Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Daniel Shavers killer walks free.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel Shavers killer walks free.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...-was-murdered/

Disclaimer: Explitives used by cop. Fatal shooting of innocent man depicted.

The verdict is now in. Shooting an unarmed man, who is on the floor and sobbing, while being taunted by the officer (who is clearly on a power trip), is perfectly legal in the US.

This video btw is another argument for body cams. I'm sorry, I'm just flapper-gasted at this. The officer got off because Daniel Shaver readjusted his pants. Its ridiculous.

One Bad Pig and Cow Poke, can you really defend what is going on in this video? How could a guy like this, stay on the force, for so long, without getting the boot? How can it be legal for an officer to do something like this to an innocent man?

Darth Ex and Mountain Man aren't welcome in this thread.
    Last edited by Leonhard; 12-11-2017, 02:26 PM.

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    The officer got off because Daniel Shaver readjusted his pants.
    How were the officers to know he wasn't reaching for a weapon? The jury obviously felt there was reasonable doubt.

Edit: Apparently I was excluded from this thread via edit while composing my response.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 12-11-2017, 02:36 PM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

That was just horrible...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        How were the officers to know he wasn't reaching for a weapon? The jury obviously felt there was reasonable doubt.

Edit: Apparently I was excluded from this thread via edit while composing my response.
        Groan, well you got me, I can't keep you out now. Sorry Mountain Man, I've taken a long absence from TWeb and I doubt I'll be as active again. I think you have insightful points sometimes, but I don't want to get into a bad space again.

Darth Ex is still booted.

Comment

Groan, well you got me, I can't keep you out now. Sorry Mountain Man, I've taken a long absence from TWeb and I doubt I'll be as active again. I think you have insightful points sometimes, but I don't want to get into a bad space again.

Darth Ex is still booted.
          Screw it let everyone in. Bad decision of me to have anyone be left out. I just haven't had my tweb filters anymore (new laptop) and haven't bothered putting him on in my absence.
          Last edited by Leonhard; 12-11-2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

The kid was confused and scared. And I'm sorry that cop was an Edited by a Moderator.
            Moderated By: rogue06

Please refrain from using inappropriate words

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by rogue06; 02-04-2018, 11:16 AM.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

http://And I&#39;m sorry that cop was an...&bull;</span>.

That's an offense to all the honest a-holes out there. This guy abused his power. His voice is quite gleeful as he taunts the guy about "making another mistake", that he will kill him.

He got told to crawl along the floor, which presumable relaxed the requirement to keep his hands up (common sense), and tried to adjust his pants to save just a small amount of dignity in the situation.

Shot dead. Cop walks free.
              Moderated By: rogue06

Please stop repeating the word used by seer

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
              Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by rogue06; 02-04-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

If you're going to solicit my input in a thread, please send me a PM so I see it.

I'm not sure why you think I would defend the police officer's actions in the video. As a number of the readers point out (and Rod Dreher acknowledges), he had justifiable cause to shoot, but what he did up to that point was reprehensible. Unfortunately, not all police officers are above reproach.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  If you're going to solicit my input in a thread, please send me a PM so I see it.

I'm not sure why you think I would defend the police officer's actions in the video. As a number of the readers point out (and Rod Dreher acknowledges), he had justifiable cause to shoot, but what he did up to that point was reprehensible. Unfortunately, not all police officers are above reproach.
                  I admit to being emotionally affected by this. I'm an autist. In a high stress situation like that, I'd try my best to follow orders but I'd get confused quickly. I wouldn't do any better, and apparently I'd get shot. I'd die in that situation. So if I go to the US, apparently I should stay as far away from cops as I can?

But isn't this officer above reproach? He only got fired because of politics. Can we really kid ourselves that this cop would be fired if he hadn't been wearing a body cam? I just don't get how he can stay on the force for as long as he did.

How can someone not be fired, as a cop, for writing "You're <explitive>" on his rifle. That's not exactly the mindset you'd want to see in an officer.

Comment

Cop needs to be shot. And presumably all eight jurors will now have the curse of God over their lives.

Comment

I admit to being emotionally affected by this.
                      I'm glad you concede this. Personally, I haven't watched the video because of the emotional reaction it seems to be causing in people, and that's not something I want to subject myself to, but I also suspect that it's coloring people's perception of this incident. Just standing back and looking at it objectively, it seems to be me that whatever else the officer might be guilty of, he had probable cause in this instance to think his life was in danger. To try and draw any conclusions beyond what the basic facts show is to claim to be able to read the officer's mind.

Mind you, I'm not trying to downplay the tragedy of it. It's a horrible situation that probably could have and should have been avoided.
                      Last edited by Mountain Man; 12-11-2017, 03:13 PM.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                        Cop needs to be shot. And presumably all eight jurors will now have the curse of God over their lives.
                        I can't forget the guy who managed to delay the judging of Walter Scotts killer. "I'll never convict a police officer."

Comment

I admit to being emotionally affected by this. I'm an autist. In a high stress situation like that, I'd try my best to follow orders but I'd get confused quickly. I wouldn't do any better, and apparently I'd get shot. I'd die in that situation. So if I go to the US, apparently I should stay as far away from cops as I can?

But isn't this officer above reproach? He only got fired because of politics. Can we really kid ourselves that this cop would be fired if he hadn't been wearing a body cam? I just don't get how he can stay on the force for as long as he did.

How can someone not be fired, as a cop, for writing "You're <explitive>" on his rifle. That's not exactly the mindset you'd want to see in an officer.
                          To me, it seems like that cop was prolonging the whole encounter until the kid made a mistake. I would have just walked up and handcuffed him from the get go...

Comment

I'm glad you concede this. Personally, I haven't watched the video because of the emotional reaction it seems to be causing in people, and that's not something I want to subject myself to, but I also suspect that it's coloring people's perception of this incident. Just standing back and looking at it objectively, it seems to be me that whatever else the officer might be guilty of, he had probable cause in this instance to think his life was in danger. To try and draw any conclusions beyond what the basic facts show is to claim to be able to read the officer's mind.

Mind you, I'm not trying to downplay the tragedy of it. It's a horrible situation that probably could have and should have been avoided.
                            Two things strikes me. They come from the same place that the "invisible law written on our hearts" tell me about other moral laws. Not an infallible place mind you. We're all darkened by sin. I just have an unshakable instinctive feeling that something about that situation is very wrong. And the explanations for why the shooting was fair doesn't calm that down. At the very least the behaviour of the officer, but also the shooting.

It seems more than a tragedy. It feels in-just that he was shot. Something is very wrong for this to happen.

I don't understand how this can happen. I really don't. I know there's apparently an escalation of violence in the US between cops and citizens, both sides getting better weapons and better training with dealing with each other. So cops have to be more on their feet, and an innocent blue collar worker here, who really just tried to pull an idiotic prank at work, pays with his life.

I know I wouldn't fare any better. I'd get catatonic in that situation and if I tried to move or do anything because I was yelled to do so, I doubt I'd do the right thing. I wish I was more of a human being so I could stand up and be a cool calm collected cucumber. But I'd be catatonic, and if yelled at to move (or be shot) or whatever, I'd probably do something wrong like this guy. And die.

That doesn't seem right.

Comment

The Bible allows the death penalty just for (recklessly) letting out a dangerous ox that kills someone. This cop toyed with the man, then said that he was going to kill him, and then killed him. Not a hard case at all.

Not only that, but you can clearly see in the video that the victim's hand doesn't have any gun in it.

Comment