idea? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Over at New Testament scholar Larry Hurtado's blog, for some reason, Dr. Hurtado began writing about mythicism. I was curious to see what was said because NT scholars rarely say anything about mythicism for the same reason geologists would rarely say anything about Flat Earthers. The idea is simply considered a joke.*

There's good and bad sides to this. The good is that NT scholars do have much more important things to do than to get involved in internet squabbles. One can understand them not wanting to take their time to deal with an idea that they do not think should be taken seriously, and they're right. The bad is that sadly, people are uninformed and they do take it seriously. This is the kind of idea that spreads on college campuses and on the internet among people who don't know how to do history.*

Naturally, posting like this soon reaches the ears of prominent internet blogger Richard Carrier, the rare person who has a Ph.D. in a relevant field and holds to mythicism. Carrier takes the time to say that he wasn't going to engage one day because it was his birthday recently and there were orgies to be had. Others had responded, but it was time for him to take on Hurtado.

"Surely you're joking! You wouldn't write a serious piece interacting with a highly established NT scholar and talk about having orgies would you?"

Well, Richard Carrier would.

Carrier also showed up on Hurtado's blog, to which Hurtado didn't even blink at it, but simply pointed out that his reading was highly off. That was last night and I have seen nothing new today about it and Hurtado has said that he has much more important interests to deal with. Who can blame him?

As I said, the theory of mythicism is popular on the internet, but I think Hurtado could be right in that this is a last hurrah for mythicism, at least for now. While Carrier is the best the mythicist case has, it's not really saying much. Others in the field, both Christian and non-Christian, are looking and aren't really impressed. The only people that seem to be impressed are those who are already mythicists and atheists who want to hear what they already think.*

Such it is with conspiracy theorists. You can see conservative and liberal Facebook pages that will show claims that are easily shown to be false, but many people on each side want to believe what they already believe. Mythicism is just that. It's a conspiracy theory for atheists. The evidence can sound convincing and persuasive if you don't understand history, but once you do, the whole thing falls and we all see that the emperor has no clothes.

An interesting twist is that mythicism can be to history what solipsism is to philosophy. It's usually thought that when you get to solipsism in your philosophy, you've made a mistake somewhere. Mythicism can show us how history should be done by showing us how bad history is done. Perhaps this will further refine our criteria of history which I don't doubt will put Jesus in an even better light historically. After all, death could not defeat Him 2,000 years ago. There is no reason to think the historical method will today.

There have been stories of soldiers of Japan who were unaware that the war had ended decades earlier. So it is that we have many mythicists fighting a battle today unaware that the war is already over and that the historicity of Jesus is solid bedrock. Hopefully, more will see before too long that the battle is already done, but my concern is that there will still be eternal casualties with those who do not know realize the facade that they've been sold.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Mysticism and the pagan Christ thesis were what I grew up with. You got it right when you said that people are taught mysticism and that they do not know any better. College, reading apologetics, reading mythology, and knowing you guys has done a lot for me in more than just this field.

Does carrier not feel ashamed? I feel ashamed when I lust after women. God help him.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
      Mysticism and the pagan Christ thesis were what I grew up with. You got it right when you said that people are taught mysticism and that they do not know any better. College, reading apologetics, reading mythology, and knowing you guys has done a lot for me in more than just this field.

Does carrier not feel ashamed? I feel ashamed when I lust after women. God help him.
      He shows no indication of any shame, though he does strike me as insecure with having to brag about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
        He shows no indication of any shame, though he does strike me as insecure with having to brag about it.
        I felt uncomfortable telling folks about what tempts me. I figured folks would think I was a pervert. Even those that knew it felt awkward to tell. After the confession was done I felt better knowing they forgave me and prayed for me. My God it still tempts me.

I think you are right that he is insecure. Perhaps he deep down wants to avoid questions about the soul because he doesn't want a divine foot in the door. Yes it is almost kierkegaardian his aestheticism he may not even know he is in despair. Or perhaps like Dorian grey he knows and has hardened his own heart. God help him.
        sigpic

Comment

Seems to me that mythicism is a lazy person's argument. They don't want to deal with the actual points in theology or religion so they dismiss it all with a handwave.

Comment

How about now?

Comment

Mythicism is based on long discredited claims. It is like listening to a flat earth proponent but even dumber.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Mythicism is based on long discredited claims. It is like listening to a flat earth proponent but even dumber.
                How dare you disparage the intelligence of JimL and Tassman that way!
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                  Should mythicism be treated seriously?

The link can be found here.

-----

Should Mythicism be treated as a serious idea? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Over at New Testament scholar Larry Hurtado's blog, for some reason, Dr. Hurtado began writing about mythicism. I was curious to see what was said because NT scholars rarely say anything about mythicism for the same reason geologists would rarely say anything about Flat Earthers. The idea is simply considered a joke.*

There's good and bad sides to this. The good is that NT scholars do have much more important things to do than to get involved in internet squabbles. One can understand them not wanting to take their time to deal with an idea that they do not think should be taken seriously, and they're right. The bad is that sadly, people are uninformed and they do take it seriously. This is the kind of idea that spreads on college campuses and on the internet among people who don't know how to do history.*

Naturally, posting like this soon reaches the ears of prominent internet blogger Richard Carrier, the rare person who has a Ph.D. in a relevant field and holds to mythicism. Carrier takes the time to say that he wasn't going to engage one day because it was his birthday recently and there were orgies to be had. Others had responded, but it was time for him to take on Hurtado.

"Surely you're joking! You wouldn't write a serious piece interacting with a highly established NT scholar and talk about having orgies would you?"

Well, Richard Carrier would.

Carrier also showed up on Hurtado's blog, to which Hurtado didn't even blink at it, but simply pointed out that his reading was highly off. That was last night and I have seen nothing new today about it and Hurtado has said that he has much more important interests to deal with. Who can blame him?

As I said, the theory of mythicism is popular on the internet, but I think Hurtado could be right in that this is a last hurrah for mythicism, at least for now. While Carrier is the best the mythicist case has, it's not really saying much. Others in the field, both Christian and non-Christian, are looking and aren't really impressed. The only people that seem to be impressed are those who are already mythicists and atheists who want to hear what they already think.*

Such it is with conspiracy theorists. You can see conservative and liberal Facebook pages that will show claims that are easily shown to be false, but many people on each side want to believe what they already believe. Mythicism is just that. It's a conspiracy theory for atheists. The evidence can sound convincing and persuasive if you don't understand history, but once you do, the whole thing falls and we all see that the emperor has no clothes.

An interesting twist is that mythicism can be to history what solipsism is to philosophy. It's usually thought that when you get to solipsism in your philosophy, you've made a mistake somewhere. Mythicism can show us how history should be done by showing us how bad history is done. Perhaps this will further refine our criteria of history which I don't doubt will put Jesus in an even better light historically. After all, death could not defeat Him 2,000 years ago. There is no reason to think the historical method will today.

There have been stories of soldiers of Japan who were unaware that the war had ended decades earlier. So it is that we have many mythicists fighting a battle today unaware that the war is already over and that the historicity of Jesus is solid bedrock. Hopefully, more will see before too long that the battle is already done, but my concern is that there will still be eternal casualties with those who do not know realize the facade that they've been sold.

In Christ,
                  Nick Peters
                  Non-believers and athiests can easily make that same point Nick, i.e. that the only people that seem to be impressed with the idea that the bible is history are those who are already believers who want to hear what they already think. What it is in actuality is a myth woven through a history, unless you want to argue that long dead people really did climb out of their respective graves and conversed with the townspeople, or that thousands were fed with 1 fish, or that demons existed and that Jesus cast them out of people and into swine, or that the man jesus walked on water, or that he took off like a rocket ascending into outer space somewhere. Ya, I know, you do want to argue that, but it's just to silly for me waste my time arguing that point with you people any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    .. .. but it's just to silly for me waste my time arguing that point with you people any longer.
                    But you do not have any arguments, just assertions. I do not think this is a debate area take it to a forum that is.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      But you do not have any arguments, just assertions.
                      Actually I do have arguments. For one thing to believe such outlandish things in this day and age is absolute idiocy. For another, the bible itself is nothing but a bunch of assertions made by the authors and repeated by you.

Comment

Actually I do have arguments. For one thing to believe such outlandish things in this day and age is absolute idiocy. For another, the bible itself is nothing but a bunch of assertions made by the authors and repeated by you.
                        So is Herodotus. That doesn't stop the work from having historical value.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
                          So is Herodotus. That doesn't stop the work from having historical value.
                          Did he write about any long dead people who had climbed out of their graves to chit chat with the townspeople? We don't believe everything actual historians have written either.

Comment

Pure assertions, no arguments.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Yes. This is a debate forum. I encourage debate here.

Comment