Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Explosion reported at Port Authority tunnel in New York City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explosion reported at Port Authority tunnel in New York City

Yeah, it's the Daily Mail, so we'll watch for other sources...

There are reports of a possible terror attack in New York City.

An explosion was felt around 6:30am Monday morning in a Subway station near the Port Authority bus terminal in Midtown Manhattan - just blocks from Times Square.

The FDNY said they located a device near the passageway between the A and 1 trains, and that it's possible this was a terror attack.

Police have taken one man into custody, who was allegedly wearing a device with wires on him.

It's unclear if there have been any victims, but there are dozens of ambulances in the area.

Law enforcement agencies have responded to the scene and have set up a perimeter around the area.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Here's another source - from NPR

Explosion Reported In New York City, Triggering Evacuations In Subway

New York police are responding to "reports of an explosion of unknown origin" in midtown Manhattan, at a location one block west of Times Square.

Shortly before 8 a.m. ET, police said a blast was reported at 42nd Street and 8th Avenue, adding that in the city's subway system, "The A, C and E line are being evacuated at this time."

The police also say that the information "is preliminary" at this point.

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio's office says that he has been briefed about the incident, adding, "The NYPD, FDNY and first responders are on the scene."

This is a breaking news story. As often happens in situations like these, some information reported early may turn out to be inaccurate. We'll move quickly to correct the record and we'll only point to the best information we have at the time.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The Daily Mail story has been updated and they're calling it a botched "terrorist attack" and reporting that

"A 27-year-old Bangladeshi national has been taken into custody with serious injuries after a suspected pipe bomb he was carrying malfunctioned and exploded prematurely inside a Midtown Manhattan subway station Monday morning."

And

"Police have taken one man into custody, who was wearing a pipe bomb with wires and a battery back, a source told the New York Post. He was injured when the bomb malfunctioned, but is alive and in stable condition, according to the FDNY."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Fortunately, just because somebody is full of hate and wants to kill people doesn't mean they're good at making bombs. Sounds like this guy injured himself, and I haven't heard of any "target" casualties.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Fortunately, just because somebody is full of hate and wants to kill people doesn't mean they're good at making bombs. Sounds like this guy injured himself, and I haven't heard of any "target" casualties.
          Years ago the Brits got pretty good at triggering bombs being made by the IRA remotely while they were being stored and transported killing several of the bomb makers in the process. FWIU they shared some of the technical knowledge with Spanish authorities who employed the methods with some success against terrorists among the Basque separatists.

I would like to think that a similar operation was responsible here.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ever wonder why God doesn't turn these guys into a pillar of salt before they can do any damage?

Comment

Fortunately, just because somebody is full of hate and wants to kill people .....
              Or maybe he just loves his crazy God.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

He basically just blew himself up!

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment