Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Doug Jones beats Roy Moore for Senate seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Which is why the public is losing trust in them so quickly. They should be seeking out TRUTH, not following after rumors.
    And, lest anybody should think it's only the "Republicans against fake news" that think this.... from that same article...

_fnglfgxdee9m2vdnmh1ma.jpg
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Which is why the public is losing trust in them so quickly. They should be seeking out TRUTH, not following after rumors.
      I won't say that you couldn't be this dumb, because obviously you are. When journalists are hit with rumors, then they seek out the facts.
      [box]WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Americans' trust and confidence in the mass media "to report the news fully, accurately and fairly" has dropped to its lowest level in Gallup polling history, with 32% saying they have a great deal or fair amount of trust in the media. This is down eight percentage points from last year.
      Well of course, people like you are very susceptible to propaganda so when a demagogue wants to rid himself of the media so that he can screw you over, you are easily swayed by his demagoguery that you should trust only him, never trust the media.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        I won't say that you couldn't be this dumb, because obviously you are.

Well of course, people like you are very susceptible to propaganda so when a demagogue wants to rid himself of the media so that he can screw you over, you are easily swayed by his demagoguery that you should trust only him, never trust the media.
        Woah, Jimmy... a hatefilled rant! I suspected that might be coming, which is why I posted the other graph showing it's not just Republicans.

_fnglfgxdee9m2vdnmh1ma.jpg

And age groups...

3tq9inhrquecdyh0rjjtua.jpg
        Last edited by Cow Poke; 12-13-2017, 09:54 AM.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What’s important for good journalism?

1. Background. What do you already know about all the people and history of events leading up to the current situation? Motivation? Follow the money? Who got fired, etc?

2. What can you corroborate? Is the source reliable?

3. The facts?

4. What do the facts mean? Interpretation of (facts + background).

If all you do is report facts, then you leave it to someone else to interpret them for you – like Trump does when he shouts, “FAKE NEWS”? No, the facts are just the latest episode of the story that the journalist tries to explain.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            I won't say that you couldn't be this dumb, because obviously you are. When journalists are hit with rumors, then they seek out the facts.
            You do quite an impressive job of taking lack of self-awareness to a whole 'nother level, Jim.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              What’s important for good journalism?

1. Background. What do you already know about all the people and history of events leading up to the current situation? Motivation? Follow the money? Who got fired, etc?
              The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Not just selective bits and pieces that fit your agenda.

2. What can you corroborate? Is the source reliable?

3. The facts?
              Good so far...

4. What do the facts mean? Interpretation of (facts + background).
              And, here, you open the door wide to bias, opinion, commentary, conjecture...

If all you do is report facts, then you leave it to someone else to interpret them for you – like Trump does when he shouts, “FAKE NEWS”? No, the facts are just the latest episode of the story that the journalist tries to explain.
              Um.... the media seems to be doing a pretty good job of playing right into Trump's "FAKE NEWS" narrative.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                Hillary?
                FIFY n/c

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

In my own statement about Republicans secretly sighing relief.... I'm conscious that might sound like sour grapes or something.
                  I'm having troubles processing how that could sound like sour grapes.

Cause I'm sighing with relief, too.

My liberal friends ... who think of me as some kind of radical right winger because I have nice things to say about Reagan, and GHW, and even Bush the Lesser ... are squealing with glee right now.

Straight offa my pal d's FB page, starting with her OP:
                  WAY TO GO, ALABAMA! YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

you just renewed my faith in humanity
                  and that ain't no small thang

and ...
                  I'm screaming atm. SO HAPPY

and
                  Doing the happy dance in Georgia!

and
                  Irene's contacts in Planned Parenthood and women's clinics in Alabama are rejoicing right now. They are redoubling their efforts in state elections, as well.

and
                  Halle[ahem]lujah!
                  This moved me more than I thought it would. Perhaps we are better than trump portrays, perhaps I was desperate for a sign.
                  Regardless...I'm smiling.

and then this curmudgeon ...
                  An 8550 vote lead, with 98.9 percent reporting means Jones is going to win, but it's not enough to restore my faith in Alabama.

That's a lot of votes for a guy whose main claim to fame was thumbing his nose at the Supreme Court.

Okay, so yeah, that was me.

But I bet you can't spot the Texan in that crowd. No fair looking for all caps.

I can't get excited about this. I don't know Jones. He's never run for national office before, or any office as far as I know, and he's heading for the senate, not because he was able to make a good case for his favored policies, but because his opponent did a flaming crash and burn.

You'd have to have been there for Obama's senate race in Illinois to fully appreciate this.

Obama had no mandate other than to keep on being faithful to his wife, because that was what brought down all of his opponents. And now Jones has no mandate other than to avoid stripping and pawing fourteen-year-olds.

This is no way to run a country.

I want my senator to go to Washington with a mandate for his economic policy, for example, one that's been audited, and shows better outcomes than his opponent's which was also audited, but adopted despite the lower outcomes because some other social good was said to outweigh the difference.

That's the kind of decision I want to make, not "which of these folks is least likely to embarrass me" if I ever have to acknowledge voting for them.

Something in-between would be nice, too.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                    I'm having troubles processing how that could sound like sour grapes.
                    Well, like if I really wanted Moore to win, but was hiding my disappointment by saying "we're better off this way" - it would probably have been a trainwreck if he won. (though I actually think it probably would have)

Cause I'm sighing with relief, too.

My liberal friends ... who think of me as some kind of radical right winger because I have nice things to say about Reagan, and GHW, and even Bush the Lesser ... are squealing with glee right now.

Straight offa my pal d's FB page, starting with her OP:
                    WAY TO GO, ALABAMA! YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

you just renewed my faith in humanity
                    and that ain't no small thang

and ...
                    I'm screaming atm. SO HAPPY

and
                    Doing the happy dance in Georgia!

and
                    Irene's contacts in Planned Parenthood and women's clinics in Alabama are rejoicing right now. They are redoubling their efforts in state elections, as well.

and
                    Halle[ahem]lujah!
                    This moved me more than I thought it would. Perhaps we are better than trump portrays, perhaps I was desperate for a sign.
                    Regardless...I'm smiling.

and then this curmudgeon ...
                    An 8550 vote lead, with 98.9 percent reporting means Jones is going to win, but it's not enough to restore my faith in Alabama.

That's a lot of votes for a guy whose main claim to fame was thumbing his nose at the Supreme Court.

Okay, so yeah, that was me.

But I bet you can't spot the Texan in that crowd. No fair looking for all caps.

I can't get excited about this. I don't know Jones. He's never run for national office before, or any office as far as I know, and he's heading for the senate, not because he was able to make a good case for his favored policies, but because his opponent did a flaming crash and burn.

You'd have to have been there for Obama's senate race in Illinois to fully appreciate this.

Obama had no mandate other than to keep on being faithful to his wife, because that was what brought down all of his opponents. And now Jones has no mandate other than to avoid stripping and pawing fourteen-year-olds.

This is no way to run a country.

I want my senator to go to Washington with a mandate for his economic policy, for example, one that's been audited, and shows better outcomes than his opponent's which was also audited, but adopted despite the lower outcomes because some other social good was said to outweigh the difference.

That's the kind of decision I want to make, not "which of these folks is least likely to embarrass me" if I ever have to acknowledge voting for them.

Something in-between would be nice, too.
                    What I've been saying - I would love to vote for a politician because I thought he was the best qualified, rather than the least bad choice.

Comment

Well, like if I really wanted Moore to win, but was hiding my disappointment by saying "we're better off this way" - it would probably have been a trainwreck if he won. (though I actually think it probably would have)

What I've been saying - I would love to vote for a politician because I thought he was the best qualified, rather than the least bad choice.
                      What's your favorite color unicorn?
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        What's your favorite color unicorn?
                        Diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                          Republicans may have dodged a fusillade of bullets with this loss. Moore would've been the perfect example for the Democrats to use to tarnish the Republican image next year, and may have been another loose cannon in the Republican senate ranks.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Shelia Jackson Lee congratulates "Doug Moore" for his win.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017...em-protesters/
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Republicans may have dodged a fusillade of bullets with this loss. Moore would've been the perfect example for the Democrats to use to tarnish the Republican image next year, and may have been another loose cannon in the Republican senate ranks.
                              Alabama Conservatives Made Their Stand
                              Where do we go from here? The answers are obvious. Nominate conservatives with integrity. Retake the seat. Reject the vicious, malicious politics of men like Steve Bannon. Center the political fight around ideas and values that men and women are proud to vote for. In the meantime, Alabama conservatives have sent their message. May the GOP hear it loud and clear.

Amazing how folks can talk their way all the way around Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Shelia Jackson Lee congratulates "Doug Moore" for his win.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017...em-protesters/
                                She's so precious. Bless her heart.

Comment