Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

If Moore Wins on Tuesday....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight
    Well, actually, truth be told, not even that. Simultaneous with the photo was a much more serious claim made by the woman in the photo that Al Franken had forced her into kissing him. That claim was always more serious than the photo.
    A forced kiss is nothing. And she pretty much said that she agreed to do the kiss, anyway. You leftists are really, really, really stupid if that bothers you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimbulb View Post
      The photo was not proof of any serious wrongdoing.
      Yes, because groping a sleeping woman while leering at the camera could never be considered serious wrongdoing.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
        A forced kiss is nothing.
        Wat? Anyone who forcibly kisses my wife or daughter better hope that I'm not armed in that instant.
        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
        Save me, save me"

Comment

It wasn't the sexual allegations that beat Moore. It was the black vote.

He should never have suggested getting rid of all the ammendments after the 10th (including the 12th about slavery).

Good riddance.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
            Wat? Anyone who forcibly kisses my wife or daughter better hope that I'm not armed in that instant.
            Yeah, a forced kiss is definitely not "nothing."
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

And I know he didn't mean it. Maybe not at least. However it did show that he had no idea what kind of people were going to vote for him. At least not all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                I've said it before, but I wouldn't have to protect my wife in a situation like that. I would, however, have to protect her assailant from her!
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I've said it before, but I wouldn't have to protect my wife in a situation like that. I would, however, have to protect her assailant from her!
                  I get you. In this house, someone would have to protect the assailant from both of us.
                  "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    ... does Al Franken renege on his promise to resign by end of year?
                    Franken urged to reverse his resignation

At least four senators are urging Al Franken to reconsider resigning, including two who issued statements calling for the resignation two weeks ago and said they now feel remorse over what they feel was a rush to judgment.

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), who urged Franken not to step down to begin with — at least not before he went through an Ethics Committee investigation — said the Minnesota senator was railroaded by fellow Democrats.

SO MUCH FOR THE MORAL HIGH GROUND: Top Democrats Change Their Minds On Franken, Want Him Not To Resign

Two weeks ago, when it appeared that Alabama Senate Republican candidate Roy Moore could cruise to victory despite credible allegations of molestation of a 14-year-old girl and a 16-year-old girl, Democrats went all-in on their #MeToo strategy: they decided to dump Sen. Al Franken (D-MN) on the side of the road to grab the moral high ground on sexual abuse. Franken reluctantly announced his resignation, all the while indignantly maintaining his innocence.

Then the voters of Alabama cast Moore out into the darkness. And the Democrats have no ability to claim the moral high ground — Moore isn’t around to use as a whipping post. Which means, of course, that top Democrats now want to walk back Franken’s resignation.

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) stated, “What they did to Al was atrocious, the Democrats.” He called Democratic attempts to oust Franken, “The most hypocritical thing I’ve ever seen done to a human being — and then have enough guts to sit on the floor, watch him give his speech and go over and hug him? That’s hypocrisy at the highest level I’ve ever seen in my life. Made me sick.”

Sen. Pat Leahy (D-VT), who called for Franken’s ouster, has secretly told Franken he regrets doing so, according to Politico. Two other senators who sided against Franken apparently told Politico the same thing.

Why? Because Democrats aren’t interested in wiping out sexual abuse. They were interested in the political hay to be made by pretending to care about doing so. With Moore out, that possibility is minimized. Now, Democrats could attempt to target President Trump over allegations of sexual abuse, but that strategy has little credibility after Bill Clinton, and it has little capacity to motivate after Trump was elected despite the presence of sexual harassment and abuse allegations. Democrats know that’s going nowhere, so why bother using it as an attack line against Trump?
                    So far, indications are that Franken is still planning on resigning in January, but that's still a couple weeks away. We shall see.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He is a slimeball and should still resign because:

A. it doesn't change the math. The next appointed senator will be a Dem. anyway.
                      B. he is a slimeball.
                      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

Franken urged to reverse his resignation

SO MUCH FOR THE MORAL HIGH GROUND: Top Democrats Change Their Minds On Franken, Want Him Not To Resign

So far, indications are that Franken is still planning on resigning in January, but that's still a couple weeks away. We shall see.
                        Just another demonstration of the split in the Democratic party between the center-left and the progressives. The center-left are supporting Franken and the progressives want him gone. Whether or not Franken resigns will indicate which side is winning.

I'm less confident of him resigning than a couple weeks ago. He may be thinking he can simply wait out the storm.
                        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

OK, looks more likely he'll actually resign...

Franken to resign in early January

Sen. Al Franken will step down on Jan. 2, a spokesman for the Minnesota Democrat said Wednesday.

Franken announced earlier this month that he would resign from the Senate in the face of sexual harassment allegations. But he did not announce a date for when he would officially leave the chamber.

Franken came under fire last month after multiple women accused him of inappropriately touching them. One woman said the comedian-turned-politician forcibly kissed her and groped her during a USO tour in 2006.

The allegations against Franken prompted numerous Democrats in the Senate to call for his resignation. The Senate Ethics Committee launched a probe into the allegations last month.

In a defiant speech on the Senate floor earlier this month, Franken said he was confident that the ethics investigation would clear his name. But he said that he could not adequately represent his constituents while going through the Ethics Committee process, and announced that he would resign "in the coming weeks."

“I may be resigning my seat, but I am not giving up my voice. I will continue to stand up for the things I believe in as a citizen and as an activist,” he said. “The Minnesotans deserve a senator who can focus with all her energy on addressing the challenges they face every day.”
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This seemed the appropriate thread to put this, though "Tuesday" is long since gone, and the results are well known. But apparently, some of Moore's supporters approached the lawyer of the woman who first accused him, and offered him money and access to Bannon and Trump if he would a) dump her as a client, and b) claim he didn't believe her. The goal was to "cloud" the issue as much as possible.

The lawyer has recordings and texts to back up his claims. What I don't understand is why he didn't come forward with this immediately.
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                              This seemed the appropriate thread to put this, though "Tuesday" is long since gone, and the results are well known. But apparently, some of Moore's supporters approached the lawyer of the woman who first accused him, and offered him money and access to Bannon and Trump if he would a) dump her as a client, and b) claim he didn't believe her. The goal was to "cloud" the issue as much as possible.

The lawyer has recordings and texts to back up his claims. What I don't understand is why he didn't come forward with this immediately.
                              Maybe he was hoping the bribe would increase?

Comment

Maybe he was hoping the bribe would increase?
                                Right...
                                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment