Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Trump to start process of sending Americans back to moon - White House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I think he's reacting to post #12, where HMS_Beagle expressed a preference for automation.
    Bots are all well and good, but not everything about space exploration is about pure science. Some of it is the achievement of certain things. Boots on Mars would be quite inspirational to watch. I'd definitely watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Bots are all well and good, but not everything about space exploration is about pure science. Some of it is the achievement of certain things. Boots on Mars would be quite inspirational to watch. I'd definitely watch it.
      I also tend to think that if we really want to know about the history of mars, it's geology, the potential of life in the past or the present, we will need boots on the ground as well. It's just too far for any sort of 'remote driver' via a VR setup and robotics to allow the presence of a 'virtual' person. The transmission round trip delay is 4 minutes to 42 minutes depending on the mars/earth relative position.

Jim
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-11-2017, 10:55 PM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Ah - so that's where they come from. Everything makes sense now.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              A lunar base could be useful. Think of the telescope you could put there with 1/6 g and no atmosphere. Not sure if mining would be profitable. (The moon is a harsh mistress) Solar arrays to beam power back to earth? I think we should be exploring,pushing the boundaries. Space is the next great frontier. We should be out there making it work for us. Maybe we can't, but if we don't try it is guaranteed we can't.

Jim
              Which is why we need to encourage private companies. They will work for profit. NASA can't do that, so it will always just be a few scientists doing whatever. But if private enterprise gets involved and finds a way to exploit space, we will have a rapid expansion into space industries.

Comment

I'm apparently one of about 3 people who liked the Obama era NASA idea of an asteroid return. Yes, it's not as glamorous as the moon or Mars. But it had 3 things going for it:

Asteroids preserve material as it originally existed in the disk that formed our solar system, and so tell us something about the history of every body in the solar system.
                We will probably ultimately want to return asteroids to earth in order to extract their resources.
                We will probably eventually want to build asteroid bases to avoid having to go into and out of the huge gravity wells of other planets and large moons.

So for me, it seemed to be the most forward looking idea to come out of NASA in ages. But it's not glamorous or high profile, so it died a quick political death. (It was also probably a non-starter due to the persistent underfunding of NASA.)
                "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Which is why we need to encourage private companies. They will work for profit. NASA can't do that, so it will always just be a few scientists doing whatever. But if private enterprise gets involved and finds a way to exploit space, we will have a rapid expansion into space industries.
                  we definately have more commercial involvement than at any time previous. I guess we need to find out what kinds of mineral wealth exist on the moon, on mars, and on the asteroids, especially those that come close to Earth.

Going to an asteroid to get stuff is good. There just needs to be enough recoverable material there that it can return more $$$ than it costs to get it.

jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    we definately have more commercial involvement than at any time previous. I guess we need to find out what kinds of mineral wealth exist on the moon, on mars, and on the asteroids, especially those that come close to Earth.

Going to an asteroid to get stuff is good. There just needs to be enough recoverable material there that it can return more $$$ than it costs to get it.

jim
                    Gold Rush: Asteroid Edition. Todd Hoffman and his crew try their hand at mining gold on an asteroid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Gold Rush: Asteroid Edition. Todd Hoffman and his crew try their hand at mining gold on an asteroid.
                      Might be feasible, but it will require a high degree of automation. The mining robots would have to be able to repair and refuel themselves out there, mostly out of insitu materials. Tall order, but an exciting mega-engineering project.

Wonder how you'll claim mining rights out there?

Comment

Might be feasible, but it will require a high degree of automation. The mining robots would have to be able to repair and refuel themselves out there, mostly out of insitu materials. Tall order, but an exciting mega-engineering project.

By being the first and only!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't know, but I already have the poster whipped up!

Gold Rush Space.jpg

Comment

Of course, the REAL reason we don't go back to the moon is this actual documentary including an alleged photo employee who was told by "somebody high up" (or maybe she meant high on something) that aliens inhabit the moon....
                            Plus, there are lots of photos in the documentary that, if you stare at them long enough, you can imagine all kinds of stuff.

This is serious, kids!

Besides, I think that's a computer generated voice reading the script, so --- this is legit!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Of course, the REAL reason we don't go back to the moon is this actual documentary including an alleged photo employee who was told by "somebody high up" (or maybe she meant high on something) that aliens inhabit the moon....
                              Plus, there are lots of photos in the documentary that, if you stare at them long enough, you can imagine all kinds of stuff.

This is serious, kids!

Besides, I think that's a computer generated voice reading the script, so --- this is legit!!!!
                              "the DARK side of the moon?" sounds legit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

This is serious, kids!

I've seen Transformers, I know why we really went to the moon in the first place and why we aren't going back.
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment