Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Doug Jones beats Roy Moore for Senate seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    It might be a good thing, I liked Moore, but he was off the rails. And Jones will be out of office in two years...
    Actually 3 years, thankful of the blessing.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Also, JimL, what does it tell you that against an alleged pedophile, Jones only won by only 1.5%??? That shows Jones was not exactly the shoe-in winner. If he had gone up against any other republican who did not have the allegations, he would have lost big.
      There's also the fact that the Jones campaign outspent Moore by a huge margin (some reports put it as high as 10-to-1), thanks in large part to generous contributions from George Soros.

I'm curious about whether or not this election is going to be audited, and if they will find any significant "irregularities" in Jones' favor?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Actually 3 years, thankful of the blessing.
        During which he has the choice of keeping his campaign promises to Alabama, or joining the Democrats in their "resistance". It will be interesting to watch.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I bet a lot of Republicans in the Senate are breathing a sigh of relief.
          The thing about his not-quite-sex scandal I dislike most is that it took the spotlight off of the real reason, IMHO, the Senate didn't want him.

Moore was suspended twice from the Alabama Supreme Court for ignoring federal rulings, including a ruling from the US Supreme Court. You can't work with someone like that.

On the bright side for everyone, well, except MM maybe, is how this election served to defang Bannon.

Breitbart handed this election to the Democrat.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
            The thing about his not-quite-sex scandal I dislike most is that it took the spotlight off of the real reason, IMHO, the Senate didn't want him.

Moore was suspended twice from the Alabama Supreme Court for ignoring federal rulings, including a ruling from the US Supreme Court. You can't work with someone like that.

On the bright side for everyone, well, except MM maybe, is how this election served to defang Bannon.

Breitbart handed this election to the Democrat.
            I think both sides will be seeing the lessons they want to see in this for some time to come. And when it comes time for Jones to run on his own, it will all come up again - hopefully minus the "not-quite-sex scandal" factor.

In my own statement about Republicans secretly sighing relief.... I'm conscious that might sound like sour grapes or something.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, you think the Democrats, who already hated Trump with a passion, somehow decided it was time to start hating Trump? I hope that sounded better in your head.
              Democratics came out to vote in droves, Republicans stayed home. That should tell you something about their respective opinions concerning the Trump/Bannon/Moore agenda. Not to mention their character!

Comment

Imagine the hooting and hollering and drama that would continue to come from the left if Moore had won. I bet a lot of Republicans in the Senate are breathing a sigh of relief.
                Imagine all the hooting and hollering and drama coming from republicans had Moore won. But I agree, I'll bet a lot of republicans are breathing a sigh of relief as well. It was a lose lose situation for them.

Comment

Because the women want justice and the truth to come out and be vindicated? If they disappear they are saying they were making it up. Besides, at this point Moore is not going to let it go if the allegations were false. He would have an excellent defamation lawsuit.
                  No, they wanted people voting to know the kind of man they know Moore to be. Besides, they didn't come forward on there own, the media followed the rumors and sought them out. And if you think Moore or Trump, as he promised to do, is going to sue their accusers, I have some marsh land down here in Florida for you that I'm willing to let go of on the cheap.
                  Also, JimL, what does it tell you that against an alleged pedophile, Jones only won by only 1.5%??? That shows Jones was not exactly the shoe-in winner. If he had gone up against any other republican who did not have the allegations, he would have lost big.
                  Well, one thing it tells me is what a bunch of hypocrites the evangelicals down there are. They voted for Moore "bigly". But it also tells me that when democrats get out the vote, when democrats get motivated, they can win anywhere, and we have Trump and the rest of the corrupt far right republican knuckleheads in congress to thank for waking them up.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    No, they wanted people voting to know the kind of man they know Moore to be. Besides, they didn't come forward on there own, the media followed the rumors and sought them out. And if you think Moore or Trump, as he promised to do, is going to sue their accusers, I have some marsh land down here in Florida for you that I'm willing to let go of on the cheap.

Well, one thing it tells me is what a bunch of hypocrites the evangelicals down there are. They voted for Moore "bigly". But it also tells me that when democrats get out the vote, when democrats get motivated, they can win anywhere, and we have Trump and the rest of the corrupt far right republican knuckleheads in congress to thank for waking them up.
                    You live in your own special world, don't you Jim?

Comment

Imagine all the hooting and hollering and drama coming from republicans had Moore won.
                      Meh, I think most of us realize the can of worms that opens.

But I agree,
                      Just about any time you say that, you're about to do a major misrepresentation of what it is with you claim to be agreeing.

I'll bet a lot of republicans are breathing a sigh of relief as well. It was a lose lose situation for them.
                      This might be a notable exception - we might actually agree on this.

Comment

... the media followed the rumors and sought them out.....
                        Yeah, cause it's the job of the media to search after rumors.

Comment

Yeah, cause it's the job of the media to search after rumors.
                          Dah, yeah, thats what journalists do CP. sheesh!

Comment

Your type of journalists anyway. Most real journalists search for and report facts.

Comment

Which is why the public is losing trust in them so quickly. They should be seeking out TRUTH, not following after rumors.

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Americans' trust and confidence in the mass media "to report the news fully, accurately and fairly" has dropped to its lowest level in Gallup polling history, with 32% saying they have a great deal or fair amount of trust in the media. This is down eight percentage points from last year.

dkvnto6zb0kw5c0shdj57q.png

Comment

Your type of journalists anyway. Most real journalists search for and report facts.
                                Perhaps this is why Jimmy believes that Rachel Maddow is a for really journalist!

Comment