Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is it Illegal to Stand Up in Federal Building Lobbies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it Illegal to Stand Up in Federal Building Lobbies?

I was helping a homeless gentlemen "redocument" himself - he had been robbed of his wallet, anything providing identity, and had kinda fallen into a state of hopelessness.

It's a real bummer trying to prove who you are when you can't prove who you are.

We started at the county courthouse to get him a new birth certificate, but as much as that clerk wanted to help, all (I'll call him Jimmy) had to prove who he was was a faded copy of an expired out-of-state drivers license.

He was on probation for a fight he had with his brother (domestic violence - in my day we called that 'family') so we went to his probation office to see if we could get anything from them verifying who he was. After quite a bit of discussion, the receptionist said, "I can't give you anything to take over there, but I can email her something that might help".

We went back to the courthouse, and the clerk was smiling, and said she could now print a copy of his birth certificate from his birth county. YAY!!!!

Next, we went to DPS where he was going to apply for a State ID. The lady there was very helpful, looked him up in the system, and said, "you actually have an expired Texas driver's license - it would be quicker and cheaper to renew that". (He thought he forfeited his Texas DL when he acquired the out-of-state one)

Now, armed with an actual birth certificate AND a temporary proof of a Texas driver's license, we headed off to the local Social Security office.

That's where things went south.

They have an armed guard who acts as the welcoming committee. He's like the worst TSA employee you've ever met only 10 times more controlling and grouchy, and with a gun.

He growled at us that we have to sign in, then go sit down and watch the monitor for our "next" status. It was obviously going to be a long wait.

At one point, I noticed a kiosk that said "Online Self Help Here", and a computer terminal that appeared to be for public use. I suggested we check that out, and we sat down at the terminal. Mister Prison Guard was on us instantly, barking that he was going to have to tell "them" that we are on the computer, implying we would lose our place in line. I asked him if, in fact, we would lose our place in line, and he barked again "I'm going to tell them you're on the computer".

So, AGAIN I asked - will we lose our place in line if we try to find our answer here? He grunted, "no", and at that moment, one of "them" appeared at the window - a VERY nice lady who asked us what we were looking for, and very politely informed us that was not one of the things the kiosk computer would be able to do. I smiled, thanked her, and told her we would wait for our turn in line.

By this time, my back was aching, and I stood up to stretch. Mr Prison Guard was on me in an instant, ordering me to go outside if I want to stand up, but if I wanted to stay inside, I had to sit down. Say WHAT?!?!?!?!

I asked him, "Are you SERIOUS?" He repeated - "If you want to stand up - go out side (it was 35 degrees and windy) or sit down in the lobby".

SO....

I have been trying to find out if there is any written policy or law or any other kind authority for this !$#!^!^!% to make such a demand. Jimmy's number was called, and the lady was able to help him out in about 30 seconds, and we were getting ready to leave.

I WANTED to ask that guard "or what"? I have to sit down or WHAT? You're going to ARREST me? Beat me up? Shoot me?

I'm trying to figure out what legal authority he would have to enforce a "you have to sit down if you are in the lobby" policy. Or who does the SSA use for their security - the guy was armed, so, in Texas, that would have to be a certified police officer or federal officer or something. You cannot be in a federal building with a gun in Texas (or, I would imagine, in any state) unless you are a certified peace officer.

I've seen on Facebook where this same prison guard has demanded that mothers must not have bottle water, or they can't feed their babies, or they can't let their children stand up....

I really wonder what would happen if I had refused to sit down or go outside. And, yes, I wrote an official letter of complaint to the local SSA administrator.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Sounds like a Nazi! you should have punched him!

Comment

We need the facebook link!!

Comment

Sounds like the security guard was suffering from what I call the "little person behind a big desk" syndrome.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

This sort of thing is one reason I'm more libertarian than conservative.

My dad was a judge ("District Magistrate," at the time) and had lots of friends and acquaintances in law enforcement. THEY THEMSELVES had a saying that "that little piece of metal" (the badge) "is pretty thin" -- meaning a lot of times there is not much difference between the criminal in front of it and the officer wearing it.

Not that you and your friend were criminals, of course, but you get the point.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Sounds like a Nazi! you should have punched him!
            It was truly hard being "Christian" when he was being such a jerk.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Sounds like the security guard was suffering from what I call the "little person behind a big desk" syndrome.
              And worse - with a gun!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                This sort of thing is one reason I'm more libertarian than conservative.

My dad was a judge ("District Magistrate," at the time) and had lots of friends and acquaintances in law enforcement. THEY THEMSELVES had a saying that "that little piece of metal" (the badge) "is pretty thin" -- meaning a lot of times there is not much difference between the criminal in front of it and the officer wearing it.

Not that you and your friend were criminals, of course, but you get the point.
                I do. But the fact is, he basically was treating us like criminals.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  It was truly hard being "Christian" when he was being such a jerk.
                  An excellent example of what Jesus intended when he told us to turn the other cheek. Let the the man berate you and treat you like a jerk. He tells you to stand outside in the freezing weather for 5-minutes, you do it for 10. Others in the vicinity know what's up, and who knows, he might even feel slightly ashamed of himself when he sees their disapproving looks.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    An excellent example of what Jesus intended when he told us to turn the other cheek. Let the the man berate you and treat you like a jerk.
                    He basically did, and I pretty much ignored it, except to ask if he was really serious.

He tells you to stand outside in the freezing weather for 5-minutes, you do it for 10. Others in the vicinity know what's up, and who knows, he might even feel slightly ashamed of himself when he sees their disapproving looks.
                    By that time, Jimmy was done getting his information, and we were leaving.

Comment

Sounds like a real jerk. Had met plenty of those in the TSA.

On time they forced me to endure a "pat down" while in a wheelchair, and despite the fact that I had a signed document from my doctor warning against it. Can't remember if I did pass out, or just nearly did from the pain. Then there were the crazy regulations on medicine, and they told us one was registered as an explosive*. We quit flying for quite a few reasons. It ended up being less painful just to drive all day for two days than to fly for a few hours one day.

*It was a prescription given by my dermatologist, and was in tiny container.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                        Sounds like a real jerk. Had met plenty of those in the TSA.

On time they forced me to endure a "pat down" while in a wheelchair, and despite the fact that I had a signed document from my doctor warning against it. Can't remember if I did pass out, or just nearly did from the pain. Then there were the crazy regulations on medicine, and they told us one was registered as an explosive*. We quit flying for quite a few reasons. It ended up being less painful just to drive all day for two days than to fly for a few hours one day.

*It was a prescription given by my dermatologist, and was in tiny container.
                        On our flight to Israel, we had a stopover in New York. The TSA people treated my wife like she was a criminal, because she has titanium knees, and "registered" on the scan. The Brunhilda who groped her, then had her stand in her sock feet near an open doorway where snow was blowing in, kept barking orders at her, and as I tried to offer my wife her shoes, this heartless woman literally yelled at me to stand back.

I walked over to another TSA guy who looked like he was somewhat higher rank, and said, "Sir, can you please call a supervisor here". The guy gave me a very sympathetic look and said, "yes sir, I already have, and one is on the way".

When the supervisor got there, she very quickly and efficiently cleared my wife, apologized for the inconvenience, and sent us on our way.

THEN we got to the El Al terminal, where the Israeli security were the most polite and humane people we had met on the trip -- peppering us with questions, obviously doing "the screening", but in a most amicable manner.

What a MAJOR difference from our "professionals".

Comment

On our flight to Israel, we had a stopover in New York. The TSA people treated my wife like she was a criminal, because she has titanium knees, and "registered" on the scan. The Brunhilda who groped her, then had her stand in her sock feet near an open doorway where snow was blowing in, kept barking orders at her, and as I tried to offer my wife her shoes, this heartless woman literally yelled at me to stand back.

I walked over to another TSA guy who looked like he was somewhat higher rank, and said, "Sir, can you please call a supervisor here". The guy gave me a very sympathetic look and said, "yes sir, I already have, and one is on the way".

When the supervisor got there, she very quickly and efficiently cleared my wife, apologized for the inconvenience, and sent us on our way.

THEN we got to the El Al terminal, where the Israeli security were the most polite and humane people we had met on the trip -- peppering us with questions, obviously doing "the screening", but in a most amicable manner.

What a MAJOR difference from our "professionals".
                          Wish we had had people like the latter group for when we did need to travel so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                            Wish we had had people like the latter group for when we did need to travel so much.
                            They aren't afraid to profile. And their safety record is top notch.

Comment

They aren't afraid to profile. And their safety record is top notch.
                              Yeah, the "random search" thing doesn't seem to work out very well. My brother got picked out randomly because they were afraid to profile, obviously it didn't accomplish much. I'm thinking he was somewhere between 8 and 10 at the time.

Comment