Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Homesick For Heaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

"I have written these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life[.]"

I do.
    If you know that you are in Christ, that is certainly cause for rejoicing.

The text you cited above is 1 John 5:13. It speaks to having a present assurance of a present salvation. ‘Eternal life’ is only to be found in God’s Son (v. 11), and ‘The one who has the Son has the life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life’ (v. 12).* The assurance that an individual will inevitably persevere in the faith by maintaining his or her faith-union with Jesus Christ and attain salvation in the age to come is not here provided. The possibility that one may forsake Christ and thus no longer have the Son nor ‘the life’ is not negated. But as long as one is truly in Christ, he or she is safe.

I know that this has taken us far afield from the opening post. I do hope that, at some point, you will consider reading Robert Shank’s Life in the Son: A Study of the Doctrine of Perseverance (Minneapolis, MN: Bethany House, 1989). If read with an open mind, it strongly challenges the doctrine of eternal security (once saved, always saved).

* Lexham English Bible.
    For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

You are correct Christianbookworm, 'Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.'. My trust in Him is to such an extent now that my limited imagination takes pleasure in even conjuring up weak 'imaginings' filled with joyful hope of what is to come. It is indeed one of the finest ways I can spend any luxury time I have. I am so in love with my Lord, fear and love and awe. And all i wish is that His eye turn to me. That I may remember, in these earthly trials, many that they are that refine me, whom I serve. And to please Him, my Father. You have a lovely spirit, many of us are homesick. Precious sister St. Therese always felt like she was in exile on earth, we are pilgrims, on a boat, waiting to come to shore.

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
        If you know that you are in Christ, that is certainly cause for rejoicing.
        I am. And it is.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I really want Jesus to come back. People keep doing evil! And I don't like mass murderers. May they be shamed for eternity! Or repent and come to Jesus for salvation!
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Still miss Jesus. Sure, I can pray, but that's not the same as speaking face to face.

Comment

And some divine intervention would be really great right now, but no matter whay, God is still in control.

Comment

God is still sovereign. And I am still looking forward to the new universe. Where everything will be renewed. Because this one is in need of serious renovation!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X