Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homesick For Heaven

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Remonstrant View Post
    I honestly have concerns about making it there. It is also difficult to imagine an existence free of affliction. It is difficult to truly believe in the good news of a creation wholly restored. It is difficult to conceive of being completely free of sin and personal imperfection. And even my doubts are a manifestation of things that ought not be.
    I think the problem is that you're seeing this all from your perspective. God is greater than that. You know this.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

2. Amen LostSheep, Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    I don't know how one can be homesick for a place one has never been, but I really miss the New Heaven and New Earth. There is too much evil and injustice in this world. And death. And disease. And pain. And suffering. None of that bad stuff is in the New Creation.
    I honestly have concerns about making it there. It is also difficult to imagine an existence free of affliction. It is difficult to truly believe in the good news of a creation wholly restored. It is difficult to conceive of being completely free of sin and personal imperfection. And even my doubts are a manifestation of things that ought not be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think the problem is that you're seeing this all from your perspective. God is greater than that. You know this.
    Yes. I have also introduced the issue of the uncertainty of perseverance. The assurance of salvation is related to this. There will be a new heavens and new earth and God knows who will be there – regardless of who is finally included in that number. Will you or I make it there? Alas, this is for another thread.
    ‘To say that God deliberately brings about a sinful human race so that he may [unconditionally] elect some to salvation, and then deliberately sends the nonelect to hell so that his saving gace may appear all the more glorious, is the opposite of grace.’
    —Jack W. Cottrell, ‘Responses to Robert L. Reymond’, in Chad Owen Brand (ed.), Perspectives on Election: Five Views (Nashville, TN: B&H Academic, 2006), p. 202, emphasis in original

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes. I have also introduced the issue of the uncertainty of perseverance. The assurance of salvation is related to this. There will be a new heavens and new earth and God knows who will be there – regardless of who is finally included in that number. Will you or I make it there? Alas, this is for another thread.
    I'll be there. And Jesus will present me faultless to the Father, clothed in His own righteousness.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

5. Amen Christianbookworm, mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'll be there. And Jesus will present me faultless to the Father, clothed in His own righteousness.
    If one is presently united to Christ and remains united to him, then certainly he or she will attain eschatological salvation.
    ‘To say that God deliberately brings about a sinful human race so that he may [unconditionally] elect some to salvation, and then deliberately sends the nonelect to hell so that his saving gace may appear all the more glorious, is the opposite of grace.’
    —Jack W. Cottrell, ‘Responses to Robert L. Reymond’, in Chad Owen Brand (ed.), Perspectives on Election: Five Views (Nashville, TN: B&H Academic, 2006), p. 202, emphasis in original

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If one is presently united to Christ and remains united to him, then certainly he or she will attain eschatological salvation.
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

"I have written these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life".

I do.

8. Amen mossrose, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

"I have written these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life[.]"

I do.
    If you know that you are in Christ, that is certainly cause for rejoicing.

The text you cited above is 1 John 5:13. It speaks to having a present assurance of a present salvation. ‘Eternal life’ is only to be found in God’s Son (v. 11), and ‘The one who has the Son has the life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life’ (v. 12).* The assurance that an individual will inevitably persevere in the faith by maintaining his or her faith-union with Jesus Christ and attain salvation in the age to come is not here provided. The possibility that one may forsake Christ and thus no longer have the Son nor ‘the life’ is not negated. But as long as one is truly in Christ, he or she is safe.

I know that this has taken us far afield from the opening post. I do hope that, at some point, you will consider reading Robert Shank’s Life in the Son: A Study of the Doctrine of Perseverance (Minneapolis, MN: Bethany House, 1989). If read with an open mind, it strongly challenges the doctrine of eternal security (once saved, always saved).

* Lexham English Bible.

tWebber
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You are correct Christianbookworm, 'Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.'. My trust in Him is to such an extent now that my limited imagination takes pleasure in even conjuring up weak 'imaginings' filled with joyful hope of what is to come. It is indeed one of the finest ways I can spend any luxury time I have. I am so in love with my Lord, fear and love and awe. And all i wish is that His eye turn to me. That I may remember, in these earthly trials, many that they are that refine me, whom I serve. And to please Him, my Father. You have a lovely spirit, many of us are homesick. Precious sister St. Therese always felt like she was in exile on earth, we are pilgrims, on a boat, waiting to come to shore.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you know that you are in Christ, that is certainly cause for rejoicing.
    I am. And it is.